Eastbourne tank

woa2

I was looking through a 2005 book about the Seaside, and found a picture of a Centurion Tank at the Redoubt in Eastbourne, East Sussex. The tank has 8th Hussars markings and is called 'Cameronian'. Anyone know if it is still there?

The book is 'The English Seaside' by Peter Williams, and contains some photos of pillboxes and other Militaria, as well as loads of just seaside views.

Meteor mark 4B

The 8th Hussars, Kings (or was it Queens then?) Royal Irish Hussars,

It was still "Kings", Kings Royal Irish Hussars served in Korea until December 1951 when they handed over to 5th RIDG

HRM King George VI died on 6th February 1952.

Edited by steveo578
spelling

It has been removed to be restored by a local MV enthusiast, in good hands.

Do you know if it's a full retoration, or simply cosmetic?

I used to live in Eastbourne & Know of this tank & the Museum well.

It was originaly driven under it's own power by the Regiment that donated it to the museum.

It stood for many years outside in the Seaside weather will all the associated sea air corrosion that contributed to it,s deterioration.

I am suprised (But pleased!) that it is undergoing restoration. Because this particular museum always had almost no funding to spend.

I myself did some work & donated some of the spares I had to restore some of the exhibits in the museum. Because I couldnt bear to see some of the items on disply looking shabby with bits missing & Hanging off!

There was also a Ferret MK2/3 inside the fort on the ramparts. That too was RAPIDLY deteriorating through sea salt spray corrosion. One wing was virtualy hanging off & just about every bin & hatch was seized & rotted out through the same problem. Shame though, because it still had it's smoke dischargers & the uncommon internal central mounted fire extinguisher system inside. I would imagine after 11 years later from knowing these vehicles that the poor old ferret would be in a very sorry state now! I commented at the time to the head curator who was in place then. about the fact that at that moment in time. The Ferret COULD have been prevented from getting worse with a bit of help & a small amount of parts. I was willing to do the work myself for free. He wasnt interested! Whate a waste! I believe there has been a change of curator since then? It;s such a shame when external exhibits suffer like this, but I do understand the finacial difficulties faced by Museums these days. However, I believe a lot more COULD be done to prevent major deterioration without incuring major expense by preventitive action inistially! :-(

I can think of quite a few Gate Guardians of the past. Apart from the one at Eastbourne, there was a Chieftain near Tewkesbury, a Chieftain and a Cent at Lulworth, a Cent and Two Conqs at Bovvy, a Chieftain at Telford, another at Bulford, an ARV at Bordon, a Cent and a Conq at Castlemartin to name a few. Where are they now I wonder? Forgot the Cent at Warminster!

Do you know if it's a full retoration, or simply cosmetic?

I used to live in Eastbourne & Know of this tank & the Museum well.

It was originaly driven under it's own power by the Regiment that donated it to the museum.

It stood for many years outside in the Seaside weather will all the associated sea air corrosion that contributed to it,s deterioration.

I am suprised (But pleased!) that it is undergoing restoration. Because this particular museum always had almost no funding to spend.

I myself did some work & donated some of the spares I had to restore some of the exhibits in the museum. Because I couldnt bear to see some of the items on disply looking shabby with bits missing & Hanging off!

There was also a Ferret MK2/3 inside the fort on the ramparts. That too was RAPIDLY deteriorating through sea salt spray corrosion. One wing was virtualy hanging off & just about every bin & hatch was seized & rotted out through the same problem. Shame though, because it still had it's smoke dischargers & the uncommon internal central mounted fire extinguisher system inside. I would imagine after 11 years later from knowing these vehicles that the poor old ferret would be in a very sorry state now! I commented at the time to the head curator who was in place then. about the fact that at that moment in time. The Ferret COULD have been prevented from getting worse with a bit of help & a small amount of parts. I was willing to do the work myself for free. He wasnt interested! Whate a waste! I believe there has been a change of curator since then? It;s such a shame when external exhibits suffer like this, but I do understand the finacial difficulties faced by Museums these days. However, I believe a lot more COULD be done to prevent major deterioration without incuring major expense by preventitive action inistially! :-(

Has anyone got a pic of the poor old ferret?

