Series 3 Lightweight 24v FFR Winterised

Hi Wayne, put a comment on my restoration blog re. my Airportable about these switches.

Were playing me up big time regards the fuel sender working intermitant. Turned out the internal spring on the switch was either corroded and/or weak. Contact made when the plunger is out.

Just a thought as they are a ... to get to when fitted in situ. Replaced and prob. solved.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I think I got a good purchase as they don't come up very often. I really wanted this so the truck looks correct, even if it isn't plumbed in from day one.

Out of a S3 3/4 Ton winterised so correct kit.

Any comments please as bought off FleBay for under £60. Which I think is okay.

Other missing items are available and included, but not in shot.

At least winterised will look winterised :D

Cheers

arctic heater won.jpg

Good buy !!

I did think I did okay Tony.

A bit of a spruce up and all will look the part. One of my windscreen blower waves had rotten a lot, but the other was serviceable. I spotted one in the image so at least now a pair. possibly 3. also door tops in image so they can be created if a copy needed.

I just need the other junction for the outlet off the thermostat housing and I think I am there with all the bits. Will follow the routing off the images you loaned Disco Daves site :)

• 1 month later...

A massive thank you to someone is owed as I collected these today. Merry Christmas to ME! :D:D:D

20120506_140849.jpg

20120506_140858.jpg

20120506_140939.jpg

20120506_140907.jpg

20120506_140916.jpg

20120506_140927.jpg

Does anyone know what the tubular rod with flat ends is for as not seen in a lightweight before.

Also the fan on the heater is 12v not 24v, but I guess I could fit a step down relay from 24v to 12v. Also does anyone know how these were switched as the wiring is not genuine to the fan I believe, so that needs to be corrected.

However as a collection of parts for an Arctic Heater...........Very Nice Indeed :shock: :D:D:D:D:D

One of the dispersal spiral wound hoses is damaged and squashed, but appears to be a thin 'Tin' foil wound paper tube of sorts. Is there a modern equivalent still out there to match anyone????

More Pics

20120506_172626.jpg

20120506_172639.jpg

20120506_172651.jpg

Heater pipes take off as per Disco Daves example

20120506_173146.jpg

Curious as to the 2 possible take off water pipe options on the flow cycle, which would be 12v and which 24v as suspect they standard alternator position on the 12v Lightweight would require the straight out coupling and the 24v as per the image above as only needs to clear belt and idler pulley??????? Any Ideas Tony?? Anyone??

Tony I have just checked the Blueprint Drawing and the side elevation seems to suggest an outward and down part, with a hose elbow. Then a sleeve coupling and then a long length of tubing as the attached.

This would suggest that the arrangement I have stacked is more likely, but rather than a long snaking hose from this is is done in a more directional manner.......

Thoughts matey .......It also shows the vertical rod we mused over earlier with a dotted line and note..

BlueprintDWG.jpg

This bit was straight forward

PlumbingwithValveinsitu.jpg

The hoses that came with Arctic heater and the blueprint suggest that this could be applicable as a detail??

ArcticHeatertakeoffhose.jpg

I was stripping the cab Smiths flat heater as the case is like a T Bag and wondered if this rheostat was still available to buy. 24v.

HeaterRheostat.jpg

I acquired a 24v smiths heater motor for very little money only to see that case is longer and fan runs in the opposite direction. Can anyone trace what vehicle the newer motor is for. It is NOS and supposedly for a Land Rover, but may now be incorrect I think?

SmithsHeaters.jpg

Nice when bits are carefully made good and then spend some time on a shelf in the house for safe keeping.

20120515_115154.jpg

20120515_115236.jpg

Also got stuck into stripping back down after house move to get cracking jobs tackled recently;

1. Complete strip down on top vent panel.

2. Top coat throttle linkages, brackets and oil bath housing and support in satin black.

3. Reassemble fuel change over assembly.

4. Remove layshaft and output shaft from gearbox to schange bell hosuing after breaking up as a result of seized clutch to flywheel.

5. Remove rear body panels

6. remove and strip down tailgate assembly to allow galv parts to be blasted and epoxy primed / top coated.

7. Sort out all old scrap from old rotten chassis etc.

8. Strip windscreen and remove old damaged glass panels. Windscreen to be blasted and epoxy primed.

9. Remove cargo lashing down point, cables and fittings from rear tub.

10. Start to burn off residue from old winterised material and Evo Stick adhesive inside of tub.

Retain front brackets from old S3 chassis for replacement chassis to allow flexible brake lines to be adjusted.

I will take some more photos of the above progress to add a visual diary of what took place.

Started the numbing task of taking back paint and removing the dreaded insulation sheet from the tub.

20120515_133900.jpg

One attempt was blow torching it off using moderate controlled heat. However on the seat base a warm air gun on the back face seemed to warm the adhesive enough to make it go tacky again and then peel off! That only worked where there were large pieces intact.

I did uncover some unit markings on the rear nearside end panel.

20120515_133831.jpg

Also uncovered the data plates on the drivers side seat base. After some rubbing and rubbing some more, eventually got the adhesive off.

20120515_142339.jpg

20120515_145548.jpg

The rear tailgate was covered in a rubber material I guess to stop trips and slips etc. The hole in the cover I assume would or should have a grommet or cover plate?

20120515_142032.jpg

20120515_142117.jpg

I need to crack on with the engine and first I need to replace the bellhousing crossmember that sits too high for an S3. I carefully cut out the proper one from my rotten chassis. It needs some plating, but is serviceable.

20120515_142219.jpg

Picture of midification needed for brake lines at front.

20120515_141937.jpg

The seatbase has been hacked to no doubts remove the gearbox at some point. Which is bonkers as the S3 Chassis had a removeable gearbox cross member support to prevent this lazy S2 hatchet job. Question is can such a cut be carefully welded. I would say so!???

Also the seatbase shows where the entry point is for the hot water return via the valve set. Does anyone with winterised knowledge know what rubber boot would have been used to seal between orifice in seatbase and hose???

20120515_142248.jpg

A very good friend from the forum with a VERY NICE collection offered some old spares that were serviceable for my winterised lightweight.

Very nice as the spare heater has a 24v Blower and the correct electrics. My modified to 12v did not and had the screening box omitted.

24vBlowerandscreenedpack.jpg

24Blowertopside.jpg

24vBlowerSerialNo.jpg

One part handed over was a new back plate still all wrapped up. Upon closer inspection is has two additional outlets of a slightly larger diameter.

BackPanel6.jpg

I am intrigued to know if this was used in another Land Rover. Possibly a 101?????

Any ideas please..........

Edited by Rover8FFR
Typo