Humber PIG FV1611(A)_What is this?

Rover8FFR

Wayne.

Don't pin your hopes on that definitely being your Pig in Minder. It may have been one of the other two. One of Dale's was used in Harry's Game. I have the tape somewhere.

Fuel gauge system is a Desyn system & is identical that used on aircraft. Where the pointer stops is largely random.

The compressor lever engages a drive dog from the gearbox. I really need to get you fixed up with the literature ie User Handbook & the EMERs esp WHEELED VEHICLES N 252 Technical Description which explains it all.

Wayne.

Don't pin your hopes on that definitely being your Pig in Minder. It may have been one of the other two. One of Dale's was used in Harry's Game. I have the tape somewhere.

Fuel gauge system is a Desyn system & is identical that used on aircraft. Where the pointer stops is largely random.

The compressor lever engages a drive dog from the gearbox. I really need to get you fixed up with the literature ie User Handbook & the EMERs esp WHEELED VEHICLES N 252 Technical Description which explains it all.

That would make sense.....The vehicle comes to a stand still and runs out of fuel showing 1/8th of a tank????;)...Joking aside I am sure it is different when fuelled up and batteries connected.

I thought it was Minder...Didn't know about Harry's game???? If you find the tape we may be able to peruse on 26th???

We are going to be busy on 26th....Too much to learn.....exciting though :-D:-D:-D...:readbook::readbook:

The convoy light matter this morning makes me think it is now increasingly likely that it hasn't been registered with DVLA? But if it was used in a programme (IF) it can't have been on a public highway can it..Only private property. :???:???

Just spotted that you did mention Harry's Game in the previous thread http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?19484-Assistance-with-Humber-Pig-Origins/page3 item #28.....I am getting older or just blonder!

Edited by Rover8FFR
correction

That would make sense.....The vehicle comes to a stand still and runs out of fuel showing 1/8th of a tank????;)...Joking aside I am sure it is different when fuelled up and batteries connected.

Arbitrary really where it ends up. I expect if you give it a good knock it might come to rest somewhere else.

The convoy light matter this morning makes me think it is now increasingly likely that it hasn't been registered with DVLA?

Wayne, not sure why would you think that?

Wayne. Batteries as large as you can afford & that fit in the boxes. Extra capacity is worth having. Battery technology was improved a lot since the 1950s. I would strongly advise an isolating switch in the battery earth feed. The reasons being:

A slight measure of security against unauthorised start up.

Eliminates flat batteries from leaving some equipment accidentally left on or a fault.

Emergency cut out in the event of accident or a fault on equipment. Very depressing to see a loom burst into smoke.

Quote;- Emergency cut out in the event of accident or a fault on equipment. Very depressing to see a loom burst into smoke.

I'm very much with Clive on that suggestion, damn good idea,....I did the very same thing on my Champ many years ago. But don't do what I did & put it under the seat with the batteries ....when the loom bursts into flames while doing 40mph, under the seat makes it tricky to get at....especially with a passenger sitting on it.

My loom went up like a demolition fuse.....flame appeared through the bulkhead inside the right pigeon hole, burnt along the loom & disappeared behind the dash....took about 3 seconds & everything died.

H

Yes nasty. I should have added to locate the switch within easy reach of the driver. Note rather useful battery connector that allows the original termination to bolt onto. The vent holes are ideal for mounting this Hella switch. You can see a previous owner had placed the switch further forwards. I chose this place as not only was it more hidden but it fitted in best with the -ve lead & the -ve battery terminal.

DSCF5417.jpg

DSCF5413.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Clive we had talked about the turn signal switch in the past which we now need to add to the list, as you said you had one for me :D

I attach a better photo of said switch and would ask you if any other switches or knobs in that vicinity are incorrect / replaced / added. Thanks

IMAG0069.jpg

Wayne as you know the 3-way toggle switch is not original. It should be a 3-way rotary switch, I have a switch for you, an original knob will be a struggle but I may have something that will do. The hole is in the original position, but it was lowered in 1966 & the pointer knob inverted.

The top (red) warning light is original & is for the turnlight. On failure later Mk 2s had a different type.

The lower (blue) one is the main beam warning light. It was not originally fitted but seems to have crept into most Pigs in that position & of that type. I can find no date when this was added. But if it wasn't there for safety reasons I would fit one like that as the dip switch is the collar of the horn button & there is no easy way of determining if you are on main beam.

As for the white switch, not original could be anything eg outboard dip switch, interior light, fog light etc

As for the white switch, not original could be anything eg outboard dip switch, interior light, fog light etc

Powered up and connected batteries would help suss this out. I know no rear fogs are fitted though!

Is it possible its for the interior rear lights?? Also attach clear photo for that elusive ignition key :(

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

Edited by Rover8FFR
Typo

Powered up and connected batteries would help suss this out.

Wayne I don't think that would be a good way to proceed. It would better to take the cover off & trace it through. Amateur wiring could have been to anything & if the anything is no longer there you may have a dangling live wire.

Both of the Interior Light TL6 have their own built in switch & dimmer. They are notorious for battery drainage by being left on when on the lowest illumination. They are supplied from the junction block behind the passenger's head on the vertical above the machete holder.

It could be that the white switch was hacked into this circuit or it went to a cab light or some ancillary that is no longer there.

The key no. you want is '15'. FV16 is the general pattern of key.

Wayne I don't think that would be a good way to proceed. It would better to take the cover off & trace it through.

Good point! Well presented! I will do that.

Thanks for pointer on the internal lights as I am sure that has caught out many a PIG owner in the past.......Why is my battery flat?????

The correct paint for the interior is Paint, brushing, aluminium H1/8010-99-943-4732 It has flame resisting properties above that of regular paints & also is stated to give protection against corrosion.

Being used without a primer it seems to allow rust to creep in, although this can be reduced if the recommended two coats are applied. This will no doubt be challenged, but to me silver paints like Hammerite etc never look convincing close up. Provided you are careful to keep oils & brake fluid away it doesn't rub off too easily.

I tend to feel if you can get the proper stuff, then use it. I may be able to help you with that.

For tactical reasons all outward opening flaps & doors should be painted the same colour as the vehicle exterior.

Mine is an anachronism in that the interior is white including all the doors & flaps. But in its police role, I have written & photographic evidence to show that it is correct. Although I am frequently told that the Army would not have painted the interior that way. This is of course perfectly true.

Great stuff. The rifle portholes are indeed the exterior DBG finish and I am sumising that the rust stains are where water has seeped in from a badly sealed windscreen section and this has stained the paint. A simple rub off with a proprietary polish should identify if surface staining or other.

IMAG0082.jpg

IMAG0083.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg