Shuttleworth D-Day Air Display 6 June 2010‏, vehicles required.

I've been asked by the trustee's of the Shuttleworth Collection to post this up and ask for your help to make the day even more impressive for the visitors.

The Shuttleworth Collection is holding a special air display on the 6th June 2010 commemorating D-Day. Pre-booked military vehicles and drivers get in for free.

Standard Adult admission £25.

Children (up to age 16) FREE.

For more information and to pre-book your vehicle visit our website www.shuttleworth.org, e-mail collection@shuttleworth.org or telephone 01767 627927

The Shuttleworth Collection

Old Warden Aerodrome

Nr. Biggleswade

Beds.

SG18 9EP

Some of you have been to the collection before and know what a unique site it is with airworthy edwardian era aircraft mixing with some of the heavier metal of the second world war. We have a selection of homebased ww2 vehicles, including my family's GPW, WC54, and the Collection's WOT 2, BSA M20's and we are aiming to have a gathering of other military vehicles to supplement the air display.

It is hoped that as part of the display we will have a Dakota landing on, this will be the largest aircraft we have had on the ground at one of our shows and should look bloody impressive on our small grass airfield.

Hope to see many of you there, any questions feel free to ask.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick reminder to anyone who would like to come and bring their vehicles to our airshow on sunday.

Just to clarify the position, we've been told that all WW2 vehicles have to be pre-registered. In return the vehicle and driver will get free access. Any additional adults have to pay the standard admission fee.

Given the short timescale, we'll accept emails.

If you know anyone who's interested, please ask them to email me at andrew.ogden@shuttleworth.org

I need to know their name, address, contact phone number, email address and details of the WW2 vehicle that they're bringing.

We need them no later than Thursday otherwise they won't get their pass in time.

I hope to see many of you for a great show.

so if a driver wants to bring his family its a dear do ! surely as peoples vehicles help the shows , could passengers not be free too? ......(just a thought )

i remember when the rallies use to pay your petrol ,good old days !

Edited by Willyslancs

Sadly the days when every one could get in for nowt are long gone, so yes the family would have to pay but kids under 16 are free! Not only do you get the airshow you get the Swiss Gardens, bird of prey and a large playground for the little ones included in the airshow price.

Historic aeroplanes aren't cheap things to run, and I'd put money on the fact that the most expensive running cost is the insurance!

Would love to do Old Warden, but it also clashes with the Duxford show and also the Debach Airfield event. I'll be at the latter, taking lots of photos, so hopefully there will be other HMVF'ers doing the other two shows who can provide plenty of pictures so we don't miss out on anything.

Sadly the days when every one could get in for nowt are long gone, .

yes, and soon gone will some greedy show organisers, until they wake up to the fact in these tight economic times the cost of runnIng an MV and offer some incentive to attend their show! I for one will be driving past Shuttleworth on the way to Duxford ! the fact there is a last minute appeal must tell you why there is a lack of exhibitors

Edited by Nick Johns

When will Shuttleworth wake up? They've got the base for a fantastic military vehicle show there. With its geographical location and all those acres they could lay on a fantastic show, but of course they'd need the co-operation of us owners. I'd certainly attend if it was the same format as all the other shows, in that us private owners either enter for nothing or for a very small admin fee. Let's not lose sight of the fact that we are 'the show'. Shuttleworth has got a nice cross section of material but they've only got a very very small selection of MVs, certainly not enough to support an MV show. I've always thought we could do some fantastic showpieces there combining MVs with their aircraft in set piece scenarios.

Regards, Mick Garner

Standard Adult admission £25... Wow... that's 40% more than the W&P Show:shocked:

Yes but War and Fleece can do it cheaper 'cos they charge almost all the exhibitors to show their vehicles:rolleyes::D

I have always refused to take a vehicle to any event where charges are made as a matter of principle.

Yes but War and Fleece can do it cheaper 'cos they charge almost all the exhibitors to show their vehicles:rolleyes::D

I have always refused to take a vehicle to any event where charges are made as a matter of principle.

But the entry fee for W&P allows you to camp free for 10 days !!

