As I've not seen any reports on HMVF on this year's Tankfest, I thought I'd post a link to the review and photos from my website.

I know that some on here have some issues with this event, but I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the day despite the indrecible heat. It was a treat to see the Jagdpanther from the SDKFZ Foundation along with several vehicles that I had never seen before.

This year's mock battle took the form of a demonstration from the RAC Training Regt showing some of the methods utilised in Afghanistan. Earlier in the day they had also put some of their current vehicles through thier paces in the arena. These included the Panther and Vixen, in addition to Warrior, Trojan and Challenger 2.

Other motive displays depicted the development of tanks and armoured vehicles from the Daimler Ferret up to the Challenger 1 and Leopard and also included two new restorations of a Daimler Mk.I armoured car and M3A1 Stuart in North Africa colours. Historic Armour ranged from the Tank Museum's Rolls-Royce Armoured Car, through the Marmon Herrington Mk.IV and Saladin to the M60 and T69. It was also good to see the Centurion, Chieftain and Khalid in action together along with the Challenger 1. It was in this section that one could view rarities like the SU 100, ACRV M1974 and YW701 Armoured Command Vehicle in action. German armour this year, in addition to the Jagdpanther was limited to the Panzer III and Kettenkrad.

Following their recent introduction to Tankfest, the Living History displays this year depicted the Russian Front, North Africa, The Red Ball Express, Recon Regiments and US Airborne and judging from the reaction of the crowds gathered around each group, it is a very welcome addition.

Anyway, here is the link to the review and photos:

http://www.simonsfotos.co.uk/c1868550.html

The rear shot of the sand coloured Saladin is iteresting. Notice the exhaust shield, it;s flat.

The normal one is HUGE round & HEAVY! (I know, I had a Saladin Once!) Is this the result of a Deisel conversion? I have not seen this before, but am aware that Budge did do a coversion of the 600 series of vehicles as a Military option. If it is Deisel, then a practical mod. But i love the fact that these vehicles are so quiet when they go past, the same as Ferrets! :D

Mike

The rear shot of the sand coloured Saladin is iteresting. Notice the exhaust shield, it;s flat.

The normal one is HUGE round & HEAVY! (I know, I had a Saladin Once!) Is this the result of a Deisel conversion? I have not seen this before, but am aware that Budge did do a coversion of the 600 series of vehicles as a Military option. If it is Deisel, then a practical mod. But i love the fact that these vehicles are so quiet when they go past, the same as Ferrets! :D

Mike

Yes it is a deisel conversion,I was one of the many Freinds of the Tank museum who helped out this year, I was the commander of the T59 this year. The chef,khalid and cally 1 was a good display,the daimler amoured car was only deliverd to the museum on friday, we had also the Tiger out under a tent and rommels staff car was also there,the su100 i had worked on earlyer in the week to get it ready, a good show. The Stuart and John pearson valintine will be at W&P show at The friends of the Tank museums tent come and say hello.

Big Al

Al

Edited by Big Al

As I've not seen any reports on HMVF on this year's Tankfest, I thought I'd post a link to the review and photos from my website.

I know that some on here have some issues with this event, but I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed the day despite the indrecible heat. It was a treat to see the Jagdpanther from the SDKFZ Foundation along with several vehicles that I had never seen before.

This year's mock battle took the form of a demonstration from the RAC Training Regt showing some of the methods utilised in Afghanistan. Earlier in the day they had also put some of their current vehicles through thier paces in the arena. These included the Panther and Vixen, in addition to Warrior, Trojan and Challenger 2.

Other motive displays depicted the development of tanks and armoured vehicles from the Daimler Ferret up to the Challenger 1 and Leopard and also included two new restorations of a Daimler Mk.I armoured car and M3A1 Stuart in North Africa colours. Historic Armour ranged from the Tank Museum's Rolls-Royce Armoured Car, through the Marmon Herrington Mk.IV and Saladin to the M60 and T69. It was also good to see the Centurion, Chieftain and Khalid in action together along with the Challenger 1. It was in this section that one could view rarities like the SU 100, ACRV M1974 and YW701 Armoured Command Vehicle in action. German armour this year, in addition to the Jagdpanther was limited to the Panzer III and Kettenkrad.

Following their recent introduction to Tankfest, the Living History displays this year depicted the Russian Front, North Africa, The Red Ball Express, Recon Regiments and US Airborne and judging from the reaction of the crowds gathered around each group, it is a very welcome addition.

Anyway, here is the link to the review and photos:

http://www.simonsfotos.co.uk/c1868550.html

Simon good photos there is a few of me on them have left a comment on them Its a T59 not a T69, T59 was made in china under licence and is based on the T54

Al

Thanks for the info Big Al. Call it finger trouble as I did actually know it was a Chinese T59!

Oh and oily I know what you mean! The sound of some of them was amazing but I fear there is yet to be a stills camera that can give sound with a still image! Certainly the taste was different especially of the dust that lingered in the throat for ages!

Thanks for the info Big Al. Call it finger trouble as I did actually know it was a Chinese T59!

Oh and oily I know what you mean! The sound of some of them was amazing but I fear there is yet to be a stills camera that can give sound with a still image! Certainly the taste was different especially of the dust that lingered in the throat for ages!

Not a problem

Al

• 2 weeks later...

If this is the tank I think it was, I had a chat with the owner last year who marvelled that I was the first person all weekend (Sunday afternoon) not to call it a T54. I passed comment on the fume extractor and he told me that was a red herring cos, like myriads of tanks around the world it had been fitted with an L7.

I got lucky for once.

Historical mate, for years it had been supported by vehicle owners making the show before the museum had many vehicles of it's own. Then without warning they were not required any more, some sort of deal having been done with the re-enacting fraternity. This is only the bare bones if you search the forum you will find a lengthy thread from last year on the subject.

Time to forgive and forget perhaps , if a certain D Bader and A Galland could become friends ....... :-)

That didn't happen overnight and a lot still haven't forgotten after 70 years and in my opinion nor should they. As regards the Tank Museum I have no axe to grind but I have sympathy with the vehicle owners who supported the museum with financial and practical help when it was on it's a..e only to be unceremoniously dumped when corporate money appeared.