Firepower Woolwich in February

woa2

The chap who used to run it Mike Buckley has left the building with his radio setup.

The lady wot pulls the purse strings has said not in my expenditure window to run it.

Tis a shame as it did used to bring a fair number of customers onto the site but not neccessarily into the museum, although cafe did roaring trade, but you cant get BAcon baguettes any more, steak sarnies £4.95.

If anyone would like to take on and organise a show at short notice please email jennyb@firepower.org.uk but dont mention me as Im going back in as a volunteer soon.

There is a new Lt Colnel up at the barracks who is trying to encourage more volunteers and ideas so perhaps if he was involved it might help some

Can anyone confirm the date of the Vehicle show at Firepower in Woolwich in February, please? Can't find any details on the Firepower website.

Fine museum but total lack of promoting an MV day, last year half of the museum was closed, indiferent attitude of some of the staff, mv owners that did show outnumbered the public...they need a major rethink to survive

The thing is that Firepower is not a NAtional Museum, with free entrance. it is the Regiment of Royal Artillery's , regimetal museum and therfore a private concern and chargeable. I seem to have missed last years event due to losing my mum and the museum may have been shorthanded due to losing 3 of their stalwart volunteer members (Reg John & Bert RIP).

The cold war gallery has actually been mothballed due to electric and gas costs and the removal of items from the Rotunda , which is now totally empty and closed, down to the Arsenal Site and fill any spaces available.

The nature of the site , no single entry point, precludes the museum from raising any charges to see your vehicles, which you have displayed at your own costs, Personal thanks from me for that . However they must still try and make money to cover costs, hence entrance fee, shop and cafe. THis years model train and wargaming weekends will be covered by the entrance fee to view.

Andy is yours the pig from Kings Highway?

I personally think it will be a shame to lose this show, ok the Museum isnt great, but it isnt the worst either, and I enjoy it as a little start of year get together with freinds.......

And a good place to shoot int oLondon for a night out.

What is required to organise this, I may well be up for helping with the admin......

It certainly used to be a good weekend as the weather always seemed to be on our side and having driven the quad with icicles hanging of my nose for the half term week, it was a relief.

Mike Buckley used these words in an e mail to me" The Mil Veh show is off for 2010 as "they" don't see it as useful or worthwhile and does not have any synergy with a military museum!!!

(what ever she thinks that means) "and that for a site that evaluated nearly every vehicle/item that the british army ever used over its 300 years.

The link I posted last week is the lady whose words he used, so polite enquiries about the show for thi9s year could always be addressed to her.

Well had a reply back form Jenny at the Fire Power Museum.....

She said that the event was cancelled this year as "the events committee decided not to run this event this year due to an unfortunate incident that happened last year"..........

No idea what that was, I have aske her if she can eleberate further, but nothing yet...... once again this could be due to the actions of a few ruining it for the rest of us.......

Any other ideas??

Well had a reply back form Jenny at the Fire Power Museum.....

She said that the event was cancelled this year as "the events committee decided not to run this event this year due to an unfortunate incident that happened last year"..........

I was there last year but didn't take a vehicle (too far from Reading), but went as a visitor. Don't know of any 'incident', but I would like to know what it was, though.

Mike Buckley used these words in an e mail to me" The Mil Veh show is off for 2010 as "they" don't see it as useful or worthwhile and does not have any synergy with a military museum!!!

I notice that on their website, they are having an exhibition of fans in April, and a model railway exhibition in June. I wonder if the fans are WW2 dated?

right,

Been in further contact with Jenny.

The incident involved an exhibitor in a vehicle ruining an area of grass, that isnt owned by the museum but thier landlord. Apparrently the landlord wanted to pull the plug on ALL further events at the museum. They have managed to persaude otherwise, but were reluctant to invite "us" back for a repeat performance.

I am in negotiations for me to pick up the reins, make a few changes to the booking in format to appease the committee and get this show back on the road. Would anyone have any objections the the show being around middle of April in the future, Jenny wanted it to be moved to the summer, but I suggested this would have a dettremetal affect on numbers!!......

Thoughts?

I find that a little odd as most of the Arsenal site is now paved and there would have been no reason to drive over grass but I guess they would have it on CCTV and not just assumed it was one of us when it could have been any of the construction type vehicles that have been working there for years ! Oh well its history now ! Well done for putting yourself in the frame for organising another show and good luck ! If there is anything I can do to help just let me know ! Heres last years line up ! It would be nice to see a few more vehicles !:-D

DSC05568.jpg

Edited by AndyFowler

right,

Been in further contact with Jenny.

The incident involved an exhibitor in a vehicle ruining an area of grass, that isnt owned by the museum but thier landlord. Apparrently the landlord wanted to pull the plug on ALL further events at the museum. They have managed to persaude otherwise, but were reluctant to invite "us" back for a repeat performance.

I am in negotiations for me to pick up the reins, make a few changes to the booking in format to appease the committee and get this show back on the road. Would anyone have any objections the the show being around middle of April in the future, Jenny wanted it to be moved to the summer, but I suggested this would have a dettremetal affect on numbers!!......

Thoughts?

Well, IMHO, a show is better than NO show! Well done Sir, I shall monitor progress for this show here.

As Im sure a lot of other will also. There is good interest in this venue as long as it dosent' clash with other popular shows also. :tup::