RMP/RAF Police

chevpol

Morning all :wave:

A question for the MP section of HMVF (was going to say m..nk.y section, but I dont fancy being thrown into the back of a 4 tonner and beaten up for "resisting arrest" :D)

What is the correct way to wear the hi vis tabard, over the webbing or under the webbing as I have seen various piccys of them being worn both ways.

I assume that the RAF Police didnt wear them?

What did the RAF Police wear with the NBC suit when on duty? I assume beret, but what would they wear to say that they are RAFPol?

TTFN

Mark :angel:

I was not a "snowdrop" and so not an expert (of anything!) I was a "nav.insty" but I do seem to remember RAFP would wear an armband to make themselves stand out when in NBC atire, when masked up it would be a hard lid same as everyone else. In a full goon suit it was just about impossible to tel who people were so a label on the chest with rank and name was required.

I remember the story of an armed robbery in the local post office at Wildenrath by a guy in full nbc and mask using a SMG. He forgot about his label!!! (This was back in the early eighties.)

I hope this is of some use!

I was not a "snowdrop" and so not an expert (of anything!) I was a "nav.insty" but I do seem to remember RAFP would wear an armband to make themselves stand out when in NBC atire, when masked up it would be a hard lid same as everyone else. In a full goon suit it was just about impossible to tel who people were so a label on the chest with rank and name was required.

I remember the story of an armed robbery in the local post office at Wildenrath by a guy in full nbc and mask using a SMG. He forgot about his label!!! (This was back in the early eighties.)

I hope this is of some use!

As a Flt Sgt in Germany my war role was as an incident commander; I often had RAF P patrols under my command at incidents. Their dress was the same as everyone else but with the addition of the RAFP armband. On Station once the alert/warning state deemed NBC suites to be donned, helmets were the only headdress.

TED

p.s. yes what a d*ckhead that lad was robbing the bank I was at Laarbruch when it happened 1980 or 81 !!

As a Flt Sgt in Germany my war role was as an incident commander; I often had RAF P patrols under my command at incidents. Their dress was the same as everyone else but with the addition of the RAFP armband. On Station once the alert/warning state deemed NBC suites to be donned, helmets were the only headdress.

TED

p.s. yes what a d*ckhead that lad was robbing the bank I was at Laarbruch when it happened 1980 or 81 !!

Time had put doupt in my mind about the incident but I remember the buz at the time!!

I also remember my first night at Bruggen looking in SROs to see a RAFP(dog handler) was being done for beastiality.

Happy days.

Iain

TED

Ted,

thanks for that, can you confirm that the RAFP armband was worn with the NBC suite?

Mark

Time had put doupt in my mind about the incident but I remember the buz at the time!!

Iain

LOL Any one up for re-enacting this one, If we do it at several locations up and down the country they will have a dicky fit.

I don't know put ideas in to evil minds you should be ashamed of your self.

On the other hand Imagine leaving an event to call at a chippy in full NBC with sniffer as well...lol

Jon

The RAF Plod had two armbands issued in the early 1980's......

One was the wool-cloth horizontally-banded black-red-black type with the black embroidered letters "RAFP".....it fastened at the rear by a set of 3-rows of press-studs....this was intended for wear on the No.1 SD jacket and that bloody awful zip-up jacket in RAF blue-grey material that nobody wore (I don't blame 'em either)....

The other was a printed-cotton armband in the same colours as above but bearing a white-printed "RAF Police" on the black banding (the "RAF" bit on the top band and the "Police" bit on the lower).....in the centre on the red band were printed in white the relevant rank chevrons from corporal through to flight sergeant......the armlet was fastened at the rear with velcro and was poorly printed and very thin....

Nobody knew what this thing was actually for (a few suggestions spring to mind), but it was occasionally worn on the sleeve of the NBC suit and the blue waterproof "crisp-packet" jacket.....but it was so awful it usually fell off after 5 minutes or so.......

Ted,

thanks for that, can you confirm that the RAFP armband was worn with the NBC suite?

Mark

Sorry didn't make myself clear; Once we went into exercise/alert mode their dress was the same as everyone else but with the addition of the arm band, So the answer is yes arm band with NBC suit.

TED