The Ferret on ebay and general ferret ownership?

matt12023

Hi Apologies if this is a re post, I searched for ferret ownership threads and no joy.

Does anyone know the ferret on e bay currently?

few questions about ferret ownership...

-How often do owners here tend to drive them? other then at shows

-whats the insurance tend to be like and who with?

-what are they like to drive? complicated controls? bad brakes?

-How often do they go wrong? If they do is there a good manual and source of parts for them?

thankyou

Ferrets (as far as my limited experience is concerned) are a blast.

In dry weather. I use mine most weeks, use it to go to work sometimes, and also pick the kids up from school. Seems like the more you use them, the better (or should I say, regular use).

Insurance is about £100/year fully comp with Footman James

They are very easy to drive when you get used to the pre-select, and to be honest that takes very little time to get used to, and is probably easier than driving a regular manual gearbox. Visibility 9despite what some say) is very good.

Reliability seems good, its all heavy duty stuff and is all mechanicals really unlike modern cars......and there is plenty of expertise on this site if you get stuck :)

as a new ferret owner myself a few pointers insurance about a 100 quid, tax free, mot exempt ,!lots of manuals on internet just got to do a bit of searching pretty easy to drive just remember l/h pedal is NOT a clutch its a gear change pedal , reversing and turning out of junctions is when visibility is poor.

As a former Ferret driver (and commander) I'd never dream of going on the road in a Ferret (or indeed I cannot think of any other armoured vehicle) without a competent commander in the top seat to give informed information on my blind spots. Going forward is fine but I'd never dream of pulling out of any junction that wasn't a simple straight T or reversing it without another pair of eyes.

thank you for your replies

sounds promising so far

so does it have some sort of automatic clutch? what happens at junctions? you hold it on the brake?

anyone know the ebay one?

It has a fluid flywheel, and the transmission system was discussed at length here: http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?18002-Stop-laughing-you-lot!!

Do not rev the engine with the brakes applied and a gear selected, you will boil the flywheel fluid and cause the seal to fail. Safest bet is to take it out of gear when stationary.

Chris

thank you for your replies

sounds promising so far

so does it have some sort of automatic clutch? what happens at junctions? you hold it on the brake?

anyone know the ebay one?

The Mk 1/2 on ebay has vanished ! The 2/3 I think is still on there.

I would recommend the ferret to any first time budding collector , as it (mainly) no more complicated than a Landrover , spare parts are generally available and they dont take up much space. Historically they are one of the longest serving vehicles the the British Army used and they have seen some (limited) action.

It better to but one that is restored , as opposed to a wreck as the wreck prices seem high at the moment , and the sale prices for complete running vehicles doesn't appear too high in comparison.

Fuel consumption is awful , expect around 5- 10 MPG :cry:

If you want any particular advice , post it here on the forum or PM me

aye it was the 2/3 i'm pondering. I'm not allowed a motorcycle due to nearly killing myself and have always been interested in armour and a wheeled vehicle is a tad more useable then a 432.

Unfortunalty the advert doesnt really say much about the vehicle. though i'm more interested in mechanical soundness then show condition

another thing l/h pedal is only ever fully up or fully depressed do not slip it hardest thing and its not that bad just practice is getting a smooth change when going down the gearbox from 4 to 3 etc the idea is when pedal fully down increase revs a bit to match 3 gear speed otherwise it lurches and puts strain on drivetrain its just a knack ( for manuals go on fv701 website and click on manuals, user handbook is a early one, mine is 1969 .edition.)

Edited by griff66
more info.

whats the craic in terms of road tax and mot? i presume because less then 7.5 tonnes it can be driven on a car licence?

oh also whats the current going rate of a running but maybe not immaculate one?

thankyou for all the answers

Edited by matt12023

it can be driven on a car licence if your licence allows you to do up to 7.5 tonnes (post 1/1/1997 licences do not)

if registered correctly it will be historic tax class so £0 road tax

it is classed as a motor tractor and therefore at the moment MOT exempt (see the legislation thread here )

if insured on a MV policy with Footman/Roadsure etc it will be around £100 for social domestic and pleasure, therefore you can pick up the kids from school but will be guilty of driving without insurance if you go to work in it (commuting use is not included)

fitting a rearview camera is wise if driving solo. Also be very aware that sweeping approaches to modern roundabouts mean you have a big blind spot for stuff coming round the roundabout, eg fast motorway/dual carriageway junctions, however, using an appropriate driving style/experience deals with this.

prices are whatever you are prepared to pay: say £4,500 - £6,500. Mk2 with turret generally more expensive (desirable) than a Mk1 without turret

reliabilty depends on who previously owned it and what they did to it, Ferrets are at least 45 years old and things will be wearing out by now

whats the craic in terms of road tax and mot? i presume because less then 7.5 tonnes it can be driven on a car licence?

oh also whats the current going rate of a running but maybe not immaculate one?

thankyou for all the answers

A Mk 1 would probably be faster and less top heavy. There are 2 (Mk 1/2's?) for sale at Manby Motorplex, both runners but needing work £4000 plus VAT,a nd there may be a discount if two are bought together .

