Australian Centurion 169091

PScott

Looking good! Are you restoring her back to Vietnam spec and if so will you fit a 20 pdr?

I have the 20pdr "B" barrel as well as the 105mm......i havnt decided yet on whether i will retain the Vietnam configuration or i put back to the 5/1 spec.

I have all NEW original track guards and brackets / track bins , so the 5/1 config is problably the way i will go , but i will still keep the Vietnam spec guards and boxes in storage.

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Hi Tim, the RPG didn't penetrate , but caused a lot of spalling on the outer hull just behind the driver hatch and covers......if the driver hadn't of been closed down , he would of been in serious trouble."

Are you also going to delve into the crew compartments etc or hold off at the moment and concentrate on the externals?

Regards

Tim

Once the external hull and fittings are done , the interior will be next. The interior is in excellent complete condition.

I am trying to concentrate on the outer hull getting painted before we head into winter, so this is the priority at the moment.

Centurion 169091 is one of only two Australian Centurions currently in existence that retains the full range in theatre modifications undertaken in South Vietnam. Originally, 169091 was a Centurion Mk 5 ordered by the Australian Army in 1954, part of a larger order for 51 Centurions. It was manufactured by the Royal Ordnance Factory, Leeds, under the United Kingdom contract 6/FV/12738 and received the British Equipment Registration Marking 99BA95. On receipt it was placed in storage.

Late in the first quarter of 1960, 169091 entered service with 1st Armoured Regiment and was still at the regiment in 1962. During the vehicle wireless replacement program in the early 1960s it was configured as a control tank, with two C42 and one B47 radios, indicating that it served with either regimental headquarters or one of the squadron headquarters. At some point between 1964 and 1969 it went through the tank rebuild program at 4 Base Workshops, Bandianna and was uparmoured to Centurion Mk 5/1 status. It also received the 100 gallon long range fuel tank, .50 cal ranging machine gun and was prepared to receive the infra red kit.

During November 1969 the vehicle was dispatched to South Vietnam where it was taken onto the account of 1st Forward Delivery Troop in December. It remained there for 10 months during which time it had the infra red kit installed, along with other in theatre modifications including the removal of the smoke dischargers and new Vietnam specific mudguards made from ½ inch plate.

In October 1970, 169091 replaced 169089 in Squadron Headquarters (SHQ) Troop, A Squadron, being allocated the call sign OD (Zero-Delta). It remained with A Squadron for only a short time, transferring to C Squadron on 17 December 1970, retaining call sign OD. While nominally an SHQ Troop vehicle, 169091 operated for most of its tour as part of a tank troop.

,In January 1971, C Squadron formed a fifth tank by combining SHQ tanks and the Special Equipment Troop tank 'dozer. Centurion 169091 became the troop leader's vehicle with the call sign 5. Early in August 1971, 5 Troop became the sole remaining operational tank troop in South Vietnam. The troop itself was withdrawn some two weeks later. All the squadron vehicles went through a very thorough wash program when they came in from the field. On 9 September 1971, two days after the last 5 Troop vehicles had finished being washed, C Squadron participated in a farewell parade at Nui Dat. The last tanks were then transported to Vung Tau where they went through another cleaning process before being shipped back to Australia.

On return to Australia it did not enter the tank rebuild programme, but was placed in storage still retaining its Vietnam modifications. It was lucky not to end up as a hard target on Puckapunyal tank range and was sold to Mr Tim Vibert of Empire Trading as part of a tender for 110 Centurions in the mid 1980s.

Been a busy weekend.

The original smoke discharger,s were remove as per the Vietnam spec. I located a set of dischagers and spent saturday fabricating new brackets for the dischargers, then removed the old tabs from the turret and welded on the new brackets and mounts.

Today, Sunday, removed the rear 100gal tank ( a heavy beast) and spent most of the day needle gunning the rear hull and tank.

Some pics of the new discharger mounts...

