Cheap Workshop - Steel Buildings

Sidewinder

Wayne - I purchased a 12mm tanalised 8'-4" sheet of ply to mull over for roofing £18 , . Not as firm (but a lot lighter to get on the roof) , a 18mm sheet is £24 - so a lot firmer when nailed to the purlins (and a lot more wood per £ - so will stick to 18mm I think).

I want to get a roof on before snow , well it is sleeting just now actually !!

I don't like rag based felt , flat roofs I use Italian Gedacom polyester stuff but too good for a shed. The last shed I did I used a polyester reinforced shed felt from Wickes but only 8m on a roll and I can't find similar at a better rate ??

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Super-Shed-Felt/invt/164067

Later - I intend to overoof with this type of stuff, preferably a small red tile effect (like Rosemary) in the main because I will be able to see some of it from the house and I would rather be looking at a cricket pavillion than a barracks !

http://www.britmet.co.uk/

Have you come across any of this stuff are a realistic shed type price ??

You are thinking polymer felt first then an overtile metal profile cladding that is cheeper than actual Pan tiles?

You almost want a robust temporary and then final aesthetic solution.

A more robust felt to shed felt is a reinforced version that is reasonably cost sensitive http://www.wickes.co.uk/Reinforced-Slaters-Felt/invt/240007

If you are thinking a permanent finish as this http://www.cladco.co.uk/tile-profile-sheeting.htm then there are many manufacturers out there with this and a local search up your neck of the woods would turn up better quotes. Ideally you could do with a company with a scrapped order that they would sell on at a discount to recover materials costs quickly.

The tile effect cladding sheets are more expensive than standard profiles as they are more elaborate. The other though may look to industrial if viewed from your property.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make friends with a cladding contractor or D&B shed builder. Although a bit thin on the ground at the moment. Have seen large amounts of cladding being dumped because somebody has bent a bit with a piece of plant. When it comes to snagging most clients seem to reject dented buildings.

Mike

I always reject dented buildings! If it was your money would you accept it is my philosophy! ;)

Sidewinder -

Given your location, I'd recommend you get in touch with Gordon Vigrass at Bussens & Vigrass at Downham Market for great corrugated / profile sheeting prices, s/h portal / tubular frames, fasteners, erecting etc etc. They also have access to top quality 'second' sheeting rolls, if that makes any sense!!

You could also consider a Romney shed - either 24ft or 36ft x whatever length you need. They are easy to double skin and insulate by putting good sheeting over older s/h sheets or a cheap new liner sheet, with or without insulation between.

I always reject dented buildings! If it was your money would you accept it is my philosophy! ;)

Totally agree there.

But if you need cheap profiled cladding, in relatively small amounts, it is a possible source.

I have been known to reject drainage pipes buried in the ground. The client also gets upset when his toilets don't flush properly.

Had a friend who built a whole extension from unwanted materials salvaged from building sites before they were skipped just prior to completion.

Clients seem to like nice tidy sites at handover as well.

Mike

Yes - will have to look around and get a few spec. sheets. I need to decide to get a pitch module to determine my roofline actual length (vary the gables a few inch). I don't mind paying a premium to get a good looking roof and never designed for a loading of clay tiles that would be best, the idea was to get a box up quick & then glam it ...

Yes - will have to look around and get a few spec. sheets. I need to decide to get a pitch module to determine my roofline actual length (vary the gables a few inch). I don't mind paying a premium to get a good looking roof and never designed for a loading of clay tiles that would be best, the idea was to get a box up quick & then glam it ...

Bearing in mind one of your earlier comments have you allowed for snow loading.

There are also a couple of other options that could be considered as a solution to the original point.

Temporary buildings.

http://www.aganto.co.uk/temporary-structures.htm

http://www.smart-space.co.uk/building-solutions/motor-repair-workshop.html

Doubt they are that cheap and you probably need a concrete slab and planning permission, although this may proove esier than for a permanent building.

The other option is much more appropriate to the forum and is definitely not permanent.

This has it's own problems.

Finding one and paying for it. Last time I saw one was around 1982 at RAF Halton.

As the resident tent expert Jack may be able to help.

http://www.fiddlersgreen.net/models/aircraft/Tent-Hanger-WWI.html

OK the website is for a paper model but it has pictures of the real thing.

Mike

One catch. What state is the building in? Any asbestos sheeting, and who pays for dismantaling and transport? You may find it works out cheaper to buy new. As far as insulation goes, lurk around your local bus garage. When the guys come to change the adverts on the side of the bus, beg some of the old plastic sheets, light easy to cut and great insulation. My shed is done out with them. Also ideal for Land Rover tin roofs.

