H Licence Required for tracked wheelchair

What do you think to this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-12210986

Might be good PR if an instructor could help him out

Entirely reasonable to require H licence but I doubt whether this vehicle complies with C and U so probably can't be registered, hence licence would not be worth the paper it was written on (nor the plastic it was printed on)

At 2.1m wide you would not be able to get it through a standard doorway. Yes you could get into some shops, but really this has no reason to be used on pavements within town has it?

If you read the article there is no point offering instruction ( as a PR stunt or whatever) because the poor guy 's medical condition prevents him holding a provisional driving licence.

And if he only wants to use it on the beach, is he really being fair on parents who just want to relax knowing their kids are in a safe place?

Power source is not indicated in the article but if I/C should other on holiday have to listen to him driving up and down?

If he is not fit enough to hold a provisional licence, he maybe isn't fit enough to control this vehicle that could cause serious harm or death to other road uses and children walking nearby.

I feel for the guy but really he should not be using this where public can come into conflict with his "child mangler".

Edited by antarmike

I just saw this on another site but see others have beaten me in starting a thread.

I feel for the guy but agree without guards it looks lethal to inquisitive children, not to mention himself should he slip off his seat.

Certainly to use in any place where the public might be even if private land he needs adequate insurance.

However needing a license for a vehicle that has 3.8mph max speed is ridiculous.

As to noise on a beach hopefully he would be considerate and use simply to reach the tideline but not drive about all day.

The same applies to use only in appropriate open locations.

I guess he has a more appropriate scooter for town centres etc.