Wheel nut torque help!

Mk3iain

Question

I have looked through all the manuals I have ( I dont have the correct maint. manual) for the Milly Mk3 recovery and all it says for wheel nut tightening is the sequence but no mention of torque. I have looked up the charts for 7/8 BSF but I dont know the grade.

I may just be usless at finding things but is there a recommended torque for this application?

Many thanks in anticipation:tup::

15 answers to this question

A k3 Militant should have 1" wheel studs according to the user manual.

Hi Mike

Yes but the parts book says 7/8 BSF !

I have just been and checked with a measuring stick and it is around 7/8 diam.:nut:

Iain

Antar and 30T constructor are 1" but I must say I thought Milly's were 7/8". Just saying what the manual says, and as we know manuals are not always reliable....

I believe 30T Constructors use 7/8" wheel nuts (unless the studs on mine were so badly worn that 7/8 would just fit :-D).

Iain - if you need wheel nuts, 7/8" BSF are still available through commercial vehicle / trailer spares stockists as there are still quite a few artic trailers running on this size.

They should be much tighter than 75 ft/lbs.

Just looking at the Scammell EKA handbook and for 7/8" BSF nuts, they should be 325 - 375 lbsf/ft

Richard - is that just before, or just after, the 10ft steel tube on the wheel wrench goes BANG ? :cool2:

No, really, don't do this at home......but in all seriousness I guess the correct torque is not far below this point??

Edited by N.O.S.

Richard - is that just before, or just after, the 10ft steel tube on the wheel wrench goes BANG ? :cool2:

Tony, you will not believe this, but the EKA nuts still worked loose and our REME recovery crew carried a torque wrench to regularly check them. Mainly rears and I think it was possibly due to when bogie blocking was actuated. This all came to a head when early one morning they were returning to the Workshops and were amazed to see a wheel overtake them on the inside, cross the road and dissappear into a wood. They chained up the rear most hub and hobbled in on five wheels. Then had to go back in daylight to search for the wheel :D

Many thanks all!:saluting:

I have been thinking of getting a torque wrench after finding some not very tight nuts that I had put on a few weeks ago but wanted to make sure. I would rather shell out a bit for the right tool than have one of these wheels overtake me!! I am happy to go ahead go ahead and the wrench and it may come in handy for other stuff. At least I will have peace of mind, jumping on a 4ft bar was not the solution.

Cheers

Iain

375 foot pounds is serious torque!!its gonna cost a fair bit to get a torque wrench that goes that high we use large torque wrenches at work preload on a 777 wheel nut is 500 foot pounds and thats hard work to achieve and i aint a small chap!

375 foot pounds is serious torque!!its gonna cost a fair bit to get a torque wrench that goes that high we use large torque wrenches at work preload on a 777 wheel nut is 500 foot pounds and thats hard work to achieve and i aint a small chap!

I know what you mean but I had the chance of a Norbar wrench only a year old with little use for £120 that will do the job.