Grinding aluminium - explosion risk

fv1609

Nasty, lets hope our local friendly local terrorists don't read the same report !. :-(

As an aside it's bad news for a whole rang of reasons to grind "soft" metals like aluminium brass and copper, the inhalation of the dust is really bad news, aluminium will give you a very nasty silicosis and copper will poison you.

As if that's not bad enough you run the risk of the grinding disk exploding if and when you use it on steel as a result of particles of the soft meal becoming embedded in the wheel. This produces localised heating and expansion as a result of friction when grinding steel or cast iron.

Wheels at work used to have a big sign saying NO NON FERROUS METALS TO BE GROUND.

Pete

Any fine dust can be explosive, wood, metal, flour, custard powder!!

I seem to remember a news article in the 70's or early 80's about an explosion at a custard powder factory.

So remember to extract, ventilate, and think about possible ignition sources. ie don't go welding as soon as you've finished sanding or grinding etc.

Steve

Yes we had a flash in one of the pig buildings once. The building hadn't been washed for a long time as it hadn't been used so once we put some stock in there they stirred up all the fine dust particles at the same as the gas clicked on and ignited.............this flash went across the room in miliseconds but nothing was burnt :schocked:

The three storey factory where my father worked in the late sixties burnt down, that was an old Birds custard fatory at Ashchurch, Glos. The word was that custard powder had got under the floor boards and somehow ignited, you could see it burning from miles away :evil:

• 3 weeks later...

generate heat and ignite.

I thought they just corroded! But then what do I know, I'm just a materials engineer..... :roll:

Chris

----------------------

Galvanic corrosion occurs when a galvanic cell is formed between two dissimilar metals. The resulting electrochemical potential then leads to formation of an electric current that leads to electrolytic dissolving of the less noble material. This effect can be prevented by electrical insulation of the materials, eg. by using rubber or plastic sleeves or washers, keeping the parts dry so there is no electrolyte to form the cell, or keeping the size of the less-noble material significantly larger than the more noble ones (eg. stainless-steel bolts in an aluminum block won't cause corrosion, but aluminum rivets on stainless steel sheet would rapidly corrode.