Morris gun tractor

phil munga

The pictures here will give some idea of the set up: http://www.plusmodel.cz/gallery/276/HTML/

Basically, there's a worm to each axle and the pair pivot on a central fulcrum (which you can see in Stefano's picture).

The Humber you are also being offered has it's own complexities if it is the 4x4 version. They have an independent front suspension set up that uses sliding tracta joints.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pictures here will give some idea of the set up: http://www.plusmodel.cz/gallery/276/HTML/

Basically, there's a worm to each axle and the pair pivot on a central fulcrum (which you can see in Stefano's picture).

The Humber you are also being offered has it's own complexities if it is the 4x4 version. They have an independent front suspension set up that uses sliding tracta joints.

thanks for the link that model looks fantastic and might have to purchase one :) it shows great detail ,

Rick , looks like it'll be a job for a pals recovery truck thats if I can negotiate a fair price

I am forever amazed at the different vehicles that pop up in here that I have never heard of before. Especially when, they have a lot of character, like this one.

I am waiting impatiently for your barn trip photos, tell the snow to sod off :-D

There will be lots of amazed folk when they find out what this guys got ,

If you found Alladin's barn full of interesting MV's you will have lots of new friends.

On that point I keep thinking of a movie line "A Porsche is too small to have sex in, but once you get out...." If the Morros is anything like the piccies or has potential to look like that you could have your on line "it don't start, it don't run but the guys at the MV show want a ride" :-D

If you found Alladin's barn full of interesting MV's you will have lots of new friends.

On that point I keep thinking of a movie line "A Porsche is too small to have sex in, but once you get out...." If the Morros is anything like the piccies or has potential to look like that you could have your on line "it don't start, it don't run but the guys at the MV show want a ride" :-D

I've got a bad feeling that the chap may have put some wrong vehicles in the barn in my eyes , because by the sounds of it some rare ones outside and if so might have to post some pics in scrapyard relics ,,

we had some more snow last night , so think it maybe another week before I can get there :-(

Hi all had a carry on loading pics tonight , not sure if its my computer , here's the pics of whats left , the guy was quite busy so I have to go back when the weather a bit better , the starting handle still turned but on engaging with the engine it did not move, how much will be savable I'm not sure ,, but the way in which this bloke said he had a Morris 6 wheeler blar blar blar,,,,, I thought thats what he had , sorry about the picture quality I was doing a balancing act trying to get in a good position which was hard to do not knowing what was under the snow

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics368.jpg

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics365.jpg

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics364.jpg

silverbusplusyouthsdadsbuspics365.jpg

Phil,

Looks like a CDSW........if you go back have a look on the dashboard, extreme right hand side, it looks on your photo, like a Contract No. plate. If you get the numbers off that, we can identify exact type.......if you are interested. Must say, I have travelled across the country after talking to a seller and when you arrive, you cannot beleive it was the same vehicle that he was describing.

Hi all, I wont be put off by a broken windscreen guys ! I've just bought a good size Atlas Copco compressor with the Ford 4000 engine so would probably blow this away with a good shotblasting gun :(

As for the wheels he might just have some as I noticed a front and rear axle from what looks to be from a Morris Quad? ( if they'll fit ) looked to have strengthening bars running from the swivel housing area to the diff ,, forgot all about the bloody "id plate" OH and its been sat there forty years :embarrassed:

Edited by phil munga
more to add

You need 16" split rims for the CDSW. They were fitted on late C8 quads but with 10.50-16 boots. The CDSW would have had 9.00-16 tyres.

Ever the optimist, it looks more than a parts vehicle... and the bofors tractor seen regularly on the circuit has a replica body scaled up from period photos; as does this one I believe: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sakini-cz/2695647984/

So it's all been done before.

