Where are the Churchills?

ajmac

I was chatting the other day to someone with a casual interest in Armour, they didn't know what a Churchill tank was and asked what films one had been in... for reference. That got me.

We see Shermans regularly, and one or two Cromwell/Centurs in Band of Brothers. Churchills on the other hand seem to have been largely forgotten. Considering the Churchill must have been one of the last wartime AFVs to be retired as a platform in British service isn't it odd that they are so poorly represented on the UK tank restoration scene - at least in running condition.

Are there any currently under restoration in the UK to running condition?

I saw three last week standing side by side under restoration. There was one last year at Beltring, it had attended several times before, under previous ownership. Back in the early Eighties, there were at least a couple seen at events.

ajmac

they didn't know what a Churchill tank was and asked what films one had been in... for reference. That got me.

The last movie I remember a Churchill appearing in was the 1960s "The Longest Day" a churchill Mk7 T341333 which was a trial vehicle for the 6.5in B/L gun for the Post War AVRE also fitted to the Cent. As film stars they have more problems than most tanks the nature of an infantry tank assault doesn't lend itself well to a screen play.

there are several long running projects to restore Churchills in the UK.

As for runners The Mk3 AVRE at Bovington, I think the Combaton collection Churchill Crocodile is a runner, i believe the David Russell Crocodile is at the Wheatcroft collection and should be runner.

Steve

agripper

Should be fairly simple

Depends on what it is being restored as- As an Mk7 AVRE it would require the phough etc, which assuming a wreck could be found on a range (there weren't that many converted) is a possiblity. As a conversion back to a Mk7 the turret front would need reworking as I think the 6.5in mounting required an enlarged apperture. Assuming no further damage was done by vandals the gearbox would be Ok but if the story of the engine being run dry until it failed would certainly require a replacement motor.

Steve

The movie The Small Back Room 1948 has a sequence showing a weapons trial on Salisbury Plain (c/w Stonehedge in the background of a firing point-just in case the audience didn't know the ref. to salisbury plain). The target is an early Churchill Mk1-2. (The movie has an early appearance by the actor Sid James, as a publican.)

There are a number of propergander newsreals that show Churchills, one springs to mind shows Churchill Mk4s of 144th RTR (East Lancashire Rgt.) during a cross country run. Later 144th served in ETO in Shermans.

Steve

Steveo578

As for runners The Mk3 AVRE at Bovington, I think the Combaton collection Churchill Crocodile is a runner, i believe the David Russell Crocodile is at the Wheatcroft collection and should be runner.

There is a second Mk7 probably a Croc. at the Wheatcroft collection it is a later model fitted with 4 bolt spaced out armour attachment points.

Steve

A local collector up here (Kendal) had a Crocodile which he restored back in the 80's to running condition, i beleive he sold it though, shame... it was his fault i got infected with this sickness for green stuff :)

I beleive, according to the Churchill register that this Croc' went to the Wheatcroft collection so could well be that one

I saw three last week standing side by side under restoration. There was one last year at Beltring, it had attended several times before, under previous ownership. Back in the early Eighties, there were at least a couple seen at events.

Last time I saw 3 sitting side by side under restoration was with a certain firm out Ashford way who shall remain nameless (but don't do a wonderful job on Stalwarts) - there was a Crocodile, a Mk VII and a very early one - a Mk III perhaps??? I know I was filled with evil thoughts at the sight of them!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Bodge Deep

I beleive, according to the Churchill register that this Croc' went to the Wheatcroft collection so could well be that one

I should have looked at "armour in focus" site first, but I actually spotted it while I was looking for the Matilda for the other thread.

Steve

There are a few non runners about -again Armour in Focus Churchill site is useful, but without listing all they spread from Eden Camp in Yorkshire to Isle of wight and of course Bovington has non runners- The Bovington Mk7, the last built tank was delivered there without being issued, should be a candidate to get running if there ever was one.

Steve

There's also a Churchill Crocodile at Fort Mont Barey (sp?) on the Western side of Brest, Brittany. Although the liberation of Brittany and the Brest peninsula was a largely US affair, Churchill Crocodiles were used in the battle. I think it's complete, but is a static exhibit.