'Pig charging'

Pig problems I,ve had are no light -no charge, replaced fuse wire in gen panel then light goes out but only very low charge at low revs and no charge at high revs, ie when the clutch in the 2 speed operates. Tried a n.o.s gen panel I,d got and now have 27.5v and light out at low revs but light back on and no charge at high revs.

Looking in the back of the gen the fan looks to be turning very slowly at higher revs so I,m presuming trouble in the gen g/box.:-(:-(

Anyone had any dealings in the g/box area of these things or does anyone know of one for sale:cool2::cool2:

Must admit, looking inside the old gen panel it all looks ok.:nut:

Cheers

DaveP

Dave, I hope you had been topping up the gearbox oil if not run for a few weeks! I would avoid tangling with a gearbox rebuild, I have the EMMER & it does not look an easy task.

First thing to check on the connector to the generator is that you get 24v to the field winding on pins C (+) and B or E (-) & check the field winding for continuity.

You've replaced the fuse wire, that is the fuse for the warning light. The main fuse is a strip that is bolted down with two large headed bolts. Is that ok? These bolts can loosen.

When you're running this, you are putting the gen panel lid back on with the fording caps inside? This is important.

Dave ok fair enough. At engine revs below 2,000 rpm the generator is geared up to revolve 3 times faster than at engine revs above 2,000rpm.

So if your microswitches are currently set so it has a max charge of only 5A for fording. (It is limited because in fording as the two vent caps are screwed on to keep water out, it would overheat above 5A charging). When you rev you reduce the gen revs by a third so it will not charge.

There is no electrical mechanism in the generator itself that would cause this phenominum to cut at high revs. There must be a fault in the gen panel top cap. This is why I asked if the two cap covers are stowed correctly in the main round cover which must be fully screwed in. They are kept there for storage but their presence pushes down on the microswitches allowing full charge & it looks to me as if they are not doing this.

Dave the simplest test is to just press the two microswitches down then rev up above 2,000 rpm & see if it then charges. Best perhaps not to press the microswitches when there is current flowing as they are not rated particularly highly.

Oh yes you learn a lot more when things don't work than if everything runs along nicely all the time. Do make sure the bolts holding the main fuse are tight. Also that the bolts holding the spare fuses in the lid are secure. I had one unthread itself with time & it fell onto the main fuse bolt where it shorted out to the case, was a bit of a mess.

It is the generator Clive,:cry: tried it all out this morning ,fording caps checked etc and still the same. Looking in through the mesh grill on the rear at high revs it looked to be turning quite slowly and by pushing a small screwdriver through against the nut I was able to stop the genny turning easily so something must have gone amiss internally:-(.I,ll take it off in the next few days and have a look inside,i,ve got nothing to lose.In the mean time I,ll look for a replacement,may put a single speed one on depending on what I can find.There,s no extra radio batteries to worry about charging.

I,ll report back in when I find out what ailed it

DaveP

Dave it is extremely rare to find the Mk 1 generator, but in comparison the Mk 2 is relatively common as quite a large number were remanufactured for the Pigs in NI.

Anyway bear in mind the Mk 1 is only 12A output & the Mk 2 is 25A

By all means have a nose inside, but bear in mind the repair of this generator was not classed as Field or Unit Repair. It was a Base Repair & it requires nearly a dozen precision tools to be made up to service the gearbox assembly. So best of luck!

I will not be able to resist having a shuffty to see what has been giving me this grief.As for carrying out any repair ,thats another matter:cool2::cool2:

The old pig has thrown quite a few probs at me over the last 12 mths but I must admit I,ve quite enjoyed it all and I havent been daunted,confused at times,yes!!

Like you say Clive,you learn an awful lot when things are going wrong

DaveP