Series 3 Lightweight 24v FFR Winterised

Oh - so yours is earlier !

I wonder if there was on published after the March 1981 version ? Have to check , possibly not as the Mid 1980 brake changes can / should be accessed from the S3 Parts Catalogues ( mine is June 1988 - but probably one between '80 & '88)..

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi folks. Dont want to confuse the above. But for information I have parts book, Code No. 61278.. May 75'

LV6MT9/2530-99-823-6024 SHUTTLE VALVE brake failure switch.

Same here in the second edition July 1982. part no 599443

There is also Parts, kit, shuttle valve 2530-99-824-3020 part no SP2863

Like I said - a bit mind boggling as to early late bracket & how mounted to late bracket , take a couple of Asprin and then read the following http://forum.emlra.org/viewtopic.php?t=5382&highlight=pdwa+valve as a "Initial" aid to identification if you wish to obtain the correct valve/switch/seal kit to fit to existing pipework or overhaul a old valve. Likewise if doing a full re-pipe - then always best to keep with the design of valve for that time-line rather than ad hoc - there are good reasons , one being that you don't want a total Pick-N-Mix of tubing nut threads & SAE / DIN flaring. None of the catalogues give accurate change points of design of valve or in fact cover all the Solihull as builds.

Due to metrication (cylinders stayed UNF) - best to limit the changes to a minimum, metric to UNF at the bridge pipe (as Rover did)

IMG_0245.jpg

Same here in the second edition July 1982. part no 599443

There is also Parts, kit, shuttle valve 2530-99-824-3020 part no SP2863

Andy / Clive we are talking optional equipment parts catalogues not standard parts catalogues.

The valve PDWA is not covered in my LTWT parts catalogue???????

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst doing a bit more on the chassis strip, namely removing rear axle, springs, shocks etc I killed a little time while the heat and oil worked into the spring hanger bolts etc by removing some of the asphaltic, bitumastic slop off the underside of the rear tub with a heat gun and scraper.

What I noticed was, that apart from the underside of the body being painted DBG, the under body support rails were also.

I have seen so many threads where they are removed, cleaned and then re-galved as part of a restoration. Thinking they were all like that from the factory I was surprised to see paint underneath (pictures to follow)!

Going back to the spring hanger / shackle bolts and I suffered on one fixing the same as the front when I removed that. Both ironically on the drivers side.......Bolt seized solid into bush! Heated and soaked for about half an hour. Left it and came back and nothing so had to angle grind the chassis to release the spring / axle complete.

Also the shock absorbers appear to be a genuine LR item as painted dark blue with a rectangular label / sticker about 100x50mm. Are these standard shocks still available by this manufacturer.....Did try the compression and rebound stroke and they are even and no signs of weepage on the rams when fully extended do may just rub back, prime and repaint, or given the cost I would surmise cheaper to replace????

All that remains for chassis now is to remove rear bumprettes and lifting eyes, along with mudflaps / brackets etc and hack up chassis for scrap man.

Looking forward to getting the replacement chassis in on tressles and then the build up can commence...Yey!

Hope whilst I was in my dry warm garage the LR fans out there that ventured to Billing didn't get to wet......No doubts threads to follow. :D

Edited by Rover8FFR

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to remove the rear bumptettes from the wrotten chassis, lifting eyes and the winterised mudflaps as per the attached image.

The only other mudflap details I have seen are on Disco Dave's site and they differ to mine. Looking at the perfectly cut and curved edges I believe these to be a genuine part albeit different to other images / drawings. Does anyone recall how these looked when being fitted by you old Reme boys.

IMAG1141.jpg

Cheers Andy it is progressing but not as fast as I woulld like but progress none the less.

Started carving up the chassis tonight with a little more umph and almost got a manhandle lump of rotten tin to play with.

Edited by Rover8FFR

Well after uploading some images of my early type winterised mudflaps that were cut around the rear lifting eyes I measured them up tonight and then drew them up using AutoCAD. Converted to PDF for upload.

The rubber material is approximately 6mm (1/4 inch) thick and the dimensions suit my Lightweight, but you made need to adjust locally to suit your own vehicles / builds tolerances.

