Dont want any more Landi's, do we?

airportable

Hi folks. Just got back from giving a look over of a ser.III Airportable GC. I was offered at Tern Valley show.

The seller has had folks after it but wants it restored back to military spec. and used for such.

Asking price £500 del. Thought we looked the folks to do it:D.

Mods, apart from minor, wheels. steering wheel. 'Outside' fuel filler, truck cab ( prof. done) and half bulkhead put back approx 3" (prof.done) He is a very tall bloke.

The bulkhead,footwells, top vent rail show no sign of rot. He has stripped it back to bare metal, etch primer and respray in grey.

Very straight panels, all lights,parts etc. etc. in ammo boxes.

Down side, would need rear 1/4 chassis and fuel tanks.

Project idea, long for a recon. version (being 12v does not matter to me in this case) So no canvas tilt does not matter.

Only real downside is it would need a GPMG to complete!!

Question... shall I buy and start a rebuild blog? A pic. or two. Andy.

2010-09-03 New Landi.jpg

2010-09-03 New Landi (6).jpg

2010-09-03 New Landi (8).jpg

2010-09-03 New Landi (9).jpg

2010-09-03 New Landi (13).jpg

2010-09-03 New Landi (14).jpg

Thanks folks. After mulling over for a hour or two, and a lead on fuel tanks and help kindly offered on welding chassis I have made up my mind to go for it. Forgot to say in original post. Seller is first owner since MOD, it was white with UN on doors!

What shall I do? want a reconn. veh. But should I restore to UN?

When it lands on my drive will start new thread on rebuild blog. If reconn. rebuild will need help on fittings/detail etc.

Andy.

Just love the Airportable.:nut:

Hi folks. Done the deal!!:D

On my hols. this week so now having a coffee, load up tools and off to pick up mate and on to a breakers yard with a lead on good fuel tank (hope it's still there) Hope to get a back of seat bulkhead to replace modified one just in case I decide to replace, but may just leave alone.

Well it beats going to the seaside:nut:.

Andy.

Update. Just been chatting to seller of Landi. I may have it on my drive this week:D. Turns out He had done quite a bit to it before the 'wife' came along. New springs etc. all round, gearbox reconn!!:D:D He kept every mil. part taken off, steering wheel etc:D:D:D

Trip to the scrappy turned up no fuel tank. Have been told tonight that someone is making polyprop. ones, anyone come accross them? I'm intrested if this is correct.

But I did come back with a older wheel arch tool box, and a few bits and bobs. Oh, and a couple of pics, of orig. stenciling, and marks I have never seen before. Will post if the pics. turned out ok. The scrap Landi had all Data plates stripped.

Andy.

Doesn't look like they have a search officer at the moment http://forum.emlra.org/viewtopic.php?t=7810

Better to write a polite letter to Defence Estates and Support as they will send you a copy of the Merlin data as long as your letter is very nice and polite.

If you want details then PM me! :cool:

Hi Andy,

Sounds like a nice find. Could you please post some pictures of the bulkhead modification once you have it at home? Thanks in advance!

Hanno

Hi, yes no prob. at all. Have decided after a second look to leave this mod. well allone. I would cause more damage to a great paint surface/job. It is ideal for just a flatting off and respray. My only real option would be a replacement tub.

Andy.

Hi, yes no prob. at all. Have decided after a second look to leave this mod. well allone. I would cause more damage to a great paint surface/job. It is ideal for just a flatting off and respray. My only real option would be a replacement tub.

Hi Andy, thanks, will be interesting to see. Any well carried out mods are worthwile to leave alone, at least during the first stage of the restoration. You can always replace the tub by the time the chassis needs replacing too :D

I have always fancied the Lightweight but ever since trying to drive one during my military service I was puzzled why they built them with so little legroom - but then, maybe the tallest people in the world should shut up and build their own cars ;)

Hanno

Better to write a polite letter to Defence Estates and Support as they will send you a copy of the Merlin data as long as your letter is very nice and polite.

If you want details then PM me! :cool:

Thanks Wayne. Would like to know the history when sorted.

A couple of picks. of remaining markings on sad:embarrassed: Landi at breakers. Think from gen panel,shunt box it is a 2A, but not sure.

Andy.

2010-09-06 Landrover.jpg

2010-09-06 Landrover (1).jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi folks. The 'new' !! Landi has arrived today :D.

Er, may need a little more TLC on the chassis than I thought. So advice on chassis parts will be needed. (never done a chassis up restoration on a Landi).

Good clean out of tub etc. and I'm still very pleased with my buy indeed.

Just a couple of pics. of the recovery. Then when I start, will open a restoration blog thread.

Andy.

2010-10-24 New Airportable (3).jpg

2010-10-24 New Airportable (6).jpg

2010-10-24 New Airportable (9).jpg