what are saracens like for towing stuff

haybaggerman

Question

We are trapped here in the back roads of Devon, the council won't grit the road as we don't "meet their criteria". However, several jobs might well depend on some artics getting in and out of here before xmas.

We managed to get an artic out yesterday, it took in the end one pajero pulling a landrover defender pulling a zetor tractor pulling the artic with about 10 tons on board being pushed by a new holland tractor. About 2 hours to get 2 miles to the main road.

Makes me wish I'd bought a 432 instead of the saracen. However, thought I'd check on what the pulling capacity of the saracen is. Anyone got any experience? The roads are like glaciers here, a good two inchs of compacted ice all the way, any slope and the lorries slide into the ditch.

Cheers

Paul

T

I recently heard that farmers who wanted to sub-contract to County Councils to snow plough, had to have a massive liability insurance, use white diesel and other stipulations before they could get a contract. Perhaps it is the authorites who should sort themselves out firstly.

From what I have read in the farming press restrictions have been lifted on the use of red diesel as long as the work is being carried out for a council but if you clear roads for milk tankers etc. to access farms without council authority then restrictions on rebated fuel usage still apply. I can understand the insurance liability problem, a lot of damage can occur.

Edited by Degsy

Yep and how the hell is HMRC fuel dipping van and officer going to get where farmer is digging out to dip deisel and why would they be bothered. same as councils demanding this and that public liability insurance yes if your contracted to them they demand it. if you have a road legal tractor with insurance you have public liability covered and you want to help clear a road nobody is going to pull you over and lock you up. I cannot think of a case where anybody has faced prosecution for helping clear a road for using red desiel or damaging a road surface as a favour to the public only when working for commercial gain.

Next time we will be ready with a spinner on the back of the tractor and a ton or two of salt and grit, however, it probably won't get this way for another 20 years or so. This time round the ice was already compacted and 2 inchs thick before we realised it was here to stay big time.

Still, more snow on monday apparently........

whatever you do dont think a 432 will be any good in the snow, they are only good for drifts and uncontrolled spins in anything other than fresh snow, on ice they are worse than a car on slicks...they get no traction at all...on my roadway i have had my 432 on the flat spinning its tracks going no where....i had to drive incredibly slowly and she just about managed to move...

same as in heavy mud...goes nowhere...

As Schliesser 92 says, the Radar Troop Saracens used to tow Green Archer and Silent gennys,all the way from Detmold to Hohne, over 100 miles, with only a stop at the Blau Zee, and no sign of wind-up. I know as I was the troop fitter!

As to sliding with tracks on snow, I once received a large rollicking for sliding sideways, but in a straight line, across the red airfield lights in Detmold in a Centurion. It was probably the only time the brakes worked!

However in 1963, (or 64) we were requested by the Germans to help out with the snowbound traffic using half -tracks, and they performed admirably.

That is a good idea, but........last year councils were warning people not to clear roads and paths in front of their properties because they would be liable for any injuries or accidents. We always used to do this outside home.

That was last year! New government now - for all their faults they are trying to reintroduce common sense on some things.

BBC News: snow code details

how hard would it be to have this law instated in Britain, at least it would help the less abled to get around easier.

If I had to smash my spine up further clearing my drive I'd not be getting around anywhere! We don't need extra laws to encourage this stuff (you can already be held liable), changing the don't-care attitude is harder than slapping some extra lines in the statute book.

Stone

I think the whole story was reported in a typically alarmist way last year, but its good to hear the government are taking that approach.

The issue with public roads is more about what insurance companies will do to recover costs, any excuse to make claims and counter claims. My wife "met" another car on a 90 degree bend on a single lane backroad in the ice of january 2010. Our insurance company decided on knock for knock, but we still get threatening solicitors letters based on standard templates, most of which isn't relevant (e.g. your car crossed into the opposite lane umm there is only one lane etc etc ), and we have also had a visit from a representative of a government department for having no tax on the car whereas it was taxed and completely legal.

These insurance firms claim for every letter they write and every action they take and I wouldn't put anything past them.

Right, rant over

I was suprised the Defender had a few issues as well. Attempting the way home,just after the worst of the snow hit Sussex and turned to Ice in the Uckfield area. I left work at 6pm and got through the door at 9pm! to drive from Brighton to Uckfield,it's amazing to watch the foolhardy in their cars attempt the most stupid of tasks when warned to only make essential trips.

It took ages to get from the A27 to Isfield,passing no less than 5 accidents. I was not aware how bad the ice was until I had to divert through Isfield village due to road closure from an accident.

Low&slow. Skills&drills. The Defender was quite happy plodding along in 2nd and 3rd low box,seems the fool behind tailgating me was not so impressed. If I was to draw my speed to a close I know my bumperettes would make a lovely pattern on his new VW golf,never mind what my Nato hitch would do!

Approaching a junction at shortbridge,Uckfield. I knew there was a slope at which you have to give way and merge at the bottom. I let the engine slow me down and planned to just roll up to the junction incase I had to stop,thus reducing the skidding threat.

It was then I was shocked,the Landi just broke traction and slowly (5mph) pointed me towards the woods,its the slowest spin I have ever been in,while approaching the woods I though to myself, 'well this is not right?'

At no point had I even touched the brakes,while preparing for woodland entry I resorted to stamping the footbrake on&off. This had the effect of bringing me to a full 180degree close.

Never before on a public road have I spun a vehicle, let alone a 110 Defender! The road there was a solid sheet of ice. Even today in High hurstwood I encountered a similar situation losing traction.

Proof even a well equipped 4X4 with Goodyear G90's can come unstuck! Take Care out there!

Paul