Japanese Thread

fesm_ndt

The trumpet thingys are listening devices to spot uncominf planes.

Audio radar.:D

I love the railway gun.

Thanks for your effort to scan and post these!

I should have known that given the big searchlight behind them :blush:

No worries, something for you guys to ponder over Christmas

Aren't those Austin armoured cars? Britaian and Japan were allies during the great war

They're not Daleks!!!

I am figuring from the other photos I have and the uniforms that it is during the Japanese actions in China. Zooming in on the spare tyre I can see the brand name is in English :confused: . The tube is in the tyre

The A/A gun in post#22 is a 75mm type 88 the standard IJA mobile unit.

The field pieces are 150mm howitzer Type 4 (the weapon with the shield) the other gun is a type 38 (an older type replaced by the Type 4) which is a close copy of a Krupp pre WW1 design.

The rail gun is a Schneider 240mm called a Type 90 by the Japanese whether they had more than a single sample is unknown to me but many interwar Japanese designs were French.

The tank is again a French design based on the NC1 with indigenous armament Japanese designation OTSU B

Steve

I think the tractor may be a Kato 70 (4ton tractor) and the gun may be a Type 91 105mm howitzer but the photo is not sharp enough to see the breach- so it a guess:nut:.

The car is unknown to me -many Japanese cars were US clones especially as it is probably a black sedan it may have just been acquired.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Again an interesting batch of pics

The Red cross aircraft is a Nakajima KI 6 -a copy of the famous Fokker Universal built in numerous countries, the Japanese used them in Mancu area as transports and even bombers- pics of the red cross marked Ki 6 is fairly well know to the extent that a resin kit comes with it in those marking. I wonder if this aircraft was a transport for surrender negotiations -the idea of Japanese wartime forces adherring to Red Cross Protocol- just doesn't sit well but then I'm the son of a former 14th Army soldier :-(

The trucks are probably Issui TX40 in the fore ground and TY10 background both types being the early 4x2 subsidy type the double rear wheels probably to improve performance.

The tank is an early Type 89 probably an A type. these tanks were heavily influenced by Vickers Type C. note the door on the front plate.

Steve

I wonder if this aircraft was a transport for surrender negotiations -the idea of Japanese wartime forces adherring to Red Cross Protocol- just doesn't sit well but then I'm the son of a former 14th Army soldier :-(

I had the same thought as you dont see the red cross very often in relation to the Japanese forces. In this picture you can see the cross and the roundel which I doubt would comply?? But in this case I think it is red cross as one of the album characters is a medic (If somone identifies the ambulance they will be doing well). Perhaps at this point there was still some attempt at compliance

[ATTACH]39852[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39851[/ATTACH]