Last of the Summer W(h)ine HAA site

Holmfirth HAA site, or what is left of it. ‘Twas a nice day so I had a mosey over to see what there was to see. I knew there wasn’t much left so it was worth it just to record the remains, should the farmer decide it has outlived its use as a sheep shelter and knock the whole lot down.

Given its Summer Wine location I suppose it is quite appropriate that it is more than just ‘half cut’. J

The old GE image maybe gives a suggestion as to where the other three gun positions were but I make no firm claims for this. Looking at the site there are a number of odd bits of foundation here and there that maybe give a clue or two as to where everything else was, but they may be red herrings as there was quite extensive re-use of the surrounding area by the water board. So maybe these visible bits are remains of their activity.

And then there was another. A few miles away near Huddersfield is a much more extant site. Particularly impressive bit of concrete that I reckon probably had the range finder/ predictor set-up on it. Motor pool(?) building, ammunition store(?) and two remaining gun emplacements. Rather waterlogged so I couldn’t inspect very closely, but it might be worth another visit if we have a dry summer!

holmfirth 010.jpg

holmfirth 001.jpg

holmfirth haa 3.jpg

holmfirth 009.jpg

holmfirth 011.jpg

holmfirth 023.jpg

holmfirth 022.jpg

holmfirth 013.jpg

hudd 007.jpg

hudd 003.jpg

hudd 025.jpg

hudd 006.jpg

hudd 005.jpg

hudd 012.jpg

hudd 023.jpg

hudd 018.jpg

hudd 016.jpg

The site near Castle Hill, Huddersfield is excellent. As the pictures show there is a lot of the structures remaining. I've been there a couple of times to take photos. Waders are needed next time to have a look at the sunken ammo stores.

Have a look at the overhead, it shows the layout:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Farnley+Tyas,+Huddersfield&aq=1&sll=52.536273,-31.552734&sspn=26.164218,55.195312&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Farnley+Tyas,+Huddersfield,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.614614,-1.774619&spn=0.001629,0.005413&t=h&z=18

The site is on private land but there is a footpath quite close. There can't be many of them remaning with this much left. I do hope it remains. (Also I'm sure there is a bit more underneath! See photo)

DSC01036.jpg

DSC01054.jpg

DSC01052.jpg

Edited by Toolman
Added photos