I met the current owner of the Eastbourne Centurion at the "Britain at War magazine" day at Bovington in April, he intends to restore it, but the turret has been stripped out and the engine will need quite a bit of work seeing that it has been sitting on the seafront for years. This Centurion is reputedly a veteran of the battle of the Imjin River, the current owner held a party to celebrate getting the Centurion and contacted the Glosters museum to invite some veterans to this party, incredibly 1 lived less than a mile from his yard and had seen the Cent pass his house on the transporter. I also know what he paid for this Centurion and I am VERY jealous

This Centurion is reputedly a veteran of the battle of the Imjin River, the current owner held a party to celebrate getting the Centurion and contacted the Glosters museum to invite some veterans to this party

Do you know if he will be restoring to the standard it was used at the battle of imjin, pleased to hear that he has been in contact with the glosters museum and veterans as a ex gloster this is an intrest to me severed in the 1 bn 77-83.

Al

Hello Big Al, He does intend to restore it as it would have been at Imjin, but wether he will get round to it I don't know as he is not in the first flush of youth.

John thats good news about restoring it to its days at Imjin I do hope he dos get around to making a start it woud be a intresting and rare part of history to see.

Al

• 6 months later...

Hi All.

My first post as a newbie so be kind;)

I was lucky enough to be the Troop Leader of Heavy Track Troop at Bovington Camp in Dorset back in the late 1980's

My remit was to provide, service and repair a mixture of Cheiftan and Challenger MBT's to the D&M school and other users.

In around 1989 my Squadron Leader must have decided that I was having much too an easy life and tasked me to renovate this rusting and shot up Centurian Mbt that had been dragged of the firing ranges.

To cut a long story short the job was done and we moved it up to the Redoubt at Eastbourne as part of my Regiments Museum.

A couple of points that I would like to mention is that unfortunately we werent allowed to rebuild or replace the engine so the old girl was lifted and transported by low loader to Eastbourne and then pushed in to position.

We refurbished her to replicate an MBT in use during the Korean war, but in fact was a much later version, The 105 gun was "altered" by removing the fume extractor and filling in the holes, we then had a mock muzzle brake made up and fitted to the end of the barrel.

I have some before and after photo's some where, I will post if I can find them.

Although this was initially an unwelcome extra job we came to like the old girl and were sad to see her go.

I am pleased that she is still out there somewhere being restored again, does anybody know if she will return to the museum?

Congrats on a great site.

Hi All.

My first post as a newbie so be kind;)

I was lucky enough to be the Troop Leader of Heavy Track Troop at Bovington Camp in Dorset back in the late 1980's

My remit was to provide, service and repair a mixture of Cheiftan and Challenger MBT's to the D&M school and other users.

In around 1989 my Squadron Leader must have decided that I was having much too an easy life and tasked me to renovate this rusting and shot up Centurian Mbt that had been dragged of the firing ranges.

To cut a long story short the job was done and we moved it up to the Redoubt at Eastbourne as part of my Regiments Museum.

A couple of points that I would like to mention is that unfortunately we werent allowed to rebuild or replace the engine so the old girl was lifted and transported by low loader to Eastbourne and then pushed in to position.

We refurbished her to replicate an MBT in use during the Korean war, but in fact was a much later version, The 105 gun was "altered" by removing the fume extractor and filling in the holes, we then had a mock muzzle brake made up and fitted to the end of the barrel.

I have some before and after photo's some where, I will post if I can find them.

Although this was initially an unwelcome extra job we came to like the old girl and were sad to see her go.

I am pleased that she is still out there somewhere being restored again, does anybody know if she will return to the museum?

Congrats on a great site.

Somewhere in the post someone mentions that it was bought from the museum the Ferret was supposed to be going as well.