A bit of inspiration here: http://miliblog.co.uk/wp-content/gallery/original-british-ww2-vehicles/morris-cdsw-bofers-gun-tractor.jpg

I've finally found a couple of decent pictures of the CDSW bofors tractor that's seen on the UK circuit. It has a replica body (although the top boxes are original - the previous owner had stored them in his shed!). If you count rivits, then you could criticise it, but the owner gets enjoyment from it, which is the main thing.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2767342540103094308zSXadN

http://ccmv.fotopic.net/p56892373.html

12.1940's day - Bitton railway

Edited by Runflat
new link added

, then you could criticise it, but the owner gets enjoyment from it, which is the main thing.
once over some people would not have thought twice to fit a Morris quad front axle then fit something like a Landy 200TDi engine and box so it'd be a 6x6 :( What is even worse is the fact that I've got some of them parts

Thanks for the link some nice machines there

Edited by phil munga

That is bad! The hardest and most expensive bit to do on that would be the cab and engine panels. You would have to be

a)very dedicated

b)have money and time to burn, or

c) be slightly off your rocker!

Good for spares though

Didn't think the pictures came out that bad :) as for the engine panels whats left will be good to work off to fold new ones , I've a good friend with good folding machines as what I have are not up to the job , most of the cab panels for this will be flat folded so I'd think not too bad , Rick did you not notice the missing headlamps

Didn't think the pictures came out that bad :) as for the engine panels whats left will be good to work off to fold new ones , I've a good friend with good folding machines as what I have are not up to the job , most of the cab panels for this will be flat folded so I'd think not too bad , Rick did you not notice the missing headlamps

O.K. If you want to go down the treacherous road to Morris heaven so be it. You'll find that there are a few like minded people who will be only too happy hold your hand during the restoration process (count me in). BUT :(

a) Figure on at least 3k to sort out the engine (white metalling - line boring - pray that nothing's missing, etc)

b) Another grand plus on sorting the electrics (C.A.V. stuff is not cheap at the best of times)

c) Ditto repalcing transmission and axle bearings

d) There aren't any spare parts

e) There aren't any spare parts

When I was 11, looking through my elder brothers' Vanderveen book, I always got stuck at the CD/SW page, so I'm pathetically happy to go through with the bank balance numbing torture of this restoration (you say my engine looks like an ornament - figure that it had been lying in a field with the head off for 30 years), but it is not for the faint hearted.

Have sent P.M.

:( ,, Well its good to know there's a good few people that want to help out :) ,, its not too good that parts aren't available when a lot of vehicles that I've worked on in the past parts not too much of a problem even if it meant getting up at 5am to phone the other side of the World to locate them , A big question at the moment is would the engine or transmission have been used in any other vehicles ? ,,

Stefano it says a lot if your engine had sat for 30 years in the open with the head off

Edited by phil munga

No I didnt notice the missing headlamps Phil. The gearbox and axle should be fine unless you are very unlucky. The engine might just want freeing off. When I got hold of my old one it had sat in a field for many years. We just drained the water and gunk out of the gearbox and axle, took the head off and decoked it and it ran fine. The only money spent on the engine was a new head gasket, spark plugs and an Jolley kit for the dizzy. As for the electrics, voltage reg etc, they come up regularly on ebay and are fairly generic.

Hi all ,I rebuilt a diesel fordson tractor many years ago and the engine had been left with open manifolds and on removing the cylinder head was in a rite mess the tractor never cost anything so had nothing to loose , first removed the cyl head then the fuel pump , lathed up some alloy bar to fit in the cylinders then made a jig to fit the head bolts , cleaned out the bores one had a bit of rust scale low down so not in the compression others cleaned up quite good with glaze buster , then fill bores with with petrol and a bit of oil and set it alight , I repeated setting it alight 3 times before the jigs would shift the pistons down on one coming up it dragged the liner up 7mm ,, striped the fuel pump right down cleaning all parts ( more parts than in the engine ) the pump needed one plunger and cylinder that I removed from a 6D pump ,, anyhow once back together it did not take to much to get it going and used it for hay making

for 3 seasons it used to smoke a Little from one pot but thought it did well :) , this morris has had the front covered over and the engine did not look to bad but having said that I've had a couple of engines covered outside next to each other for 24 years on moving these last year I found one was seized the other OK so me being me got a battery and some fuel and had it running on the floor , which reminds me I need to fit it into the International BTD6 :(

I'm thinking that the engine in these may be the same as in another Morris as I hear someone on the forum might be looking for one