Square nuts

Bodger Baz

That's a nice tool. Is there a square boss on the underside of the punch or do you put a nut in the middle so that it wraps around? Also, how to you cut out the blanks? Sawing and filing could be pretty tedious!

We are always on the lookout for square nuts to go on the coach bolts holding the bodies together on our WW1 lorries. For the first lorry, I made them. Then after that our very helpful bolt supplier 'Bernie the Bolt' asked around his contacts and came up with a load. More recently, Tim (aka' Great War Truck') has found that they still use them in the US and has brought some back in his luggage after buying them in an ordinary hardware store. Now, this doesn't help you very much other than if you are prepared to pay for them, could you get a US supplier to box some up for you?

Not very helpful, I'm afraid, but they do at least still make them in UNC sizes.

Good luck!

Steve

That's a nice tool. Is there a square boss on the underside of the punch or do you put a nut in the middle so that it wraps around? Also, how to you cut out the blanks? Sawing and filing could be pretty tedious!

We are always on the lookout for square nuts to go on the coach bolts holding the bodies together on our WW1 lorries. For the first lorry, I made them. Then after that our very helpful bolt supplier 'Bernie the Bolt' asked around his contacts and came up with a load. More recently, Tim (aka' Great War Truck') has found that they still use them in the US and has brought some back in his luggage after buying them in an ordinary hardware store. Now, this doesn't help you very much other than if you are prepared to pay for them, could you get a US supplier to box some up for you?

Not very helpful, I'm afraid, but they do at least still make them in UNC sizes.

Good luck!

Steve

Hi Steve

there is a square boss on the underside of the press tool, with slightly chamfered edges so they come out the same as the original ones i have. i have found some US traders on line who have them , maybe the way to go. i can get bigger and smaller easy but its the 1/4 and 5/16 thats pain. may have to get some made.

Cheers

Baz

That's a good site. Have added it to my favourites. The nuts look a bit lightweight but might do in the right place. Can't find 'Grover' or 'Thackery' washers there though! (My current search!)

Steve

I've bought growers (British types), to use on Dodge and GMC, at their local shop , here in my neighborhood.

Thanks for all the input everybody, making headway, have sent an enquiry to Fabory.

currently looking at getting them from Canada as i have a friend over there that can send them. they are readily available in the states and Canada for very good prices.

Cheers

Baz

How about the shipping cost , from Canada or US , not cheap I guess ?:undecided:

That's a good site. Have added it to my favourites. The nuts look a bit lightweight but might do in the right place. Can't find 'Grover' or 'Thackery' washers there though! (My current search!)

Steve

Wouldn't the double coilspring washers be nearer replacements for thackray washers?

http://www.fabory.com/pages/categories.html?catId=fabory_0000092195_0000092684_0000092712_0000092736

They would need a very close look to spot the difference when fastened up.

Wouldn't the double coilspring washers be nearer replacements for thackray washers?

http://www.fabory.com/pages/categories.html?catId=fabory_0000092195_0000092684_0000092712_0000092736

They would need a very close look to spot the difference when fastened up.

Yes, you are quite right. I will get some to try.

Cheers!

Steve