latest purchase

chevpol

Only purchase at Stafford today.... Desert Wolly Pully!

Never even seen one before

Mark

Is it an issue item ? Nice either way....!

I think the venerable woolly pully has almost gone from the British Army nowadays since being largely relegated to barrack wear, although today this is mostly Soldier 95 cammo....except for the odd regiment & corps ....?

Army Pullover Heavy Knit still referred to under the Rifles Regiment Golden Threads dress regs. However they refer to OG for Barrack Dress!

Interesting to see a Desert one, even thogh Desert Bloody Cold at Night.

Nice addition :D

Yes, that's a rather nice woolly Mark.

My-self picked up a pair of unissued (44Ptn.)? canvas jungle boots, unissued and they fit.at a very good price :)

Can do pic. if anyone intrested. Plus SLR butt holder and a unissued 58Ptn. GS Bergen.

• 1 year later...
label reads :-

JERSEY MAN'S HEAVY SAND.

CHEST 112CM

Mark

PS, how would I get rid of the stain? Looks like oil!

Hi Mark, do you happen to still have this jersey? I'm still serving and wondered if you could get me the NATO Stock Number (13 digit number divided into 3 parts) printed on the label so I can see if they are still being made. I suspect not but you never know and I reckon it could be perfect for an Afghan winter!

Many thanks,

Jonno

Small but significant point. Have you noticed, it's got a V neck. Rather than the USUAL issue CREW NECK?...

Is that actually an issue? I don't know about the Army, but the RN have had crew and V neck wooly pullies - I've got both types.

Andy

So did/do the RAF.......seems there was some changing around of patterns from roughly 84-85 from crew-neck to Vee (in the RAF it least when I received a ribbed blue-grey V-neck to replace my knackered crew-neck).......

Then followed later by plain knits instead of ribbed (in a mixed wool-nylon), but not entirely sure where the forces are now with pullovers....? I think the RAF and Navy still issue them, but the Army seem to have lost/reduced use of the pully since CS95 came in.........

I think the RAF and Navy still issue them, but the Army seem to have lost/reduced use of the pully since CS95 came in.........

It's a source of some amusement to the other services why the Army insist on turning up to office meetings in full DPM. It doesn't work very well as camouflage at Abbey Wood or Main Building! :-)

Andy

It's a source of some amusement to the other services why the Army insist on turning up to office meetings in full DPM. It doesn't work very well as camouflage at Abbey Wood or Main Building! :-)

Andy

I've heard similar grumblings from long (still) serving friends, bemoaning the fact that the Army has since "lost" a smart form of garb for office and general non-operational wear since the pully, worn with lightweights, went out of favour for CS95 to be worn in place......whereas the other services have retained an equivalent to the older style......

I've heard similar grumblings from long (still) serving friends, bemoaning the fact that the Army has since "lost" a smart form of garb for office and general non-operational wear since the pully, worn with lightweights, went out of favour for CS95 to be worn in place......whereas the other services have retained an equivalent to the older style......

With the introduction of FAD all soldiers are issued (in addition to the new No2's) extra trousers and fawn shirts with tie to be worn with issued shoes, together with stable belt and in winter months Jersey Heavy Wool, looks very smart and a lot of units now have Wednesday or Friday Dress for all office bound troops (especially Officers & SNCOs).

Absolutely nothing wrong with PCS CU in my opinion but yes lightweights and jumpers were very smart.

It's funny how things go round in circles....seemingly early on in WW2 many pre-war regulars were bemoaning the loss of serge service dress when BD came in.........and then the same 20-odd years later when BD went out in favour of other garments culminating in the denims, shirt and pully for general barrack dress........then a few decades later CS95..!! :)