Fox with Scorpion turret and Vixen

handler 69

When the CVRT Sabres were converted from Scorpions the army simply put the redundant Scorpion turrets onto the Fox hulls which had donated their turrets to the Scorpion Hulls. An adaptor ring was required on the Scorpion hull as the bearing diameter was different.

Why would they put the Scorpion turret on the Fox when the scorpion was being phased out? wouldn't of thought there was enough storage for 76mm rounds?

The only Fox with Scorpion turret I've seen quite a few years back was one done for a film

Why would they put the Scorpion turret on the Fox when the scorpion was being phased out? wouldn't of thought there was enough storage for 76mm rounds?

The only Fox with Scorpion turret I've seen quite a few years back was one done for a film

I don't think they were actually fitted, more like dropped on to redundant hulls for disposal.

I just got told that there is a Fox with a Scorpion turret here as well as a Vixen in Sydney.

Does anyone know how these two got to Australia? or their history? :shocked:

Cheers

Troy

Hi Troy,

I know the guy in Sydney with the Vixen. He bought it in the UK and shipped it over to Aus several years ago now.

Have you got your Fox yet?

regards, Richard

I don't think they were actually fitted, more like dropped on to redundant hulls for disposal.

As somebody pointed out, the smaller Fox turret required an adapter to make it fit the Scorpion hull: therefore the Scorpion turret would be too big for a Fox hull.

Somebody else pointed out ammo space. There was only room for 42 times 76mm rounds in a Scorpion. You'd get nothing meaningful stored in a Fox. And I don't see a Fox standing up too well (literally) to having the 76 fired over the side, so you might as well weld (or whatever you do to aluminium alloy armour) the turret to the hull.

Make a great recce vehicle ... NOT!

Hey all

It was rather a shock to find out these vehicles were here in Australia....anyway it dosn't really matter. I was interested because they are Foxes and I thought the only Vixen left was in Bovington. Well at least I know where to go if my gearbox goes tits up :-D

I have seen the Scorpion turrets on Fox bodies ( rather Frankenstien don't you think LOL)but never thought they had been operational.

My Fox was last time I looked (6 days ago) halfway down the Suez Canal...he is due in Tasmania on the 3rd of October...does anyone know if they still drain the vehicles and disconnect the batteries?

Cheers

Troy

I would certainly like to, we are still trying to scrape funds together for a Saracen as well. It all depends on what she who must be obeyed says LOL. As you know it costs us a heap to cross this little patch of water between us and the mainland LOL.

I suppose I could always drive him up there...wonder what the cops would think!

Cheers

Troy