Barrel Change !

I finally managed to un-bury the 25 pdr last week and made enough space to get the barrel changed.The gun has been in the back of my workshop for about 10 years so it was nice to get it uncovered.

The barrel that was on the gun was in a very poor state as the pictures show and a colleague of mine was kind enough to get me a new one still in its packing crate, so i took the opportunity to replace it.

The existing barrel had a hole burnt through the jacket and barrel beneath the counter weight

so seperating the two was going to be tricky , I opted for a new Jacket also.

Biggest problem of all was the lack of work space so I used an engine lift and a couple of small trollies to move the barrel and jacket around on.

I think it is a two man job really but managed to crack it on my own.

Just need to blast,paint and fit the Brake.

Pics of strip down and the gun re-assembled today.

Rob........................rnixartillery

DSCF4702.jpg

2010_10050029.jpg

DSCF4707.jpg

2010_10050030.jpg

DSCF4585.jpg

DSCF4701.jpg

DSCF4703.jpg

DSCF4698.jpg

DSCF4589.jpg

2010_10050032.jpg

What sort of price do guns like this tend to sell for? The biggest gun I have at the moment is a .50 cal but have always wanted a Artillery piece, the 2 things that would stop me is Cost and/or space.

A complete Live 25pdr sold recently for £12K

• 1 year later...

Decided to have a bit of a change from the projects I am currently working on as I have been meaning to refurbish the sight cluster on the 25 pdr for some time,only thing putting me off is that they can be a bit fiddly and patients is required !

Anyway I have several sight clusters so I tidied one of the spares so I can just do a swap over.

Next one will be for the Pheasant project.

Rob...........................rnixartillery.

DSCF0297.jpg

DSCF0296.jpg

DSCF0295.jpg

Ivor,

When I removed the barrel I had to lift it off inside the jacket because I could not part the two on the gun,when I refitted the new parts I fitted the jacket to the recouperator first and then pushed the Barrel through the jacket and in to place.

The jacket locates into some large key ways and is fixed with two wedges and a large stirup/strap,quite a simple job if everything is free and easy to move and undo ! I thought I would repaint the Range posts while I was on .

Rob..........................rnixartillery.

DSCF6976.jpg

Hmm, the important words being "if everything is free..." I've got a bofors barrel to remove and I've got a nasty feeling that it's going to be as stuck as a very stuck thing.

The only time things are free is when they go back together especially with some of that 60 year old grease straight out of the tin !

I have done a few Bofors barrels and they can be a bit awkward,they have an odd part screw~part interupted screw arrangement.

Rob......................rnixartillery.