Saracens unused for Bomb Disposal in NI

haybaggerman

Hi Haybaggerman,

The Saracen above (the one following the Pig) definately has a turret, I have the same picture here. The turret is reversed & the commander is leaning on the rear door flap. On my copy you can clearly see the smoke dischargers & the outline of the turret lid behind the commanders shoulders.

So my vote is YES it is turreted.

Howard.

I thought turret was facing backwards...thasnks for confirmation.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Haybaggerman,

I remembered after my last post that we confirmed you said it was Mk5 earlier in the thread. But anyway your pics confirmed it....square filler neck & ventilation fan housing. Must say it's a well tidy looking motor....somebody took good care of it. Nice one !!

So anyway, yes it's uparmoured & would have started life as a Mk2. The Mk2 when uparmoured becomes the Mk5.

Oh, & regarding the welded plate over the rear engine cover....the drawing in the User Handbook of a Mk5 shows this plate fitted as well.

Now, they would`nt show that plate if it had been fitted as part of an RFC removal programme. Drawings of the Mk2 do not show the plate. Therefore, methinks, that plate is wholly original as part of the uparmouring.

Ain't Saracens GREAT ?:nut:

H