Standard Adult admission £25... Wow... that's 40% more than the W&P Show:shocked:

Yep and at £25 it is only 92% less than for duxford's september airshow where children (5-15 year old) cost £10.80 -At Shuttleworth they are free, sounds quite good value when you consider that you are parked on site, can sit by your car, have free entry to a large landscaped garden for the wife or in-laws, free entry to a large playground for the kids, and also free entry to a very large bird of prey centre as well as the collection and any visiting vehicles.

As a plus we have about as many toilets on site as W&P but for less people and they are kept clean! :shocked:

Edited by spanter

Hello I thought i'd have an attempt to explain a few things, this wasn't a last minute appeal for people, I was just letting people know of a show they could take their vehicle to, pay nothing to get themselves in and have a free airshow. We have been working hard to get the collection to allow people to come to the airshows and not pay as after all the money that comes in from the gates has to keep the collection running all year- not helped by public money like the IWM.

I would love Shuttleworth to host a MV show but trying to find a weekend which doesn't clash with an event on site or elseware is getting very difficult, and I agree Mick the Collection does have very few MVs. With only 2 M20's, a WOT2, a Hillman, A 1912 Crossley T5, Triumph Motorcycle and a Hucks starter it would be a poor show, but the Collection's bread and butter is aircraft and with this they do have a few more military exhibits, which is probally why it hasn't been attempted before.

I would love to go back to Debach Steve as we went a few years ago and found the place amazing with fantastic atmosphere and on the sunday watch out for the Hammond circus taking off to come to Old Warden, when we last visited Maurice did an fantastic beat up of the field.

So please don't think Shuttleworth are money grabbing but historically they have had car clubs come to the airshows for their club meets and happily pay to get in so (this still happens) so trying to get them to lose a small amount of revenue on the off chance some more public come in to see the vehicles has been very difficult.

I hope all the shows have record attendance as in this climate they all deserve it, even if it is just so that all the people in the background get to see how successfull all their hard work planning the events have been. One year we might make it to Duxford as one of my friends volunteers there and keeps saying how good the show is, but on the one show we did attend we were pushed out to the back of the field between the land warfare hall and the AAM by a load of civilian Rolls-Royces, not quite what I expected at an MV show. I have been told this doesn't happen any more.

Hopefully this has explained a few things, and you haven't got too bored reading this and if you want to go to a show with a varied display come along who knows you might like it.

By the way there should be some re-enactors on site doing some set pieces with our aircraft and equipment as in previous years, I'll try and put some pics up if I get a chance to take any, have a good safe weekend everybody.

I think money is short for everyone, public funding or not, and we all need to make sure we support our museums in any way we can.

Different museums have different strategies and constraints on fund raising, but at the end of the day if people don't support the museums in one form or another they may not be around for future generations.

Shows are one way of supporting any museum, and this weekend I urge anyone reading to consider attending or displaying, whether it's at Duxford (Military Vehicle Show), Shuttleworth (D-Day Air Display), Debach (Airfield Open Day), or any other museum. We all need all of the help we can get.

I think money is short for everyone, public funding or not, and we all need to make sure we support our museums in any way we can.

Different museums have different strategies and constraints on fund raising, but at the end of the day if people don't support the museums in one form or another they may not be around for future generations.

Shows are one way of supporting any museum, and this weekend I urge anyone reading to consider attending or displaying, whether it's at Duxford (Military Vehicle Show), Shuttleworth (D-Day Air Display), Debach (Airfield Open Day), or any other museum. We all need all of the help we can get.

Thankyou Lauren that is what I was trying to say and you said it far better than I could of done, it wasn't a dig about funding directed at IWM, people seem to think Shuttleworth have a bottom less pit for money, no-one has that any more. Hope the show goes well.

Steve

I think most people at present are being careful where they spend their money. If Old Warden allowed free entry for drive and passenger ( in my case the Mrs ), I wouldn't have any hesitation in coming, but if people can go to other shows and get in free with their passenger, 99% will go the free route.

Even free for the driver and 1/2 price for the passenger would encourage more to attend, and of course clashing with other events is always going to reduce numbers, and I suppose the key there is to try not to clash with local events, as there will always be something on somewhere in the country.

Thanks to every body who came to the show,especially Wilhelm222 and the fantastic armoured car, it looked fantastic in the flesh, hopefully everybody stayed a lot drier than me and I'll try and post some pictures up later.

Cheers

Steve