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finished a few more bits on 091......i remade the brackets that support the rear hull air deflector . Also the tow cable storage straps that normaly support the cable on each end of the fuel tank had been cut off and removed, so i fabricated new brackets and welded them in the correct position on the rear tank.

I also repaired the many damaged/stripped holes on the mantlet cover mounting strip.........many were stripped or had a dogy nut roughly welded to the strap. I used a magnetic rotor bouch and counter bored a hole , i then welded in an high tensile insert using the original 3/8 BSF thread........the results are very good, you cant tell even when looking close that a repair has been made.

A couple of pics....

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006-(2).jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just an update... If all goes well tomorrow weather wise, i will get the second coat on the hull. Next will be to remove the old road wheels, and re finish the suspension stations, then refit the brand new road wheels ( 24 in total) .

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0115.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice job ... very nice job. :-)

I see that it has not been modified to take the two sets of track links on the top of the hill plate to the left of the driver's hatch, which I find interesting.

Do you have a 20-pdr barrel for it (rather than the 105mm L7 barrel it is currently fitted with)?

Any chance of some interior shots of the fighting and drivers compartments? Have you made progress with the interior?

Mike C

Mike , 091 has the original drivers storage box on the hull plate, the attached pic is 091 in Vietnam, you can see the box in place..

I have the original "B" barrel .

I will get some interior shots on the weekend.

cent091.jpg

Thanks, Paul, I will look forward to them.

That would be the 'Drivers Hood and Windscreen Bin': do you have one, and the mounting 'stubs'?

Actually, after posting my comment yesterday, I noticed on an earleir set of images (less the paint...) that the top plate shows where the two bolts for the track link brackets were welded, just to the rear of the water tank cap mounting point, so it was fitted to the tank at some time.

The image of 169091 in SVN is interesting: the Unigun bracket is evident on the front of the turret long bin (right side): unusual item to see fitted in Vietnam.

Glad you have a Type B barrel: will look so much better with the 'right' barrel.

Regards

Mike C

• 4 weeks later...

Have just fitted the mantlet cover retaining strips, then mask them up so the bolt heads could be painted in situ.

Winter has hit with a vengeance , so painting will slow down till the warmer weather returns..

DSC_0172.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0164.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got my bits over from the UK....the brand new ( NOS) mufflers arrived and i also got NOS main Exhaust pipes/Engine pipes/Flex couplings and flange seals/Fish tails.

The mufflers were both left hand side, so i had to cut off all the fittings for the heat sheilds and the mounting plates and turn the muffler over , then weld all the fittings and mounts in the correct location. The inlet flange also had to be removed and turned 45 degrees , then re welded.

I am going to get the mufflers and all the pipes HPC ( heat proof ceramic) coated flat black........just painting them with high temp exhaust paint will not last. Since they are the last NOS mufflers that are known, i thought i may as well go the whole hog and coat them so they will last a long time.

I also got the IR light stripped, re-finised and painted...installed it this weekend also..

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

An absolutely amazing restoration ! very envious!That is a truly professional job your doing mate!

My thoughts.

....Echoing other folk I amazed how different she looks with no track skirts or turret lockers ..anyone else think she resembles a M26-ish Pershing /Patton?..also the lessons learnt by that late stage of WW2 are more obvious without her 'bits' covering her up.......especially the front profile ...to me it's very reminiscent of a Panther ??........

...Makes me think what a shame we didn't get them over to Europe 6 months or so earlier than we did...........I'll bet our boys would have loved taking on the Panthers and Tigers with a Centurion.....

....I'm guessing they must have done a lot of range testing against captured German armour in the immediate years after the war...does anyone have an info on such tests and how the best German armour faired when up against a Centurion?........I know a range test isn't a true test of a 'battle' ...especially given that the Cent was so very much superior in manouvrability/mobility and also (I presume?) firecontrol too...but.... I bet a few of the old tankers that survived combat against the best of the German armour would have been thinking .."oh man! if only we'd had these in Normandy!"