Fitting GMC brake liners.....

Jack

Thank god HMVF is back - thought my life had ended :schocked:

Anyway back to business :-D I replacing my brake liners on the GMC so have bought the liners from Rex, they have come with the rivits that I need.

So, how the hell do you fix the rivits to the shoes - they don't look like pop rivits to me :?

Cheers.

Jack.

I've done several Jack you need to make sure you strip the metal parts down properly first,then get a steel pin the same size as the flat part of the rivet and fix in a large vice very tightly.You then make a punch out of another piece of rod and grind the end to a make a pip in the center. Start at both ends place the liners on the back plates and work to the middle a clamp on the middle of the linings will also help line everything up I've found this way you shouldn't get the holes to mismatch.The other alternative is to have them bonded on.

Have fun I did :-o :-o :-o

regards

Steve

Job done!

Thanks due to Mr H Ferret :bow: kindly taught me how to do them last night in his workshop :schocked: ..didn't realise that you can get more than one size of spanners :x

Thanks mate, great job and thanks for the beer afterwards :-D - now that is service for you!

Little trick I learnt as a puppy to lightly countersink hole so the rivet has some area to splay into.

Bugger all in the box though, donations kindly received!!!!!!

Jack now realises that spanners come in open and closed ends!! and the graduated sizing has a reason not just aesthetics, have taken him through module 1 of precision wire brushing and use of jizer bath.

Module 2 the tea break bun run and the correct way of accounting the change

Module 3 job sheet creation separating the fact from the fiction

I'm sure others who have been thru the apprentice mill will have a few suggestions??!!

Regards Hardyferret

Whats all this 4mm stuff Mark??

I told an apprentice off over using metric seeing we were working with BSP galv tube

I reckoned he suffered with penile insecurity and felt happier saying to his girlfriend 75mm.........

No his name was Pete not Justin??

Never have been able to visualise mm inches make sense

Hardyferret Fred Dibnah had it spot on :-D :beer: :tup:

Never have been able to visualise mm, inches make sense

Hardy Ferret,

Ahh.. a man after my own heart, I curse the metric system, brought up with Imperial and will always be using the inch side of the ruler. When you are working on good old British engineering, it makes no sense to measure everything in metric.

Some of us have to uphold the British traditions, like Whitworth threads, etc.

Richard

Hardy Ferret,

Ahh.. a man after my own heart, I curse the metric system, brought up with Imperial and will always be using the inch side of the ruler. When you are working on good old British engineering, it makes no sense to measure everything in metric.

Some of us have to uphold the British traditions, like Whitworth threads, etc.

Richard

You were the lucky ones then - when I did my apprenticeship (over 34 years ago...) body shells were all in metric and powertrain components were all imperial!!!! :-o :-o :-o