Driving seat in British AFVs

ChasSomT.

Just a thought, is there a reason that recent British AFVs are 'Left Hand Drive'?

Daimler, Dingo, Ferret, Saladin and Saracen, all have the driver central in the vehicle, like most modern MBTs.

But 432 family are 'Right hand Drive' and CET (If the dozer blade is the front!)

CVR(T) and Warrior are Left Hand Drive, and I believe Saxon was available in both Left and Right Hand Drive versions

Is it purely for hoped for Export sales reasons?

Just a thought, is there a reason that recent British AFVs are 'Left Hand Drive'?

Daimler, Dingo, Ferret, Saladin and Saracen, all have the driver central in the vehicle, like most modern MBTs.

Dingo was right hand drive. I think the CVR(T) range were made LHD because of the export potential and any conflicts we would use them in were in countries who drove on the wrong side of the road :-D

wasnt the Dingo right and left hand drive depending on whether you were going forwards or in reverse with seat rotated

No Alan, the drivers seat is on the right and when facing the enemy, he could slam it in reverse, screw his head around and look through the rear flap to drive backwards. The observers seat turns around 360 degs so he can operate the radio or lay fire through the front port with a bren gun.

then I was lead astray by an uncle who drove one for 3 reec sqdn duringWW2

Alan,

I have been restoring Dingos for many years, so am very familiar with them. Attached is a photo of a friend's one, showing drivers seat, in the foreground can just be seen the upright of the telescopic revolving observers seat.

GriffinGathering 003.jpg