Boiling Vessel power cable

Greenjacket

Question

8 answers to this question

... the power socket on the Clansman 322 amplifier.

The 322 frequently are sold without the power cable and the correct plug is virtually unobtainable.

Many thanks

If this is the amp that comes up when I do a Google image search, it looks to me like a standard MIL spec (possibly MIL-D-38999) connector - bayonet fitting, five keyways unequally spaced, one of which is larger - is that the one?

If so, plugs are still available from manufacturers such as Amphenol - possibly RS components or Farnell might be able to help.

Alternatively, with a quick search I've just found a site called www.armyradio.com which is advertising Clansman power leads - which look to be original army surplus ones - for £10 each.

Google is your friend... hopefully.

If this is the amp that comes up when I do a Google image search, it looks to me like a standard MIL spec (possibly MIL-D-38999) connector - bayonet fitting, five keyways unequally spaced, one of which is larger - is that the one?

If so, plugs are still available from manufacturers such as Amphenol - possibly RS components or Farnell might be able to help.

Alternatively, with a quick search I've just found a site called www.armyradio.com which is advertising Clansman power leads - which look to be original army surplus ones - for £10 each.

Google is your friend... hopefully.

Hi

Many thanks but I think the cable which armyradio are advertising is the normal power cable which fits the 321,353. The 322 cable although 2 pin is much more substantial with different keyways on plug. i.e. squaddy proof.

Best

Hi

It's definitely a bigger 2-pin plug about twice the size of the usual 321/353/harness box power connector - I was lucky to get one with my 322. I believe someone I know in the West Midlands had a small stock of the plugs to fit the 322 last year at £35 each but has now sold out so I expect it will be necessary to figure out the right part number to order from Farnell - getting the body and pin size right is the easy bit, the keying is a whole other matter !

The connectors I have unfortunately have manufacturer's markings rather than NSNs but the info for what it's worth is:

The free plug (PSU end) is marked TEE 05 270 13 50 PB 9501 and (taking the wide key as 12 o'clock) has narrow keys at 3, 4, 7 and 9 o'clock looking into the cable.

The free socket (Amplifier end) is marked ?755 18 50 SC 1701 8525 and (taking the wide key as 12o'clock) has narrow keys at 4,5, 7 and 9 O'Clock. "?" represents characters too scuffed to read.

Both have "Thorn" embossed in the rubber insert that surrounds the pins or sockets.

Both connectors are 30mm diameter outside the locking ring, 24mm outside the fixed part of the body, and the pins or sockets are on 10mm spacing.

I have the opposite problem at the moment - a 50A PSU with no connector to fit the output socket !

The obvious (if not quite proper) solution would appear to be to replace the connectors on the PSU and 322 amp with a gland and short cable terminated in a normal civillian DC power connector like the Anderson SB 50 amp which costs about £6 a pair and has a lot more metal in it than the pins on the 322 power plug. That cable seemed to cause a problem either for the amp or PSU with RF getting in the power lead though - I originally fitted a twin red & black power lead to my 322 power plug and found that the amp or PSU tripped out when keyed CW at full power - fitting a shielded twin power lead as in the original 50A PSU to 322 installation cured that instantly. So I think any replacement also has to be a shielded connector.

Hope this helps

Iain

73 de G0OZS

PS if anyone is interested I have one working and one dead (trips RCD) Clansman 50A PSU left over from my last trip to Withams for sale with power leads but of course no output leads - please PM if interested.

Edited by g0ozs
Added 50A connector markings and dimensions

Hi

It's definitely a bigger 2-pin plug about twice the size of the usual 321/353/harness box power connector - I was lucky to get one with my 322. I believe someone I know in the West Midlands had a small stock of the plugs to fit the 322 last year at £35 each but has now sold out so I expect it will be necessary to figure out the right part number to order from Farnell - getting the body and pin size right is the easy bit, the keying is a whole other matter !

The connectors I have unfortunately have manufacturer's markings rather than NSNs but the info for what it's worth is:

The free plug (PSU end) is marked TEE 05 270 13 50 PB 9501 and (taking the wide key as 12 o'clock) has narrow keys at 3, 4, 7 and 9 o'clock looking into the cable.

The free socket (Amplifier end) is marked ?755 18 50 SC 1701 8525 and (taking the wide key as 12o'clock) has narrow keys at 4,5, 7 and 9 O'Clock. "?" represents characters too scuffed to read.

Both have "Thorn" embossed in the rubber insert that surrounds the pins or sockets.

Both connectors are 30mm diameter outside the locking ring, 24mm outside the fixed part of the body, and the pins or sockets are on 10mm spacing.

I have the opposite problem at the moment - a 50A PSU with no connector to fit the output socket !

The obvious (if not quite proper) solution would appear to be to replace the connectors on the PSU and 322 amp with a gland and short cable terminated in a normal civillian DC power connector like the Anderson SB 50 amp which costs about £6 a pair and has a lot more metal in it than the pins on the 322 power plug. That cable seemed to cause a problem either for the amp or PSU with RF getting in the power lead though - I originally fitted a twin red & black power lead to my 322 power plug and found that the amp or PSU tripped out when keyed CW at full power - fitting a shielded twin power lead as in the original 50A PSU to 322 installation cured that instantly. So I think any replacement also has to be a shielded connector.

Hope this helps

Iain

73 de G0OZS

PS if anyone is interested I have one working and one dead (trips RCD) Clansman 50A PSU left over from my last trip to Withams for sale with power leads but of course no output leads - please PM if interested.

Iain

Very many thanks for comprehensive info.

73's

Les