Paint help needed.

Gordon_M

I use a lot of OD green paint on my projects, and I generally get it from Steve Rivers in one litre cans. I have a new project here to paint, and fortunately I have plenty of OD green, but ...

I used to buy primer, thinners, and the like from Brown Brothers, but since I last dealt with them they have gone 'trade only' and won't even supply to me through my own company - basically if you are not a car / commercial vehicle paint company they dont want to know.

Can you lot suggest any suppliers of vehicle paint and primer that will deal with the general public, preferably with branches in Scotland that I can get to?

I'm only looking for two one litre cans of primer and a litre of flat white ( for the inside of my K-38 Cable Splicer trailer.

Any suggestions? I don't fancy trying Halford rattle cans for a whole trailer.

Gordon

I use a lot of OD green paint on my projects, and I generally get it from Steve Rivers in one litre cans. I have a new project here to paint, and fortunately I have plenty of OD green, but ...

I used to buy primer, thinners, and the like from Brown Brothers, but since I last dealt with them they have gone 'trade only' and won't even supply to me through my own company - basically if you are not a car / commercial vehicle paint company they dont want to know.

Can you lot suggest any suppliers of vehicle paint and primer that will deal with the general public, preferably with branches in Scotland that I can get to?

I'm only looking for two one litre cans of primer and a litre of flat white ( for the inside of my K-38 Cable Splicer trailer.

Any suggestions? I don't fancy trying Halford rattle cans for a whole trailer.

Gordon

Gordon,

Contact HMG Paints to get what you want. I have just bought 5lts of BS 361 Light Stone Satin finish and 5lts of synthetic primer. They had to make the paint up, but from order to delivery was about two or three days. Delivered by courier direct to my private address no problem. Excellent service and the paint was very good too. Make sure when you order you state what level of sheen you want, ie Matt, Satin etc.

I bought some primer and thinners from Auto Paint Supplies in Newbury and the stuff they supplied was HMG Paint!

Here is the link.

http://www.hmgpaint.com/

you could use HMG Manchester , Williamsons Paint Ripon, or Pronto paints Chesterfield, but all will charge postage. I notice you have a Carlac in Livingston, they will stock HMG, Masons, ICI etc. They'll also do all the thinners etc. 5l of HMG synthetic primer, should set you back approx £25ish + VAT.

If you buy paint etc fairly regularly, ask to set up a cash account, that way your discounts will be given each time, rather than having to rely on the generosity of the sales person!

All noted, thank you.

I'm going to do the rounds of the local paint supply places today and see if I can persuade any of them to sell for cash, failing which you have given me several alternatives.

thanks again

Gordon

Hi Gordon.

If you still get a problem in getting companies to sell to you. Try Marcos Glenn

http://www.marcusglenn.com . I have bought paint from him and not had a problem

with them only supplying to companies. I know he's not local too you, but I had my paint in 3 days.

Hope this helps.

Clive

protruckservices.com

I tried one of these companies by phone, and when I told them where I was they were able to point me at a small independent company in Falkirk that was quite happy to deal cash. Apparently they have been in business for about 15 years and they are only two miles from my house, but I'd never heard of them.

£33 bought me two litres of primer, one of white gloss ( for the interior) and a litre of thinners - all compatible with the OD green I had on the shelf.

Spent the rest of the day priming and painting, sitting here quite happy but with hands a mixture of pink, grey and OD.

Next week I hope to finish cleaning down the interior compartments and put the white paint inside and in the lower rear compartment.

Thanks again for the help.

Gordon ( scrubbing paint off hands any minute now )

k38gmw10.jpg

k38gmw11.jpg

Tucker Sno-Cat, 1953, type 443, in US Navy markings from around the time of Operation Deep Freeze in the Antarctic, marginally before four larger versions crossed Antarctica with Fuchs and Hillary.

Basically it is a one ton Dodge with permanent 4 x 4 and triangular wheels. Construction is more light aircraft than truck, but the track system plus the Dodge flathead six allows it to tow all four of my Saginaw M-19 ski / wheel trailers dollied up.

Anyway, thanks for the paint help.

SCA4.jpg

M2006.jpg