Hi Guys

Scoobster

Hi Everyone,

My names Del and i'm new to the forum and new to military vehicles so i thought i would say Hello!!!! I took my son to the DLI Military Vehicle Show today just like my dad took me years ago and my son asked if we could get a vehicle to work on over the winter and take to events next year so............. :-D can anyone help in pointing me in the right direction? whats the best thing to get as a first vehicle? and how much should i be paying?

Hope to meet you all at some point

Thanks

Del

Evening Del.

Good to see you here and welcome to the world of MV's and I was in your position about 12 moths ago so you are in good company.

We are privileged to have wonderful members who have a wealth of knowledge and they are more than happy to help where ever they can!

With regards to what vehicle....it has to be a 1944 GMC 353 - a real mans vehicle :wink:

Best wishes.

Jack.

Hi Del, welcome. Thats some question, firstly it depends on the period, 2nd World War

or post war, then nationality and last but definitely not least depth of pocket. If cost and ease of maintenance etc is the main criteria then a Land Rover would probably be your best option but remember 'Act in haste, Repent at Leisure'. Join the Military Vehicle Trust, attend the local area meetings and I am sure you will be pointed in the right direction.

Hi Del

Welcome to the forum, as Degsy has said, its a very big question.................

How much space do you have, to park said vehicle;................I'd just love a Matador, and could (just) afford to buy one,........but I'd be stumped to store it when I'm not using it;.and the cost's involved, unless your lucky....... :roll:

Landrovers are (probably) the easiest way to get involved,.spares back up is very good, and there are quite a few guys 'out there', who can rebuild/work on them, if needed,...also, they CAN, if ness, be used as day to day transport............

Valid point made by Enigma, by the way :tup:

Come back to us with the period your interested in, and someone here will be able to helpfully give you some more specific info.

All the best.

Andy

Hi Del,

If you're good with spanners and have the space I'd agree with Jack and say get a GMC: there's enough space to kip in the back, the exhaust note is to die for and they aren't too uneconomical. Maintenance is ok and spares are readily available. The best thing is you can take it to Tesco's and menace Mums in 4x4s!

Enjoy! - Mike

After reading your reply I also think a GMC would be a good bet, everything Mike says

I can vouch for, reliability is usually pretty good and as they will cruise happily all day

at 40mph distance is no problem, plus they are BRILLIANT to drive.

Have fun

Degsy

Hi Del,

If you're good with spanners and have the space I'd agree with Jack and say get a GMC: there's enough space to kip in the back, the exhaust note is to die for and they aren't too uneconomical. Maintenance is ok and spares are readily available. The best thing is you can take it to Tesco's and menace Mums in 4x4s!

Enjoy! - Mike

Blimey Mike, someone is agreeing with me :flower:

You can drive a GMC on your licence and its tax and test exempt, insurance is also very reasonable. Obviously you aren't allowed to carry a load in it or tow a loaded trailer but personal property , kit, camping gear is ok.

GO FOR IT :tup:

if you've got children then a gmc is ideal, drive up to a show & all you need is in the back without having to put up tents etc, also if it is raining you have somewhere to sit.

I have got my first gmc on the road & it is ace.

we started off with a landrover & progressed to a ww11 bedford mw which is about the same size as a dodge, the bedford is fab & we wouldn't sell it even though we now have the Jimmy.

a reo is post war american & about the same size as a jimmy but a lot faster.you can get an unregistered series 3 for a few hundred pounds & with a bit of paint & may be the odd bit of mechanics you can have a real tidy vehicle where as the ww11 vehicles start at thousands & the less work they need the more thousands they are.

welcome to the mad house by the way & enjoy the chase ( thats the hard part)

cheers

berni

Hi Del,

I started with a Jeep,to get the feel of owning a military vehicle they are great fun to nip around in but lack the space for the occasional overnight stay. Then I was not content parking next to bigger Mv's So I brought a GMC 353 with Ben Hur trailer,Wow what a difference being able to see the road from the heavens,driving with the windscreen down in a big truck is Awesome. Then came along a 352 short wheel based GMC,in quite a poor state,after several months and a lot of work,Im about to put her on the road. So from your question I'd have to say go for a Dodge WC 52 with a ben hur trailer as your first vehicle, They are big enough to camp in for 2 people 2 more in the ben hur ,are bigger than a jeep, smaller than a GMC, less tyres to maintain ,spares are readily available, and slightly better fuel consumption than a GMC.

I'll be after a Dodge next but wouldn't dream of selling my 2 GMC Beauties and Jeep

Thanks for all the info guys, i was thinking of a Dodge WC52 or similar, i would love a GMC but as a first MV would it not be a little bit too much for a novice? what sort of price would i be looking to pay for a good Dodge WC52? and where's the best place to buy from?

Del.

No worries on a GMC for a first vehicle. The first time that I had sat in one was when it was unloaded off the lorry, a great vehicle to drive and as said spares are easy to find but storage can be a problem.

WC's are a wonderful vehicle, in fact they have to be the supreme vehcile of WW2, price wise you are looking at £3000-£5000.

Cheers.

Jack

A Dodge is somewhat easier in size and fueleconomy.

A WC 51 or 52 shouldn't be too expensive either.

If a Jeep is too small/expensive and a GMC too big a Dodge is a good vehicle.

Also a Dodge is reliable like a Jeep and GMC.

I left the Army two decades ago and was distraught recently to learn that the venerable Ferret Scout Car has finally been retired. (Earlier this month I learned that this was after GW1). The presenter of the Tank Demonstration at Bovington Tank Museum (Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at midday in summer) announced that there were now lots of happy restorers.

There are a good few Ferret owners in here (oh how I wish I could afford to be one). It's no bigger than a Landrover, but it's the best ride you'll ever have (can you guess I spent a lot of time in Ferrets?) and parts and expertise ought not to be an issue.

Gets my vote.

I agree with the Ferret idea. We started off with an Austin Champ, which was on the road, and quickly moved to a Ferret and then on to heavier stuff. My Ferret was our first restoration project, it was very enjoyable and we didn't have too many problems. There are loads of spares around, they are great to drive, small and compact and there are plenty about. At the moment there seems to be loads for sale, recently a nice mk1 was on ebay at £3500 with no reserve, and did not get any bids. I am only 23 and so can't drive heavy vehicles but a Ferret Mk 1 is under 3.5 tons so no problems there. Oh yes and it's made of real metal, not like those tin can GMCs!

Chris

Or, like me, you could plead total insanity and go get the ultimate toy - a nice little FV622 Probably better known to you as an Alvis Stalwart :evil: :evil:

You can go for a (admittedly slow) rumble through country lanes or you can go beat up the countryside off-road or you can go for a cruise on the river/lake of your choice!!! :-) 8-)