Dornier to be raised

CAme across this on BBC.

Appears they are going to be raising a crash landed Dornier 17 from Goodwin Sands off Deal where it crash landed in the BofB.

Plan is to display the aircraft. They don't mention restore but use the term prepare. Sounds to me like they are going to keep it in its crashed condition which should make an interesting exhibit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11174324

Mike

Jack

Is it me or are we seeing more and more 'stuff' being restored - are we seeing a massive resurgence in WWII?

It's you:D. Stuff appears and disapears again in short order on the Goodwin Sands all the time -the interest has do more with happenstance, the relic being visible at a memorial time 70years since the Battle of Britain -the London Blitz and its possible loss on 26-8-1940 (assuming it is the same aircraft:nut:)

Had it been spotted 4 years ago or 18months from now it is unlikely to have received media interest -they often embargo stories relevant to previously heavily reported wartime anniversaries as the protesting public complain its getting boring -interferring with stories about Jordan (Katie Price:wow:not mid-east peace)

Allowing for preservation of aluminium structures previously submersed in salt water - I just hope they can recover it before the equinoxial storms shift the sands again.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

The way the media was talking it up last autumn I would have expected it to be sitting on the dock at Lowesoft by now;).

The article is a bit iffy too -can't see how anyone can really be convinced that DO 17 were anything but a bomber the idea that it was "designed" in 1934 as a passenger plane is a bit of a stretch. It is supposed to have started life in 1932 as a mail plane for Lufthansa and high value cargo carrier for German railways -but as early as 1933 Herman Goeing had given the game away by describing it as a cargo carrier for "special cargos" -ie bombs. It was common place for pre 3rd Riech military expenditure and weapons systems to be disguised for civil uses for example the prototype Panzer 1 was known as LAS -agricultural tractor. The DO17 is often refered to as a passenger plane supposedly carrying 6 passengers -for the original design this would have been very cramped -the original service type used in the Spanish Civil War was too cramped for its normal 3 man crew and required modification to the crew compartment which had the canopy roof raised and floor deeped.

It would be good if it was recovered however- does anyone have any photos of the remains of the similar DO215 that was recovered in 2007.

There is of course a bit on Pathfinder Online as well

http://www.pathfinderonline.co.uk/articles/item/98-the-discovery-of-a-unique-german-warplane

As for the aircraft being designed as an airliner is a bit off. It was originally designed as a freght plane for the railway and high speed mail palne. Perfect to carry one railway sleeper or a rolled up newspaper.

As this was Hermany that was building up for a war, but was banned from producing military stuff after WW1 )or something similar) it was a paperwork exercise. They could build a shed (hanger) load of fast freight planes but not bombers. Nothing said that the they had to be useful frieght planes. I am sure it was just a coincidence that they made pretty handy bombers.

Hopefully I have remembered it correctly.

Mike

abn deuce

In the articial I read over here it said that it was built of one piece of aluminum ?

IMO more journalistic b******ks -it possible that they have mis-interperated some use of new (for 1932) airframe design/ building techniques such as overall stressed aluminum skin and framing as opposed to mixed fabric/metal structure. The only thing of note for the DO17 was early use of self sealing fuel cells/tanks, the curious incidence of the wing in relation to the fuselage - high set on the leading edge to mid set on the trailing edge and semi-circular wing tips- whether the wing tips had any value I don't know -it might have been a recognition feature rather than aero-dynamic -as it was DO17s were sometimes confused with H.P Hampdens. Edited by steveo578
spelling hampden not hampton