Fuel Consumption

Richard Peskett

All those figures would seem quite low by todays standards of economy but I assume it includes for a significant portion of off-highway driving and resulting extra fuel consumption.

I would also imagine the figures are somewhat conservative to try and make sure vehicles were re-supplied before running out of fuel.

If you think those figures are low try a Holt 75 gun tractor, according to Ron Harris who owns one the fuel comsumption is 100 YARDS to the gallon towing a load and 140 YARDS to the gallon empty, which is why he converted his to run on parrafin. I estimate the fuel tank holds around 50 gallons giving a range of 4 miles. How did they keep up with fuel supplies?

If you think those figures are low try a Holt 75 gun tractor, according to Ron Harris who owns one the fuel comsumption is 100 YARDS to the gallon towing a load and 140 YARDS to the gallon empty, which is why he converted his to run on parrafin. I estimate the fuel tank holds around 50 gallons giving a range of 4 miles. How did they keep up with fuel supplies?

Crikey! Hadn't the invented the carburettor then? Just used a funnel to tip the fuel in the engine or something.

I suppose they could've always towed their own fuel bowser. Not that much different from steam traction engines taking their own water bowser, vehicles they weren't that far removed from in design.

Regards the Holt tractor fuel consumption, that is in totally different grouping of vehicles to the truck listing. The engine size at 75 hp is approximately double to that of the trucks listed. The use of tracks, low gearing, and there fore speed it is designed to be slow with the ability to traverse rough ground and tow the designated load.

In providing enough fuel to undertake the task required, at 2 mph a 50 gallon tank of fuel would need to be refilled every two and a half hours. (100 yards to the gallon equals 17.6 gallons to the mile!!)

Still an exercise in planning the movements and the use of such a tractor. A separate supply column to bring forward enough fuel for just for one Holt in use.

Doug

Several ASC Coys that were using Holts in Egypt and Mesopotamia quote their fuel consumption as 2 gallons per mile, although that doubled over rough terrain.

I presume these are Imperial gallons? The only one I'm somewhat familiar with firsthand is the FWD and, converted to US gallons, that number seems about right to me. No Jeffery/Nash Quad on the list tho...

Interesting stats, though, and many thanks for posting!