What is this?

Antony

It's at Pin Mill just down the river from me. I know why it is/was there too.

Thanks sirhc for the identification, and yes Tugger it is at Pin Mill, and I would be interested to know why it is there.

Tony.

I was trying to find out some further info, but my 'source' is unavailable at the moment.

If you know the area, you may know of the old steel fishing boats up at Ipswich docks. Apparently, the guy who owns the Alligator was going to cut them up and use it to ferry the steel down river to Pin Mill where it would be loaded on to lorries for scrap. However I was told that Ipswich Port Authority who police the upper reaches of the river were not happy about it considering it's speed, manouverability and amount of commercial shipping it would have to avoid.

No doubt the residents of Pin Mill would have been none too happy with lorries up and down the lane taking away the scrap either.

Think that was the French original. We had an M2 at Leigh On Sea which the commercial boat yard wanted to use for ferrying stuff around. I did something on it for CMV yonks ago and at some point the owners sprayed it desert yellow colour which looked fantastic but can't have been right. It disappeared a while back. The fuel bill was enormous, but it all worked...

Some are used as amphibious stages and so on for gigs. Interesting.

MB

• 4 weeks later...