Hope the attached is of value to other Lightweight owners / restorers.

All dimensions are in Metric (mm).

Cheers ;)

S3 Winterised Lightweight Rear Mudflaps 1976.pdf

Thanks Andy I did notice yours were not galv.

The under rails on my 2a Rover 8FFR are galv, so I believed they all would be given the environment they would be in underneath etc.

I guess a good epoxy primer and 2pack top coat would protect them quite well and an application of waxoil would mimic the bitumin coating as standard without the pitfalls rust wise.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Well the old chassis has been chopped up sufficient to clear out and the replacement chassis set on stands / blocks for some initial repainting and then the rebuild up.

I noticed the original shocks were painted blue and I found the remnance of a manufacturers label as the photo. Are these still available. Does anyone know???? FT any ideas m8???

Also added a picture of the rear of the generator for Clive, but must post under another thread elsewhere also for him.

Question....What are the differences between a S2a chassis and a S3 for a lightweight????

IMAG1166.jpg

IMAG1161.jpg

IMAG1158.jpg

IMAG1159.jpg

IMAG1160.jpg

Not a lot of work but essentially pictures on back of comments from FT regarding chassis items and brakes.

S3 Brake Bracket on Hub Confirmed

Bell Housing Cross Member (Old Chassis).

New Chassis with the S2/S3 lightweight chassis quirks

Markings on Rear Diff. Part Numbers???

IMAG1196.jpg

IMAG1186.jpg

IMAG1187.jpg

IMAG1188.jpg

IMAG1189.jpg

IMAG1190.jpg

IMAG1191.jpg

IMAG1192.jpg

IMAG1193.jpg

IMAG1194.jpg

IMAG1195.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Uncovered the service plate on the side of my engine block yesterday as its a preserved engine.

Can anyone explain the details beyond oversized bores and pistons.

Thanks

Hi Wayne,

Your engine was built on a rebuild programme at 44 District Workshop REME, Ashford, Kent. Sadly, no longer there, as the High Speed railway to Paris cuts across the site now.

I think the number stamped vertically is possible the last two groups of the NSN for this unit, when I was building engines on the line there, some years earlier, we did not stamp this in, but with so many variants of these engines, it may have been done for ease of identity.

If you found the word "Preserved" painted on the engine, this was done after testing and prior to packing, means it was sprayed inside with preservative then sealed up.

regards, Richard

The "S" stamps mean it has Standard size crank journals, ie Mains and Big end, probably a new crank was fitted.

According to the L'wt Parts Book dated may 1975 :-

LV7RU / 2805-99-822-9494

ENGINE,GASOLINE

c/w clutch, 24 electrics , up to engine No. 95109476A

Rover No. 608326

-----

That NSN would probably be just for a brand new Ex-Solihull crated cartridge.

I have the odd FFR crated Lightweight FFR engine units , problem is they are stored with poor access. As soon as I can get to them - I will check all the labels on the crates.

• 1 month later...

Some time ago Ruxy asked about details and pics of the chassis I have that is a S2/S3 crossover for the Lightweight.

I attach the images I took today as I have to move here soon due to a change in circumstances, and so I am getting the FFR in a state for transportation. Hence the unrefurbed bits being re-fixed temporarily!

Tony let me know if you need more buddy!

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0035.jpg

IMAG0036.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

IMAG0041.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0046.jpg

• 3 months later...

A query! What is the best way to clean a scruffy, mucky engine like mine?

In the past GUNK was always the product of choice, but are there any other DIY remedies.

Would a mild solution of caustic soda cause damage if well rinsed, but used to free off the grime.

I know it can be used as a paint stripper if consentrated like a gel / paste.

Regards

I always used to use Gunk did a very good job especially in conjunction with a hot water pressure washer.

This was also good for removing paint on alloy motorbike wheels.

Never tried caustic soda on anything other than decoking 2 stroke exhausts, mind you also used an oxyacetylene welding torch for that as well.

I do know caustic soda and aluminium alloy parts do not mix very well.

So I would be careful about my advice. I don't believe in Elves so the safety bit don't stand much chance either:-D

Mike