I think a reasonably well restored (but needing TLC) Mk 1 should be around the £4500 - £5000 mark.

A Mk 1 would probably be faster and less top heavy. There are 2 (Mk 1/2's?) for sale at Manby Motorplex, both runners but needing work £4000 plus VAT,a nd there may be a discount if two are bought together .

I think a reasonably well restored (but needing TLC) Mk 1 should be around the £4500 - £5000 mark.

ah good lead that, though it says they need CES kit?

They confused me with saying 'need' CES kit, were as when I googled it, it seemed to be odds and sods of tools ect.

If a vehicle is direct ex army does it need to undergo some sort of SVA, IVA test to be reqistered on the road and get a Q plate?

at least with there being some around there is no need to rush into a decision

no sva test write to tank museum get date in service letter cost u 20 odd quid take this and insurance cert done on hull and or army reg ,to local dvla place pay 55 quid ball is now rolling wait poss couple of weeks inspector comes makes sure mv exists i gave him my mot exemption form then week ish later letter comes thru with tax disc letter lets u get age related plates made up another week or so v5 comes thru.

Get a decent one, if you are unsure then get someone on here to inspect it. Depending on where you are in the country, I have a couple of contacts who will helpout.

Easy to drive and smiles per mile is huge. If you are asking on here then your interest indicates you will not regret it.

This vehicle MAY just be an Ex Corparate one. Used to allow the general public to pay to drive it off road.

ENQUIRE if it has been so used. IF, it has, it may well have 'Difficulties'!

In particular, the gearbox or Poss the beval boxes. ASK before commiting! If it has had corparate use, I would get it inspected & tetsed by someone who is knowlegable on Ferrets.

IF it has a potential Gearbox fault, it COULD end up costing you a small fortune & the grief that comes with it!

Just my own personal advice! Better safe than sorry! :embarrassed:

Mike

Looks like the Mark 2/3 on Ebay went for £4550 - not a bad price for what looked like a reasonable Ferret.

The photos weren't great, but it didn't look like an ex corporate 'victim' to me - just probably never been painted since being sold off by the Army! Assuming the rest of it was OK, you'd still need to spend £500+ to get a .30 Browning and then watch your wallet suffer as you gradually track down the various bits of CES.

Still, as Lord Burley says, 'Just get one, you know it makes sense'!!

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

Looks like the Mark 2/3 on Ebay went for £4550 - not a bad price for what looked like a reasonable Ferret.

The photos weren't great, but it didn't look like an ex corporate 'victim' to me - just probably never been painted since being sold off by the Army! Assuming the rest of it was OK, you'd still need to spend £500+ to get a .30 Browning and then watch your wallet suffer as you gradually track down the various bits of CES.

Still, as Lord Burley says, 'Just get one, you know it makes sense'!!

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

Sold by MILBIZ. Are they a Company? Corporate use suppliers?

Mike.

Mike you decide what they are!

certainly list a lot of stuff on eBay these days

http://www.milbiz.co.uk/

Hello John, It looks like they do a bit of everything!

A lot of good kit for sale there, I guess only a phone call will confirm that Ferrets use/history! :nut:

That Saracen's a bargain with only minor work required! :)

You still down my way? When are you popping over for a Coffee! :thumbsup:

Mike.

Don't know much about the one on ebay

I think most owners drive them more than just to shows. They are street legal & fun to drive & driving them keeps them running better.

I insured mine (in USA) through American Collectors insurance. Cost about $170 for good coverage for a year.

They are fairly easy to drive but the transmission is different from a car (a preselector ) not hard to learn though,

Parts are available but becoming more scarce. I think they are reasonably reliable but depends on condition etc. Not hard to maintain. Mine had a few minor issues but not too hard to fix.

There are manuals posted online with all the tech specs and maintanence info. There is also a great forum called Ferret heaven that emails around many of the ferret owners in the world. A great source of info. If you join that I am sure someone there knows ( one is probably the seller) about the Ferret on Ebay as well. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-heaven/

Personally I think these vehicles are great. They are considered an entry level vehicle for military armor collectors because they are towards the easier end of the spectrum to maintain and tend to be lower in price than many other armored vehicles. I am really glad I bought mine. It has been a lot of fun.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

Hi Apologies if this is a re post, I searched for ferret ownership threads and no joy.

Does anyone know the ferret on e bay currently?

few questions about ferret ownership...

-How often do owners here tend to drive them? other then at shows

-whats the insurance tend to be like and who with?

-what are they like to drive? complicated controls? bad brakes?

-How often do they go wrong? If they do is there a good manual and source of parts for them?

thankyou