Japanese Thread

fesm_ndt

May be requiring a Japanese thread in a few weeks as I just bought an army photograph collection from World War II.

Some different armour for Steveo and Eddy :D

Oh, what you buy, what you buy!

I went to Japan for a couple of months in 199 something. There were loads of photographs and albums for sale at their versions of car boots. I was off militaria then but wish i had invested heavily.

Oh, what you buy, what you buy!

I went to Japan for a couple of months in 199 something. There were loads of photographs and albums for sale at their versions of car boots. I was off militaria then but wish i had invested heavily.

yeah bought one of these albums, hopefully another 2 by end of week

picked it up because I spotted Japanese tanks in a piccy

Going to Japan in the new year may have to look for boot sales whilst I am there

If you go to Tokyo, go to Yasakuni Shrine, the main military museum. When i went, there were loads of veterans on a day out. They were watching a video of the war and started doing the Banzai with arms up in the air. It was quite intoxicating, and felt almost like joining in. Can see how it gets the blood boiling, as that was just in a museum.

I can't think of the name of the park where there were regular antique fairs, i'll ask my sister.

There is a chap i met at the Tank Museum who has his own Japanese Tank in his garden. He used to work for Shangai and Midland and got the eastern bug. He often travels to China at the moment and has been comissioned to secure a JS for the museum as it is a vehicle missing from the collection, as in they have not got one.

If you go to Tokyo, go to Yasakuni Shrine, the main military museum. When i went, there were loads of veterans on a day out. They were watching a video of the war and started doing the Banzai with arms up in the air. It was quite intoxicating, and felt almost like joining in. Can see how it gets the blood boiling, as that was just in a museum.

I can't think of the name of the park where there were regular antique fairs, i'll ask my sister.

yeah Jack said I have to look for MV stuff for him on my trips as I travel all over the place. He said he would send a bankdraft with extra cash and the rest if I could deposit back into Barry Williams account in Nigeria :D.

In Japan I will be on the bases but this park sounds good to me as want to get more MV photos as always good to test the HMVF guys MV identification skills

has been comissioned to secure a JS for the museum as it is a vehicle missing from the collection, as in they have not got one.

Ok what is a JS? You guys are going to blow my brain with new vehicles I never saw in Commando comics!!! We've had floating tanks that sunk, fire trucks built on armoured car chassis, Karrier (I was sure the guy spelt that wrong when I saw the first post), German rolling ball things; Lightweight etc etc.

Pzkpfw-e What version of the IS?

1, 2, 3 or 4?

If they are looking for a Chinese IS tank then it would be a IS2 original configuration -as in not an IS2M -the one with integral revised stowage like that in the IWM collection. The IS2 delievered to China were pre-the M mod. AFAIK no IS3 were delievered to China. The 200- 250+ IS4 were stationed on the Chinese border from the 1950s when Stalin considered sending a Shock Army to Korea and they remianed there throughout the 1960-70s eventualy dug in as were IS3s (IS3s were also dug in on Skalin and other coastal areas in the soviet far east. So unless the Chinese managed to capture one during the various border incidents in the 1960s 70s the only IS in China should be IS2s.

There is no such combat vehicle as an IS1 only IS2-3-4 and T10.

The Tank Museum missed out on IS3Ms -at least two were brought in for Eygpt by Budge, for ex Soviet stuff I would be spending my time trying to get a T10/ T10m and T64.

Steve

What version of the IS?

1, 2, 3 or 4?

If it's an IS2, Kubinka has a few on their open storage lot (See the current edition of MMI) and there's a trio sat in the open at the naval base at Shumsu, in the Kuril Islands.

Do you mean which one the TM want? That would probably be any as they don't have any version. They won't have a chance of any negotiations regarding getting by buying or swapping. Unless they get Duxford's. But other than a direct gift, they will go wanting.

Are the ones at Shumso near derelict nuclear submarines, check the rads man! There are a few pictured on an abandoned russian tank base. Dealing with the russians is either through govt., and the brown paper bags of cash, or mafia and taking your life in your own hands.

diver99

That would have meant 'buying' which is beynd their ken.

Quite:-) but then again moving one from the Soviet Far East wouldn't be cheap either:D. The one shown in your last photo seems to be a rolling pill box without any drive train- note the plate on the engine vents.

Rail gun as promised :D

[ATTACH]39013[/ATTACH]

Now I don't want to profess I have as much Knowledge as Steveo and Adrian about armoured vehicles, but I am fairly certain this is a Dalek :D

[ATTACH]39012[/ATTACH]

Edited by fesm_ndt