Hurricanes over Coningsby

Jon8910

I'm used to seeing many variations of BBMF formations over my house near RAF Coningsby but this one took me by surprise this afternoon. Is it a first for 4 Hurricanes to be airborne together for a good few years? BBMFs LF363, PZ865 with G-HURI, G-HUPW.

Hurricanes 3.jpg

Hurricanes 2.jpg

Hurricanes 1.jpg

As I got home from work yesterday, a Merlin powered aircraft flew over, at first I thought it to be our local Mustang, but from the glimpse of it, I could swear it was a Hurricane, heading North over Ashford. Your sighting today, made me check out the Flypast fourm and sure enough there was a flypast over Hendon museum yesterday evening of two Hurricanes, so maybe I was right. I believe there is an airshow at Duxford this weekend as well, so could be a bit of warbird activity about.

2 Hurricanes flew over us about an hour ago, I was merrily doing the gardening when I heard them approaching. They came from the direction of the Isle of Wight, did what looked like a circuit of our back garden then flew off in an Easterly direction! Wonder if they were looking our truck and the neighbours Dodge?!!!! Well you never know!

I just logged on here to say I 'thought' I saw 4 Hurricanes fly over our house (Stickney, near Coningsby) but surely it could'nt be, could it?........obviously it was !!!

What a fantastic sight. See the Spitfire regularly.....Hurricane less often. So I could'nt believe my eyes to see 4.

Seen the Dakota going in & out twice as well, always with the side door open. Last year it came up the lane at tree top level, throttled right back, coughing, spluttering, farting & popping through the exhausts.....sounded like a bunch of Hells Angels approaching.

Our lane is a dead straight line from Coningsby to the ranges at Friskney on the coast.

Everyday an airshow round here :nut:

Howard.

Lanc was up over our house a few days ago, so it has obviously passed its flight test, following its recent period of unserviceability....

Wasn't the Lanc supoosed to be doing a flypast of Manchester to do with the Avro anniversary?

Mike

BBMF sent as many aircraft as possible to Duxford for a launch to their new season and 70th Anniversary of the 1940 Battle of Britain, (I dont know if the 4 hurricanes was a prelude to that event). Was quite quiet in the garden without the sound of Merlins over the house.

The Lanc was back doing practise displays and circuits at Coningsby late afternoon, peace and quiet shattered!!!! :D:D:D:D