WW1 Engine

Nick Johns

Commer were certainly around in 1909 as there will be one on the Brighton run next weekend. Not quite sure when they started though. Tim (Great War Truck) will tell us I am sure.

In the mean time, I will ask around. It looks to be about 4litres so a bit small for a lorry. Possibly a van? Give me a week and I will see what I can come up with.

Thanks for the link!

Steve

I have just had some feedback and this is what he says:

'I would say it is what he says, a Commer engine. If you look closely you can just make out Commer, London on the crankcase, their name would also be cast into the barrels on the side we can't see!'

So there you are! I would say that the style could be from 1910, say, up until the late 1920s but that is just a guess on my part. If I turn up any more pics, I will post them.

Steve

I have just had some feedback and this is what he says:

'I would say it is what he says, a Commer engine. If you look closely you can just make out Commer, London on the crankcase, their name would also be cast into the barrels on the side we can't see!'

So there you are! I would say that the style could be from 1910, say, up until the late 1920s but that is just a guess on my part. If I turn up any more pics, I will post them.

Steve

Steve,

Were'nt they called Commercial Cars in the early days? It looks like that is what is on the crankcase.

• 3 months later...

This Commer engine has had quite a chequered military vehicle history. Back in 1963 Thornycrofts at Basingstoke were mind to dispose of their WW1 'J' type mobile anti-aircraft gun lorry. This had originally after the Great War been on display at the Crytstal Palace along with several other motor vehicle including two FWD 'B' types etc. Unfortunately when the collection was moved to Imperial College in 1924 there was no room for the larger items, the German tank was cut up on site by scrap metal merchants Thomas Ward and I assume the FWDs met a similar fate ( one was an early model with brass case radiator and balloon winch body) . The 'J' type was somewhat luckier and was handed back to Thornycrofts in exchange for a model of it. It joined the 1896 steam van along with a couple of other early vehicles at the Basingstoke works. All was well untill September 1939 when it seemed a good idea to put the old 'J' out of doors to act as a possible deterent to German aerial raiders . Never retuning to undercover accommodation, the engine was reputedly sold in the mid 1950s to a South African customer. Bought in 1963 by Tom Redburn of Enfield to keep his WWI FWD company the problem was the missing engine. About this time the mortal remains of a WWI Commer 'RC' turned up at West Drayton, duely acquired it provided a much needed power unit for the 'J'. Most of Tom Reburns collection passed to Hardwicks of West Ewell in the 1970s, about this time I had acquired a M4 engine when clearing a Sussex scrapyard, this I sold to George Hardwick and it was put with the 'J' . later the 'J' went to an owner at Leighton Buzzard who finally sold it to the IWM. In the late 1980s it was totally restored in my workshops where we removed the Commer engine and fitted the correct Thornycroft M4 engine. At this time the serial numbers were checked only to find that it was the same lorry that had been in the collection some 60 years previous. The Commer engine was returned to the IWM and obviously has been disposed of by them in more recent times.

Richard Peskett.

pencil.png

Untitled-4.jpg

Thanks Richard

Didn't you also tell me that it has now found a good home with a chap who has plans to use it in an early CommerCar chassis that he's found?

It's ok, you can also mention he's restored an early CommerCar single decker b*s, but you have to whisper about such things on here.

Thanks Richard

It's ok, you can also mention he's restored an early CommerCar single decker b*s, but you have to whisper about such things on here.

I don't see a problem with mentioning the word 'b*s' , they are really just lorries with livestock bodies aren't they?