Humber PIG FV1611(A)_What is this?

Rover8FFR

Chaps

What I first thought was a 12N civi towing socket fitted to the rear valance of my PIG appears to be something else that I can't quite work out! It appears to be made of a Bakerlite type material.

Any ideas anybody please. It is positioned next to the Warner towing socket cover retainer plate.

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

Wayne the thingy on the left is where you screw the protective cover for the Warner trailer socket when you have a trailer plugged in.

The thingy on the right is a convoy light.

The red thingy is your fuel tank change over tap.

Is this old sand coloured paint or something else?? Etching Primer??

Old sand. The Pig would have been painted according to the 1948 FVDD FV Specification 2012.

Red oxide primer

Dark Admiralty Grey undercoat

High Gloss DBG finish coat

Things like zinc chromate etc were for non ferrous metals.

Wayne the thingy on the left is where you screw the protective cover for the Warner trailer socket when you have a trailer plugged in.

The thingy on the right is a convoy light.

The red thingy is your fuel tank change over tap.

Convoy Light????? It is a solid black hard item that doesn't appear to be a light of any sort...Not doubting the Mecca of all things Humber, but do you have another image to show me? Thanks for the confirmation on other items though! :-)

Old sand. The Pig would have been painted according to the 1948 FVDD FV Specification 2012.

Red oxide primer

Dark Admiralty Grey undercoat

High Gloss DBG finish coat

Things like zinc chromate etc were for non ferrous metals.

I didn't think etching primer was correct but it isn't grey and definately look beige????

Gosh Wayne it must be a quiet day at work I can't keep up with you!

The light is Convoy light No.2 Mk 4 it has a robust metal case. The light comes from a small ruby lens which is uppermost on the rim. The broad ridge is to facilitate unscrewing it to get at the bulb. Very often the location of the light is highlighted by white & black broad strips painted on the adjacent bodywork.

You have to bear in mind this vehicle was, I believe, used in film work. The paint job flaking off may be an indication of post service patching. Out of curiosity try gouging paint layers of where it is thickest & see the various layers that should be there. The marks on the side doors I'm pretty sure a film work additions. As for the rear markings they may be touched up versions of what was there or they be copied from another Pig with those markings. The Union Flag is painted on or touched up, but that is exactly where it was on my BAOR Pig.

! It has a round red plastic lense on the top and a rectangular clear lense on the underside ! It comes off if you undo the large nut on the back ! :-D It would shine on a white square painted under it , if mine was anything to go by mate !

Yes that's a better description. I forgot about the proper bit underneath. Maybe because mine is all gunged up with paint (deliberately)

Dscf5411.jpg

That would mean me coming to live with you though mate as I'm afraid I am no longer the boss in my house ! :blush:

Sounds like a proposal:blush: Anyway I'm far too old for you. I'm afraid here horse here dominates over pig. Ah that doesn't sound right. You've been here & know what I mean.

Hey you two stop hijacking my thread with domestic bromance. :cool2::red::red::red::kissoncheek:

I noticed the convoy light seemed to spin around when I investigated, so may be loose, but thanks for the image Clive as it now all appears clear albeit mine appears to be all painted out also!!!! In my image I see remnance of white paint near it. Is that what you referred too!

Regarding the champs the lucky buyer may well get the pair, so brilliant for spares etc.....I had a look last night when I popped into see Alison and Ashley...Also poked my nose in on my other Rover 8 FFR that is in the convoy of removals.........

I can't extend my collection any more either for now as the wife is having another horse!!!! Clive we indeed have too much in common!

Yes that's a better description. I forgot about the proper bit underneath. Maybe because mine is all gunged up with paint (deliberately)

Dscf5411.jpg

I notice that the warner socket is on the face of your rear valance. Mine appears to be tucked underneath...Which is correct I guess FV1609?

Gosh Wayne it must be a quiet day at work I can't keep up with you!

The light is Convoy light No.2 Mk 4 it has a robust metal case. The light comes from a small ruby lens which is uppermost on the rim. The broad ridge is to facilitate unscrewing it to get at the bulb. Very often the location of the light is highlighted by white & black broad strips painted on the adjacent bodywork.

You have to bear in mind this vehicle was, I believe, used in film work. The paint job flaking off may be an indication of post service patching. Out of curiosity try gouging paint layers of where it is thickest & see the various layers that should be there. The marks on the side doors I'm pretty sure a film work additions. As for the rear markings they may be touched up versions of what was there or they be copied from another Pig with those markings. The Union Flag is painted on or touched up, but that is exactly where it was on my BAOR Pig.

After the hours I did yesterday I am abusing my position slightly! With regard to paint it is evident that the DBG is underneath! as you can see from the image the top coat, that appears a blue/ dark grey is flaking off and may well be the added paint if it did appear in the Minder programme....Still need to order that DVD to watch it! That would stack up with the shield logo and your earlier comments Clive.

IMAG0076.jpg

IMAG0077.jpg

IMAG0091.jpg

Edited by Rover8FFR
typo

Clive / Andy....Another Lever question please.

The white one under the Handbrake

Tyre pump. Do not attempt engaging it until you have taken it off, stripped it down & refurbished it. Having done that use it regularly, because they will seize up. I have destroyed 3 so far!

I notice that the warner socket is on the face of your rear valance. Mine appears to be tucked underneath...Which is correct I guess FV1609?

Yes you mean the Warner cover retainer rather than the socket. Yes FV1609 had it there then the production Pig it moved to where yours is.

Tyre pump. Do not attempt engaging it until you have taken it off, stripped it down & refurbished it. Having done that use it regularly, because they will seize up. I have destroyed 3 so far!

Ahhh this is the compressor of the gearbox thingy then?????? How does it work then? Can you give me a simple education on this please.

Yes you mean the Warner cover retainer rather than the socket. Yes FV1609 had it there then the production Pig it moved to where yours is.

Yes the cover retainer! Thanks for confirming.....I am about to order the DVD of Minder from Amazon. I recall it was called 'An offficer and a car salesman'?

I think I have asked this before, but as the PIG has no batteries fitted is the fuel gauge an electronic item or is it mechanical/ vacuum activated.

The image below suggests that the tank (s) have some fuel contained within them.

IMAG0066.jpg

Edited by Rover8FFR
typo