Morris gun tractor

phil munga

Hi all , I've just got an invitation to view a few vehicles hopefully this week ,,

one of the vehicles a Morris commercials is described as an older gun tractor with fluted bonnet and external steering box 6X6 with winch ,, anyone got an idea to the age going by the description ,,

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all , I've just got an invitation to view a few vehicles hopefully this week ,,

one of the vehicles a Morris commercials is described as an older gun tractor with fluted bonnet and external steering box 6X6 with winch ,, anyone got an idea to the age going by the description ,,

That Morris sounds like a CDSW, but not 6x6, it would be 6x4. They were built from late 30's into early war period I think, judging by contarcts list. There was one in preservation in the North of England some years ago, forget where now.

Hi, "Richard don't think this ones in preservation"

think he has some vehicles that are tucked away , one is a Leyland Hippo said to have come from someone that got it from the last sales that Ruddingtons held /what year would that be?

he also has a Humber , not sure what type , But I've got plenty of rechargeable batteries for my camera plus a spare camera for this visit as there'll be plenty of stuff of great interest

Hi, "Richard don't think this ones in preservation"

think he has some vehicles that are tucked away , one is a Leyland Hippo said to have come from someone that got it from the last sales that Ruddingtons held /what year would that be?

Phil,

Sounds interesting. The last Ruddington sale was 1983, there were a few Hippos in service just before then.

That Morris sounds like a CDSW, but not 6x6, it would be 6x4. They were built from late 30's into early war period I think, judging by contarcts list. There was one in preservation in the North of England some years ago, forget where now.

Should be something like this....

mlu 1.jpg

mlu 2.jpg

Phil,

Stefano lists a CDFW ( 6x4 ) on the bottom of his posts.

it takes some following knowing all the different names and numbers , like the C8 quads cdfw cd/sw I'll take the pics and let folk on the forum put a name to them because a lot of the time the people that own these machines may not know the proper name or number/initials ,

going to look up for some restoration threads on them next and the four wheel type just to get an idea of the chassis layout

Hi all , On the C8 & CD/SW Morris Comercials I take it there's going to be a couple of identerfication plates plus chassis numbers , where and which of these would be best to identify these vehicles ?

Hopefully will be able to see the vehicles early this week :)

Hi all , On the C8 & CD/SW Morris Comercials I take it there's going to be a couple of identerfication plates plus chassis numbers , where and which of these would be best to identify these vehicles ?

Hopefully will be able to see the vehicles early this week :)

Phil,

The CDSW should be easy to identify, with the pics of them on this thread, they have six cyl engine, front like a CS8 and six wheelers with winch, there is a recovery and gun tractor versions. C8 is a four wheel drive. There are plates on the dashboard ( orginally) which is the army plate and another on the engine side of bulkhead which is makers data plate ( if still there or readable).

As in the earlier photographs, only the bofors gun tractor had a full piece windscreen, so it is obviously converted from one of them. No doubt captured in France, 1940.

The field gun tractor and recovery versions both had aero screens (for the driver only).

A CDSW came up for sale recently on Milweb - described in October's Classic Military Vehicle magazine as "needing a little love and care sold within hours of the advert appearing." I wonder if it is the same one back on the market already.

Many thanks for all your replies , at the moment it seams the snow is coming in from the east coast making it difficult for me to make a visit , don't want to get there to find the vehicles covered in snow,

Richard I was thinking there might have been more model types than that ,,

Runflat , I think the chap that has this one has had it for a long time possibly a few decades ,he also has a few other MVs but I don't know any details about these yet ,

Great film footage

Edited by phil munga

Richard I was thinking there might have been more model types than that ,,

Phil,

There are a number of different types of 6x4, that preceded the CDSW, but the angular bonneted one ( same look as a CS8) would seem to be CDSW. Best to take a look at Bart Vanderveen's Fighting Vehicle Directory if you have it to hand, because it is pretty comprehensive.

Richard I was thinking there might have been more model types than that

Well, the other CD/SW variant is of course the Light Aid Detachment model, which is probably the most numerous. I know of at least five survivors but there are without doubt more.

The the list of the CD chassis codes is:-

CD 4 cylinder engine, normal control

CD/F 4 cylinder engine, forward control

CD/FW 4 cylinder engine, forward control, winch

CD/SW 6 cylinder engine, normal control, winch

The one that looks a bit worse for wear is mine, as you will have imagined :(

6wheeler1.jpg

IMG_0037_1_1_1_1.JPG

Edited by Stefano

Thanks for the details and great pics Stefano and that project of yours looks very nice ,

Rick , i'm not sure of the condition as yet and had a few people asking , but there might be a four wheel Morris ( posably like the one you just sold ) that could be striped for body parts ? , , Question is how much will the 6 wheeler weigh for transporting ?, I've been trying to find out but nothing as yet :)

The bofors tractor is said to weigh 3 ton 12 3/4 cwt unladen (data book of wheeled vehicles). The field artillery tractor is going to be somewhere thereabouts as well.

I'm not surprised that there's been a bit of interest in this opportunity - Morris six wheelers don't come up for sale very often.

Just to put you off a bit :-D they have a complicated WD pattern worm drive rear bogie, which means they don't go very quickly either.

Thanks for the details and great pics Stefano and that project of yours looks very nice

Cheers :)

Actually it's a complete tip, but I love it alot. I'm still doing the engine (taking me forever...). I think you'll find that short of the wheels and possibly the radiator there's very little in common between the C8 and CD/SW. Even between a CD/SW and a CS8 only the front end is common. From the dashboard back everything changes, gearbox, frame, axles, you name it. Typical. I think that a L.A.D weighs about 3 1/2 tons, the Bofors probably more, the 25pdr maybe less.

If for any reason you're not smitten with it please let me know, like I said, love 'em :)

Here's a pic of the engine as it stands..

IMG_3989_1_1_1_1.jpg

The bofors tractor is said to weigh 3 ton 12 3/4 cwt unladen (data book of wheeled vehicles). The field artillery tractor is going to be somewhere thereabouts as well.

I'm not surprised that there's been a bit of interest in this opportunity - Morris six wheelers don't come up for sale very often.

Just to put you off a bit :-D they have a complicated WD pattern worm drive rear bogie, which means they don't go very quickly either.

This was one part that I have been trying to find pictures of the rear axle arrangement , going by what your saying do they just have the one diff or two live axles with the top worm transferring drive from the front to the rear axle ? the other deciding factor will be the price

Stefano that engine looks more like an ornament and looks as though all thats needed now is to paint the frame that its fixed on , you've made a nice job of it , a bit heavier than I first thought- bit much to go behind a Land Rover