BSA Airborne bicycle in original condition

Nick Johns

By a chance conversation was very fortunate to aquire this BSA airborne folding bicycle recently, on close inspection it would appear to be in virtually unused condition, unissued? it has original paint, transfers inc WD crows foot arrow all intact, perfect BSA saddle with tool bag which contains original spanners still wrapped in grease proof paper! all moving parts are covered in preservative grease, no wear on the pedals and brake blocks that have not even worn the paint on the rims, plus original WD marked war grade tyres that are pliable and as new, quite a find and far too original to ride, I've carefully dusted it off but leaving all the grease intact..just needs the pump if anyone has one?

dodge van 001.jpg

dodge van 008.jpg

dodge van 006.jpg

dodge van 010.jpg

dodge van 007.jpg

dodge van 002.jpg

Edited by Nick Johns

Hi Nick

it certainly looks as though it had just come out of storage/unissued, interesting to see the push through pedals in black finish, as are many of the parts, where you can see black just visable beneath the green.

I've not seen before the springs clips that are on the seat tube stem, looks as though they might have helped support the tyre pump maybe ? any chance of a close up photo of them ?

What's the frame number ?

Best Regards

Gary

I've not seen before the springs clips that are on the seat tube stem, looks as though they might have helped support the tyre pump maybe ? any chance of a close up photo of them ?

Best Regards

Gary

Pic of the pump clip, no markings on it, plus another pic of front of bike showing the patent no. transfer and WD crows foot arrow, preservative grease on the brake

dodge van 011.jpg

dodge van 003.jpg

Edited by Nick Johns

nick , you any pics of the pump mate , im sure my dad had a few from years ago when we had our bike ..... will ask him when i see him next

if youve got a few I would be interested in buying 1 or 2 for my parabikes as well,very nice find Nick how did you come by it?

I heard a story of a Glider that force landed in the Reading area during WW2. It was loaded with Parabikes, and before the Army could recover the Glider, all the Parabikes disappeared. The story was told to me by a man who was a child at the time, and No, he didn't get one of the bikes.

Nice find...don't like you anymore..:angry

You don't need the brackets, there as some pointy thingy near the junction of saddlepin and frametubes where you can click into.

Bugger, can't think of the correct Brit. terminology and my bike isn't here.

• 3 years later...

Hi Nick

Picked up this old thread - im restoring one myself as the paintwork was a shambled i amd sandblasting it down to bare metal and matching the original paint from under the handlebars.

I need to put new transfers on but i have found two sets available one with rifles and serial in gold with a black arrow and another with white rifles serial and arrows.

From the picture you posted it looks as if yours are gold coloured is that so?

I would really appreciate closeups of the front and saddle stem so that i can get the positioning spot on.

I am blogging the project on facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/468506049915715/ feel free to jump on and comment

appreciate your help here

regards

Nick