Legal Statement - PF

ajmac

Did anyone catch the KW legal statement on Pathfinder?

Makes for a good read and fits in rather well with the documentry shown yesterday evening on BBC1. I had never really thought about how exposed one was to stating an opinion or relaying a poor customer experience. In the case of KW, people were repeating gossip which is somewhat different....and it was refreshing to see a full detailed response to the gossip, rather than simply a 'it's not true and I'm not going into any more detail', I was impressed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01112ws/See_You_in_Court_Episode_4/

Edited by ajmac

Robin,

Possibly because you are not in the UK? I'm not sure, apparently is was a series, but I only watched part 4 last night, people being dragged to the courts over what they wrote on Forums which businesses considered detrimental to their reputation, even though it was all true!

robin craig

any other links so we can watch this?

It might be available on somthing like T.V.blinkx. but BBC Iplayer stuff can be difficult to locate on the web.

ajmac

........... I had never really thought about how exposed one was to stating an opinion or relaying a poor customer experience.

Although it was very interesting-(really good link which I wouldn't have bothered to watch otherwise) there is nothing really new in the documentary, miscarriages of justice and abuse of the English legal system have been rife for more years than I can remember, years ago the journalist and legal commentator Ludovic Kennedy pointedly remarked at the end of a rather inglorious episode in English juris prudence that "english justice was the best money could buy" and if anything I doubt things have gotten better despite the swingeing criticism of the english libel laws by the European Court (highest appellant court available to British subjects) in striking down the matter of the Mclibel two trial.

IMO the major problems with english libel law is the fact that truth is not actually a defence -that damage to reputation may be weighed more highly than the truth, that legal tourism is permited and the lack of an effective separation of powers in legislature -effectively a society that allows lawyers to become politicans and therefore law makers will have problems with its legal system, in the last 10 years about 1500 significant changes of law occured each year- the 17thcentury philosopher Decartes noted that a multitude of laws hampers justice- (Discourse on Method 1.)