Stalwart nearly ready

paulob1

no I have the other two here, will be fitted once she gets back...looks interesting with the two tyres, the ural tyres seem to be slightly less wide...taller but less wide...will experiment with pressures...once she is out on the tracks..

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, swim gear off, wanted to reduce the weight as much as possible dowtys are heavy...and all the associated shafts bevel boxes and other bits...all off...saving over half a ton, plus loads of other bits, plus a tank only 20 gallons etc etc...winch may go next...contemplating options...would like to get her down to 6 tons, not sure if its possible, we will see...

You just using her for off road fun then?

There are lots of parts on them that are heavy, i couldnt believe the weight of the load bay floor supporting frames when i took them off to work on the engine.

Obviously they were designed to carry 5 tonnes, but im thinking of making new ones from ally, as im not going to carry much, probably just some crazy passengers! :cool2:

Cheers

Shaun

Paul,

Have you seen the latest (march) issue of CMV, on page 32, about mil vehicles in divvy use, the modified explored at top of page, it has the same pattern tyres as you have ( which I think are probably the best looking tread) but they are a bigger size, I think they would look good on a stilly!

Where do you think it would be possible to get those "Russian" style tyres from?

Cheers

Shaun

no, swim gear off, wanted to reduce the weight as much as possible dowtys are heavy...and all the associated shafts bevel boxes and other bits...all off...saving over half a ton, plus loads of other bits, plus a tank only 20 gallons etc etc...winch may go next...contemplating options...would like to get her down to 6 tons, not sure if its possible, we will see...

Be very careful, if you are gonna reduce it's weight.... they weren't designed to run very far on tarmac etc when completely empty, as the increased angle of the Tracta joints will in turn increase the risk of damage/premature wear on the hub/bevel boxes, etc. You can get round it by adjusting the suspension so that it's ride height makes it ride as if partly weighed down.... this is why Saracens/Saladins behaved themselves better than Stolly's, when used on roads more. Their greater weight kept the tracta-joints/shafts in more of a straight line, i.e. horizontal:nono::readbook:

hi Oilly, yes mine have been lowered on stolly 1, which is used a lot on the road, stolly 2 I will see how she goes off road...she will drive all the time off road and whilst she has registration I doubt she will go on the road again...I can get loads of the russian tyres how many do you want is the question...all for around 120 -130 pounds each virtually brand new...I collect them tomorrow so will have pictures and more info once i have them here and am able to play with them...they will be off roading this weekend..

it will be used for sure but not one of the ones i need right now...and i plan to put a bigger one on the stolly, one that will give me front and back recovery options, but with the reduced weight, it may be more useful than I think, and with a number of pulley wheels I may be able to rig a reversable system for the standard winch...we will see once i have had a play...

right here we go its just about 4 oclock, I am just about to set off with the leyland Daf and tweeks 14.3 ton tilting bed trailer...will be collecting a stolly to take to Sammys then travelling up with her on the trailer, and an empty tuck, then returning with my two stalwarts, hope to make the 6 or 7 hour journey in good time and be back here by around 4....hope all goes well..

it will be used for sure but not one of the ones i need right now...and i plan to put a bigger one on the stolly, one that will give me front and back recovery options, but with the reduced weight, it may be more useful than I think, and with a number of pulley wheels I may be able to rig a reversable system for the standard winch...we will see once i have had a play...

Given the location of the winch in a Stolly - how on earth do you plan on working a rear recover option whilst retaining swimming integrity???

You've got me all curious now!! :-)

stalwart collection...

loaded ready to be hitched together

IMG_0173.jpg

hitched up and ready to go...

IMG_0176.jpg

5-6mpg on the loaded way home, was about 38 tons, she didn't like the big hills but drove well enough..

uneventful return home but the electric cooling fans came on once up a very long steepish hill on full throttle and the temp started to rise a tad. sounded like Concorde was about to land..otherwise no problem...

Think the 14.3 ton trailer was loaded close to its limit, 3 ton trailer, 9.5 ton stolly, plus all its bits a tow bar and maybe 500 kg of other bits total 13-13.5tons, the daf with the other stolly was only loaded with around 9 tons...so total of about 36-38 tons give or take a ton or two...

ooh forgot to add 4.5m high with the extra high exhausts, so we posted 4.6m in the cab for safety, but basically we had .5 of a meter to spar under standard bridges and we did not have to negotiate low bridges until we got close to home and had a 5 mile detour to avoid a 4.2 m bridge...

excellent...

Edited by paulob1

you better believe it, drove stolly 1 home tonight lovely drive, the new engine and electro0nic ignition from jolly is running a treat, more power than i have ever had in a stalwart, cant wait to have paulwart sorted...her fuel pump failed and emptied the fuel tank into the engine, oops...Sammy sorting in a couple of weeks...so wont be off roading with her this weekend but will take the 623...

Looking good,

I also like the " paulwart" made me chuckle. :-D

I'm still pondering on a name for my gal!

I just bought the ignition kit from jolly, so will be fitting it in the next few weeks, hopefully.

Cheers

dont, send it back to jolly with your distributor and get them to fit it...its a pig to fit.

Edited by paulob1

• 5 months later...

Hi Im looking to replace the swim gear in my stolly, the usual parts are missing, do you still have the parts mate.

Your stolly looks well. Ross

had the minor pectoral muscle moved from my chest to my arm to connect it to my weakened bicep to make it work. hopefully this is the penultimate operation, 5 so far, to fix my arm as best it can be after the stupid lady who pulled in front of me when on my motorbike,nearly killed me.

I am lucky to be alive.....makes me even happier than normal...

bad news is I have had an allergic reaction to something,pos the anaesthetic or the dressing and am now covered, whole body, in a very very itchy rash......

Pity she didn't try that stunt when you were in one of the MV's, but then, you would have been the "culprit" and everybody would want to ban private ownership of our toys!