C42 / Ferret radio table set up

RecyMech

Afternoon Gents,

Just been having a discussion re C42 radios with the pattern maker (David Jane) who's working on the Ferret patterns for our 1/24th scale kit. We`ve hit a question that only the blokes in the know can answer.....:D:D

Would any kind sole here have a photograph or two in the collective album of the correct C42 set up in a Ferret Mk2/3 please ?

I've gathered some C42 pics from t'interweb but the one & only 'installed' picture we have is in the Pat Ware book page 69 (bottom left) which shows another table & other unclear kit on top of the sets. Could anyone clarify what should/should`nt be there please ?

Thanks fellas.

Howard.

this pic shows a fitted C42, the rectangle on the top of the set is a side view of a B47. The C42 was the main set used to talk to Sqn Command, and the B47 used as the inter troop means. However at times the C42 was removed and replaced with a C13 set, the C13 was the main set we used in Cyprus, very good as it could be tuned into "The Voice of Peace" a pirate radio station in a ship of the coast, however the C13 deteriated at night due to the atmospherics. Alien please confirm.

Hi Bazz,

Ah, so that's what it is, thanks. Being side on in the picture I did'nt click it was another set. Chieftains of my era had B47 fitted (which if I recall correctly the crews referred to as the 'battle-link set') Makes sense now !

B47 was something I never got involved with personally though. Being C13 & C42 trained only.

(See what I mean ?, you just can't ask the wrong question on here)

Any other input anyone ?

Cheers.......H:-D

this pic shows a fitted C42, the rectangle on the top of the set is a side view of a B47. The C42 was the main set used to talk to Sqn Command, and the B47 used as the inter troop means. However at times the C42 was removed and replaced with a C13 set, the C13 was the main set we used in Cyprus, very good as it could be tuned into "The Voice of Peace" a pirate radio station in a ship of the coast, however the C13 deteriated at night due to the atmospherics. Alien please confirm.

As a UKLF-based Recce Regt, we were C13 as our combat team command net when we were sent on our six-month UNFICYP trip. Crew Intercommunication (I/C) required the "A" set because the B47 B set did not have I/C function built in (with Larkspur, I/C was a radio set function, not a harness function). So half our Ferrets (section second vehicle) had a C13 "A" set to provide I/C while communicating over the B47 "B" set.

Since the C13 had to be powered up to provide I/C, it made sense to have it tuned into something useful rather than monitoring white noise. Voice of Peace was perfect.

As Troop Leader's driver I was blissfully unaware that half the troop had an in-car music centre until I injured a finger and found myself covering as commander of 24 Charlie when Frankie Smith customised his nose. It was a Saturday morning, we were patrolling the AUSCON area north of Larnaca, driving round a large quarry when the music took me back to Saturday mornings that preceded a trip to Roker Park (Sunderland had just been promoted) and I asked myself what I was doing here. My only bout of homesickness in 14 years. It quickly passed. Where were we?

HF relies on the Ionosphere to reflect a significant amount of signal back to earth. After the sun sets, the solar radiation stops ionising the air, the Ionosphere collapses and the signal strength with it. If you've ever listened to Radio 5 medium wave just after sunset you know what I mean.

Our Mark 1 Rebro Ferrets had a two times C42 set-up (one on top of the other) so that we had sufficient grunt for both sides of the rebroadcast.

• 1 year later...
Afternoon Gents,

Just been having a discussion re C42 radios with the pattern maker (David Jane) who's working on the Ferret patterns for our 1/24th scale kit. We`ve hit a question that only the blokes in the know can answer.....:D:D

Would any kind sole here have a photograph or two in the collective album of the correct C42 set up in a Ferret Mk2/3 please ?

I've gathered some C42 pics from t'interweb but the one & only 'installed' picture we have is in the Pat Ware book page 69 (bottom left) which shows another table & other unclear kit on top of the sets. Could anyone clarify what should/should`nt be there please ?

Thanks fellas.

Howard.

aqabaferret.JPG

The Regiment (10th Royal Hussars) had C42 & B47 in Aqaba 1956/7 and when we went to Aden 1964/5 we had C13 & B47 I actually spoke to another troop in the same Sqn. Over a 1000 miles away on 16 feet of rod loud and clear I was impressed with the C13. Being a ham I would love to get my hands on one now but they have become as elusive as the pimpernel, I know a person who was going to install a 19 Set in the 1/24 Ferret he is building until I enlightened him, we had a staff sergeant and a couple fitters replacing them when we arrived. Above one of our Ferrets (Aqaba).

Pete