Truth vs Myth RB44

robin craig

Its late so im going to pull the pin and lob another hand grenade into the forum.

Just like the topsy turvy CVR(W)Fox legend, whats the deal with the ever so unloved RB44s.

Were they ever sorted out to the point that they would run and drive and brake in a straight line?

Does anyone have real life seat time or other first hand comments to make? I see them being sold through Withams so they must be going somewhere?

Oh and dont forget pictures etc etc

Robin

I think they are a nice looking vehicle and just the right size if your looking for a "truck" but haven't got the room. They are also a normal car licence requirment so should suit most. They are pretty quick and the braking problems should have been sorted out by now.

Withams have some comms bodied versions that are like hens teeth, but will ask you to part with your right arm for buying one.

Spoke to the drivers of these at an event i done last year.........

100_0365.jpg

100_0366.jpg

I asked them what they were like to drive. The answer was. They were s***e. But they couldnt give any reasons or clues to why. One of the drivers was old enough to have driven 101,s and said they were much better at doing the job.

I would still like to experiance one myself before making conclusions. I was so tempted by one that Withams was selling at Beltring. But he wanted far too much for it.

They are also a normal car licence requirment so should suit most.

Careful, you'd have to downplate them to drive on a Cat B :nono: (GVW of 5000kg so require Cat C1 to drive laden)

Any idea how much Withams wanted for the comms body ones? They are nice little things, just a bit scared of the horror stories! No smoke without fire, I always reckon...

Stone

Friend of mine just told me of one of these for sale just last Sunday not sure were he said the add was at but I said to him you don't want one of them the 4x2 version were bad enough to drive , but saying that there are ( were ) lots buses built on the chassis , Renault Dodge base so chassis could be longer on one side , but the wheelbase will be the same unlike the Renault 12 that had a different wheelbase side to side , engines should be OK ( Mazda ) Phaser Perkins ,

Careful, you'd have to downplate them to drive on a Cat B :nono: (GVW of 5000kg so require Cat C1 to drive laden)

Any idea how much Withams wanted for the comms body ones? They are nice little things, just a bit scared of the horror stories! No smoke without fire, I always reckon...

Stone

OK. For "MOST" on here you can drive on a normal licence as you would have passed your test before the changes.

I haven't got a clue what Withams want for a comms bodied one, but I "think" it's around the £7,500 mark. I had a good look at some of the trucks they had up there and some were in VERY good condition with winch. A few had brand new engines fitted too.

I think the "horror" stories are over done. The Army still has them in service, (although are now getting rid of them) so they can't be that bad. They spent a fortune sorting out the brake problem. The problem is once a vehicle develops a reputation for something then it's hard to shake that off. These vehicles were sorted out, but have kept the rep. For civilian service they would be great trucks. Lets face it, if it's a show vehicle it's not going to be tested is it.

The problem you have is parts for them. The transfer case is a Reynolds Boughton own unit for a start. They were used by fire services also.

I fired one up at Withams and it sounded pretty good. About the same HP as a Bedford MJ.

Edited by LoggyDriver

We used them for towing the Lt Gun around Salisbury Plain (or the Arty did) had one for the ftr section, no real dramas at all to be honest. The blokes didn't have any problems with them one way or the other. I think it's bad rep stems from very early on in it's service life and all faults were rectified or they would never have been allowed on the road.

We used them for towing the Lt Gun around Salisbury Plain (or the Arty did) had one for the ftr section, no real dramas at all to be honest. The blokes didn't have any problems with them one way or the other. I think it's bad rep stems from very early on in it's service life and all faults were rectified or they would never have been allowed on the road.

Hello Chris.

Exactly. The faults to the braking system were discovered very early on in service and they were withdrawn from service as a result to get the work carried out on them. The manufacturer and MOD did the work required to sort the problem out and then put them back in service. Job done.

I wouldn't have any problem in buying one.

Hello Chris.

Exactly. The faults to the braking system were discovered very early on in service and they were withdrawn from service as a result to get the work carried out on them. The manufacturer and MOD did the work required to sort the problem out and then put them back in service. Job done.

I wouldn't have any problem in buying one.

Me too but got my heart set on a Land Rover when I get my backside into gear.:-D

RB44's where do i start ?

The first huge fault was the brake disks, they had to fitt the studs for the wheels just a few milimetres from the edge of the brake disks (nobody thought about the wheel sizes) The end result of that was every time they went out on exercise the brake disks cracked once it went over a bump and it was off road again, (I think standing orders was after every exercise they had to be inspected, and you were always fitting new disks)

My last unit had 6 of them and there were never more than 2 on the road at any one time.

2nd fault The air braking system, they have the most ridiculous over complicated air braking system which was always leaking and causing the brakes to stay jammed on, or they would fail to put enough air into the tanks (whilst 2 or 3 VM's looked for a leak that was either very slight or non exsistant) and i think I recall there being 3 air tanks (if any one of them didnt reach a certain PSI which I cant recall now) it was again VOR

3rd fault They started putting the new secure radio kits in them and every time they went over a bump as well as the brake disks cracking there started to be new problems. It wasn't long before we were getting reports of the Chassis cracking on operations due to the weight and them being cast.

Theres others like the engine being underpowered but I cant remember any more offhand.

As for driving one (can anyone remember driving an RL Bedford ? because apart from the split windscreen the drivers view was very like that.

Nearly forgot You were advised to double the clutch as well to reduce wear on the clutch (which didn't seem to work either, they were always getting new clutches as well, which was another pain to fit)

Once you got off road they were again hopeless, whilst doing cross country driving the wrecker would usually have to follow one round and it would struggle and the engine would be screaming to climb hills in even dry conditions. It wouldent be long before it would start showing black or white smoke.

I think to be fair though that had a lot to do with the tyres, the same as when they started to put the newer Leyland Daff tyres on the Bedford Mk and MJ and the 4WD became hopeless in mud.

Speaking from experiance I wouldent touch one !

and another fault i just keep remembering them..... it's like remembering a bad dream

On Operations as well as the chassis spliting the box body ones (with the secure kit in I mentioned before ) they started being cast for the rear axel housing splitting with metal fatique as well, just past the differential housing.