Lwt chassis

plainmilitary

Question

Hi gents, this might be a silly question, but can a Lwt body be fitted to a ser3 SWB chassis? Now the GS is more or less complete, nows the time for me to sort the FFR out. The thing is, the FFR chassis is shot to bits. Theres holes and rust all over the place, far to much to be welded in my book. If posible I would like to fit the FFR body to my old ser3 SWB chassis. She is in very good condition and seams to be a waist as I have no real use for it. I would have to get a set of new fuel tank out riggers but is there anything else I will need to do? Any help will be greatfully recieved.

Many thanks.

Tony.

12 answers to this question

Hi gents, this might be a silly question, but can a Lwt body be fitted to a ser3 SWB chassis? I would have to get a set of new fuel tank out riggers but is there anything else I will need to do? Any help will be greatfully recieved.

Many thanks.

Tony.

Hi Tony, Think I have posted on my restoration project photo's of my new chassis being painted, may be enough detail to show you some difrences. Personaly I think there may be a few, poss. only minor parts like brackets etc, (being yours is 24v) You realise the out riggers are slightly narrower. More knowlegable folks will put you right. My chassis is for a 12v L/W.

Andy.

I think you'll find the rear cross-member, and all the outriggers will need to be shortened a bit to fit an airportable body to standard chassis. Replacing the bulkhead outriggers, I tend to find that I need to cut about an inch off to make the standard replacement parts fit. There are other minor differences, especially on an FFR chassis, with the battery position in particular.

It's all possible, but quite a lot of work. Personally if you plan to keep the LWT, I'd recommend fitting a new galvanised chassis built for one. Whilst it obviously will cost more, it will last well, save lots of time getting it together, it means everything has a good chance of being fitted in exactly the right place, and it will hold a better residual value in the long run. Many airportables I've seen, have been patched and repaired over the last 40 years, and most have issues with door shuts, or poor panel fit, owing to poor chassis/bulkhead repairs.

Jules

Many thanks chaps, lot of great info there and Robin, I never thought of that. I to would be a bit put of buying a Lwt body on a civvie chassis. The chassis I have at the moment is totally shot, Spent most of Sunday looking around it trying to work out weather it was worth welding new spring hangers, front bumb irons, tank hangers the list is endless. I think I might look into a new chassis, will also need floor pans, seats, possible new engine, lights, tyres, drivers side front wing light unit, radiator & oil cooler, grill. Bring this old girl back to life is a challenge but we never give up till we run out of money or breath..

Many thanks again.

Tony.

Yes it can be done as detailed above, but why devalue your vehicle.

If I went to buy a lightweight with a replacement chassis i would be happy to do so but with a civvy chassi under it I would likely walk away from it.

R

Must admit, I second that.

It would come down to cost benifit. Are you going to get a second hand chassis , with all that entails? Or do you bite bullet get a new, and think about galvanised, LWT chassis built. Advantages are a straight Meccano job, off one onto the other. Disadvantage would cost more. Waht's the value of the restored vehicle, and what workshop facilities and personal skills do you have? The advantage of a new chassis , especially galvanised, it will be the Grandkid's problem next time.

Thanks for the kind words guys,

My approach would be value and originality and looks.

Fit a galvanised chassis and consider spraying it with some kind of treatment like a rubberised coating that gives it the look of an OEM vehicle and then you have the best of all worlds, looks and originality and value.

I am always mindfull that we are all only temporary custodians of our vehicles and I have for one been stymied by many POSTS ie Previous Owner Stupid Tricks" such as buthcery of 24 volt systems when it works very well if done properly.

R

Tony, have a look at my restoration project. I have been listing the cost as I have progressed to give folks a idea of how much such as your project COULD cost (each rebuild could be different) Again as Robin states I will never need to worry about the chassis or the next owner. But at the end of the day it's all down to cost. My savings for the double glazing have all but gone!! :D

Have just been back over to the rover and boy it's worse than I first thought. She was obtained for the purpose of a donor vehicle for the GS Lwt.

The end result after Yogi and mark have finished with it is. A few bits from the engine, a good bulkhead that I will remove and tidy up, a 24 volt starter motor, again I will remove and tidy to my best ability, a few radio plugs, but you can buy better of the net. Rear tube minus tail gate and fixings and thats about it. Chassis is a basket case with the whole rear end rotted beyond repair. rear spring hanger has gone through the chassis and twisted the spring. The bonnet is good and the pasenger side wing is 90% good, just a bit of pannel beating needed. No front lights, no indicaters, no grill, radiator, oil cooler, grill mesh, seats, the dash has been wrecked when it was at the paint balling site, all glass gone including the wind screen. All the bits I can recover, I will but as it is, I really don't see this vehicle ever being back on all four wheels let alone the road. The parts for this Lwt will cost an arm and a leg. I think it would be cheaper to buy a restored one.

Tony.