Buying an FV432?

andym

As a newcomer I'm after advice on the purchase of an FV432.

The vehicle would be kept at my sister's farm in Devon but I'd like to take it out on the road occasionally, if only for the Tesco run! I've got my Group H, so that's sorted, but what about the vehicle itself? There are various two or three year old threads here about registering them for the road, and some references to recent problems with DVLA about them being over-width. So if it's no longer possible to register them, I'm down to finding one from a private seller? Or has anyone managed to register one recently?

Andy

Hi Andy.

I do know of someone who is selling a road registered FV432 - reasonably priced.

I suggest you seriously consider buying a road registered 432 to save yourself a lot of agro.

If interested - PM me and I shall pass you the details.

Regards

Markheliops

Hi Andy

Which part of Devon are you going to store this "item"?

We are right in the middle halfway between barnstaple and exeter

Paul

Hi Paul -

Slightly further west than that, between Tavistock and Launceston.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, first post, been lurking for a while but thinking of getting a 432 once we move house and have a bit more space,

I had the same question as the original post really - is it definatley not possible to road register a 432 anymore? kind of limits the choice a bit as I definately want to be able to drive it on the road and so would only be able to get a previously registered one, so is this just more hearsay or does it depend what you enter as a class/vehicle type/documentation you have etc etc??

"good choice of vehicle if you want fun and practicality along with an easy drive the 432 can't be beat. there's also a way of making them road legal with a bit of modification:cool2:"

if you posted what the mods were it would make any decisions to buy or not a lot easier i am curious. As you post suggests they arnt road legal wether all ready registered or not

Edited by Marmite!!
quote tags added

Hi All,

Apart from the road legal side of buying a 432. Try and get one with good running gear. This seems the hardest (costly) part to replace, as not many parts are being released. Most replacements available are from vehicles being broken.

As for the rest of a vehicle, depends which type you want? A couple of 434's have been available lately, but with parts of crane missing, and I imagine impossible to find. As for the 439s, the couple of variants have loads of extra kit to go with them, and not always supplied, and a lot heavier. But a few of them have been refurbished with new wheels etc! As for a standard 432, lots being released at the moment, one very nice one went through although had a major oil leak, it must of had thousands spent on it.

See vid...

Basically try to get as a complete vehicle as possible, they are around. Comms kit is easy to get at the moment, well if you want clansman.

Hope this helps

Dougy