Hotchkiss Jeep just will not start !!

slick50

Question

Please could anyone throw some light or spot something i havn't.

Had lots of vehicles over the years and do all my own stuff but this has got me beat.

First signs were...started to smoke while out on a run and eventually came to a stop.

The oil was very thin and i always use the best and had not done many miles since change.

Did comp test on all 4 and around 110.Changed plugs,cond,points.Fitted new oil pump cos not 100 % about pressure.Good spark on all 4,took off head to check valves and general cond...all seemed fine.She will not fire and have towed her too.

Any ideas would be very welcome.....many many thanks.

Barry.

7 answers to this question

Please could anyone throw some light or spot something i havn't.

Had lots of vehicles over the years and do all my own stuff but this has got me beat.

First signs were...started to smoke while out on a run and eventually came to a stop.

.She will not fire and have towed her too.

Any ideas would be very welcome.....many many thanks.

Barry.

Did you inadvertainly fill up with Diesel fuel ?? would produce the same symtons, smoking and then stop

Edited by Nick Johns

Would definatley check over all of the fuel lines and filters, mine ran then stopped , ran again etc

Turned out to be a filter screen on the banjo union going into the carb, would let a bit through to start then under load starve the thing. Most anoying until you find its actually thier. No smoke associated with my episode however.

Tim

Can you be more specific on the smoking? And the thin oil? I'm still suspicious of what you describe as 'very thin oil' - do you think it could have been diluted with fuel? Very thin oil would get past the rings and cause smoke.

A Humber FV16XX breakdown we had once started pumping petrol into the sump through the lift pump - that smoked too, and eventually after a long run on a winching job what could only be described as 'thick petrol' started flooding out of the dipstick tube :shocked:

Hiya I am dealing with a hotchkiss right now with the same issue. Its excessive fuelling of the engine. This creates black smoke, the engine floods and it cuts out. Fuel leaks down the bores and thins the oil. You will find your oil pressure dropping as well.

Make sure you change oil as you will experience excessive wear otherwise...

To fix - check teh condition of your carb especially the cut out valve that sits on top the float. Also check your float height.

If its not any of this, its the fuel pump is pushing too much fuel through. You need an inline controlling flow valve to slow the fuel flow down (you can get from a motor factors). Or change your fuel pump to a less 'enthusiastic' one

Apparently there are a good deal of hotchkiss owners with the same issue currently - it took me hours to work this out.

To prove it - gravity feed the petrol into the carb so its not under so much pressure the engine will run fine that way.

I'm not sure whats causing it - wonder if its the viscosity of new fuels we are using, the fuel is thinner ???? or the pumps/ valves wear and 'over pump'...

Hope that helps

Baz

Willyshotchkissjeeps.com