17 pdr

Transfer from another thread.

This is my 17 pdr ,pics taken last year.

It is now finished with its accessories,the sight assembly I have on it was removed from an Iraqi National guard 17 pdr that was used in the Gulf War.

So it has travelled a very long way !

Rob .............rnixartillery.

Picture 453.jpg

Picture 457.jpg

Picture 458.jpg

Picture 462.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The gun was striped right down and refurbed,there was a bent trail and light fire damage other than that it had been robbed of componants,sight assembly etc.

I have been collecting parts for this project for about 10 years and its now complete thanks to a colleague locating the sight mount whilst out and about in Iraq.!

What a fabulous piece. I often wonder how WW2 weapons would cope against modern tanks. As the 17pdr could take out a Tiger i wonder how it would have got on against the likes of Chieftan, Warrior or Challenger. As the one on which the site was attached had been in the Gulf war it may well have had this opportunity.

Tim

Yes ,it was only by chance the 17 pdr sight mount came along.

I was at the time restoring my 105mm L5 pack howitzer and looking for a looooong list of bits for it ,I contacted a colleague in the states with a wants list and he sent me pictures of long lines of artillery captured during conflict in Iraq.

In the photographs it showed artillery lined up ready to be de-commisioned and then cut up,in these pics were 105mm L5's ,25/17 pounders and an assortment of German Artillery pieces dating back to WWI.

The Iraqi national guard may aswell been throwing stones at the allied armour !!!!!

100s_Malara.JPG

25pdrLimber.JPG

25pdrside.JPG

I think the last Europan user of 17pdr was Denmark until 1970 when M10Cs were decommisioned and from what has been said they used the ammunition in one last training bash.

Pakistan and South Africa still had 17pdr in (nominal) service into the mid 1980s and Pakistan certainly had ammunition manufacture facilities. Burma had the type but information on what is realistically there is difficult to come by. Neither Iraq nor Iran had them in inventory prior the the 1980 war.

I think any remaining 17pdrs were left overs from when the British left in 1949 and became museum pieces as were Churchill and Sherman tanks.

Slightly off track didn't Mr Bull the guy who designed the Iraqi super gun use a modified 17pdr in his research in Canada.

Apart from a few pieces that went to museums in the states these guns have now been destroyed !!!!!!!!!!!

Rob.......................rnixartillery.

Oh what a Dammed waste!! The British Army is screaming for lack of funding for gear. If these guns were bought back to the UK by the MOD & Legally disposed of through Withams. Think of the revenue generated from the sale of all this gear!

But as we are all aware, the Government doesnt' opperate on common sense. EI: Saving pennies & wasting thousands! :argh:

If the stuff was Deactivated correctly, it's simply scrap to the Army BUT, has a good resale value generating cash to buy current, needed equipment!

I for one, would LOVE a 105mm Pack How to tow behind my RL! :(

Mike.

If these guns were bought back to the UK by the MOD & Legally disposed of through Withams. Think of the revenue generated from the sale of all this gear!

Not if they would sell them for a realistic price to recoup the cost to ship them from abroad back to the UK.

They would remain unsold, and scrapped in the end.

And then some newspaper would get on the story and publish an article about the MoD wasting taxpayers money on shipping scrap steel half way across the globe!

H.

The gun was striped right down and refurbed,there was a bent trail and light fire damage other than that it had been robbed of componants,sight assembly etc.

I have been collecting parts for this project for about 10 years and its now complete thanks to a colleague locating the sight mount whilst out and about in Iraq.!

Very nice, keep up the good work!

H.

Not if they would sell them for a realistic price to recoup the cost to ship them from abroad back to the UK.

They would remain unsold, and scrapped in the end.

And then some newspaper would get on the story and publish an article about the MoD wasting taxpayers money on shipping scrap steel half way across the globe!

H.

There are RFVR Supply ships & Hercules Transports that deliver goods/ loads from the UK all the time. They mostly return EMPTY, that wouldnt cost the MOD much to fill with a small cargo at a time.

Trucks going to the port of delivery to collect deliveries could carry 2 guns at a time. Then off load for loading onto the ship. :coffee:

Transfer from another thread.

This is my 17 pdr ,pics taken last year.

It is now finished with its accessories,the sight assembly I have on it was removed from an Iraqi National guard 17 pdr that was used in the Gulf War.

So it has travelled a very long way !

Rob .............rnixartillery.

Rob, really nice to see a complete 17 pounder!

Most of them are missing the sight bracket.

Friends of mine of the Belgian arty museum are restorating a 17 pounder.

They have less information and ofcourse parts.

Do you have notice of some manuals about the 17 pounder?

Or some close up photos of the sight bracket?

Thanks in advance,

Grtz

Crets

Rob, really nice to see a complete 17 pounder!

Most of them are missing the sight bracket.

Friends of mine of the Belgian arty museum are restorating a 17 pounder.

They have less information and ofcourse parts.

Do you have notice of some manuals about the 17 pounder?

Or some close up photos of the sight bracket?

Thanks in advance,

Grtz

Crets

Crets,

The manual I have for the 17 pdr is more of a user manual than technical and does'nt offer much info into the gun,the 17 pdr is very similar to the 25 when it comes down to strip,quite simple.

I may be able to take some close up pics of the sight mount for you if you wish.

The majority of gun equipment fitted to the piece is the same as the 25 pdr such as tool and spares box,tools etc,I do have some spare wartime dated bill hooks and oil cans.

Tim,

I hope you are well,

what 2 pdr parts are you looking for ? I thought the land of OZ was full of 2 pdr's but it seems they are in demand every where you go !

I have been collecting bits and bobs for the 2 pdr just incase I get lucky one day and find one.

Rob.................rnixartillery collection.