Edited by Tony B

One catch. What state is the building in? Any asbestos sheeting, and who pays for dismantaling and transport? You may find it works out cheaper to buy new. ....

Very good point to bear in mind - but so far James is just looking at an empty yard, according to post no.1 :-D

Gathered he'd got a link to a building as well. There may be a perfectly legitamite trick. That is to build a mobile feild shelter. Add a good solid caster to each corner, and a tow hitch. Mobile shelters don't need planning. Also quite useful. If the tractor breacks down in the feild, you move the garage to the work.:-D

Plenty of food for thought, thanks for all the replies so far.

Security (or lack of) is definitely something I had I thought (and worried about). All the neighbours and the local farmer are usually pretty switched on to any strange goings on. However, I imagine those steel buildings are pretty vunerable to any pikey with a petrol Stihl saw.

I could build a breeze block wall inside the building, but the doors would still be vulnerable so why bother, as I imagine they'd be the first point of attack anyway.

I suppose apart from those 12guage blank alarm mines and relying on the neighbours there's not a lot that can be done.

Given your location, I'd recommend you get in touch with Gordon Vigrass at Bussens & Vigrass at Downham Market for great corrugated / profile sheeting prices, s/h portal / tubular frames, fasteners, erecting etc etc. They also have access to top quality 'second' sheeting rolls, if that makes any sense!!

You could also consider a Romney shed - either 24ft or 36ft x whatever length you need. They are easy to double skin and insulate by putting good sheeting over older s/h sheets or a cheap new liner sheet, with or without insulation between.

Thanks N.O.S, will go and do some research!

Cheers, James

:rotfl::rotfl::banghead::banghead::banghead: Have you watched the Wizard of Oz??? ;);););)

Wait till an engineer gets involved :nono::thumbsup: You will see what a foundation is then....At least we invented 'Sky Hooks'

===========================

These sections are so heavy - I could do with one of those architectural "sky-hooks" for a chain block - I think the 3-leg scaffold pole tripod may be used.... at least for the first corner pair !!

Security (or lack of) is definitely something I had I thought (and worried about). All the neighbours and the local farmer are usually pretty switched on to any strange goings on. However, I imagine those steel buildings are pretty vunerable to any pikey with a petrol Stihl saw.

Give them 5 minutes and they will quite happily nick your steel shed for scrap.:D

Mike

more positive note> Alarm equipment is becoming more sophisticated. Try talking to local crime preventuion officer or lok around the agricultural supplier sites. There is kit at reasonable prices now that work on mobile phones. When you consider most of us have tool boxes that would cost easily in the thousands to replace, well worth it.

Even if its only used for private storage/workshop? Surely as long as its not used for commercial gain I don't see how they can charge business rates... you're bound to the type of use granted by planning permission, otherwise they tell you to pull it down which I'd have thought would be incentive enough to only use it for what you've got permission for.

James

A chap well known in Scammell circles, who has a quite a few Scammells in a field, was told he was running a business without planning and had to clear them as change of use was never going to happen.

A neighbour who was caught running an ilegal business had reported him out of spite.

He explained that it was just his hobby, and after protracted but non-confrontational negotiation, he obtained a temporary change of use for his lifetime, after which it revertes to agricultural.

Where there's a will there's a way.........

Just had a thought, admittedly its not ideal, but it'd be cheap and as far as I can figure wouldn't need planning permission, although I'm prepared to eat humble pie if I'm wrong. Possibly just change of use on the land, depending on what it is at the moment.

Two 20ft shipping containers side by side but about 4/6metres apart. Bolt some lengths of timber to the tops of the containers to span the gap then sheet out with corrugated roofing material. Block off one end in the same fashion, and hey presto.

Ok, its not completely weather tight, but it'd be cheap, easily moved, you've still got secure storage in the two containers, and it'd help keep some of the wind and rain off.

Or have I finally officially gone mad? :D

James

I know of a farmer who was losing stuff from his shed so he rigged a shotgun to fire when the door was opened. He arrived one morning to find an attemped break in and a hole blown in the side of the shed, but had no further trouble after that. I'm not sure of the legalities of this procedure though........

What about these buildings for keeping in the military theme - I was pricing them for my own project and they were a pretty cheap option from about 3K and you extend length at multiple of a section -send for their PDF price list they are pretty good. Even come in green etc

http://www.gtevans.co.uk/nissen.htm

Thanks for making this info available gazzaw. This is just the kind of thing I've been looking for.