my wc 51

jimmy harleston eng

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi there.

the winter kit was purchased from allied forces canvas and is a really well made piece of kit. fits on with minimal fuss and makes the ride so much nicer. i found the ustac no on an original kit pictured on ww2 dodge forum so i adapted it for mine.

the paint was matched from a panel off our carryall. it was one of the inside panels from under the rear windows and seemed to be original and not sun faded. we had it analized and mixed to this original colour.it was all fairly painless and seemed right. there is alot of shades of olive drab available out there and its hard to know which too get so we were pretty happy with this.

my chassis number is 81594562

the dodge is ex norway and has been in civilian hands since about 1990. i dont suppose anyone recognises it and could possibly put me onto any previous owners? i have one pic of it on display in the early 90's at the first stoneleigh show on the ?? birmingham area mvt stall??

regards jimmy

DSCF2632.jpg

Your truck looks like it has all the original early features, like the symettrical 'wire-in' grilles (as opposed to the later 'wire-on' versions) and it probably has the captive nuts to hold the DODGE sign to the radiator top shell and not just two drilled holes as seen on so many others.

Your truck should also NOT have the following on it;

1. no holes for jerry can carriers on running boards
  2. no mountings for Universal Rifle Carrier
  3. no third terminal for left hand front headlight wiring block - the third wire should feed straight to the add-on blackout light.

Gordon

Thats a LOVELY looking WC51.....a real credit to you.I especially like the blue drab serial numbers......is that the correct number and do you have the build card from chrysler for it ?

Does it possess all the early features ?

regards

Lloyd

thanks alot for the compliments. the truck seems very very original all early aspects seem correct. i dont think its ever been apart. it has had a later engine fitted, with the bolt on oil filler. the number on the hood when i bought it was 293108 and had been assured that it was original,however looking through the books it seemed to not fall into any recorded number sequence????? after some pondering and head scratching decided to change the 1 to a 7 ????. making it fit in the statistics.

have been in contact with chrysler about the build card and they do have the details ,however have not sent for it... regards jimmy

Thats brilliant Jimmy..i am especially interested in early WCs as i have just paid a deposit on and secured a 1942 WC51 tonight...chassis number..81563573.

My preference was a 52 but this 51 came along and looks and runs great so i guess i will have to do without a winch....:-)

Be interested to compare notes on your early 51 and mine when i get it some to sunny Suffolk.

Regards

Lloyd

Sound advice Tony..but i think you are just a little bit biased.....;-)

Incidentally is there any MPG difference between the 2.....(additional winch weight etc )

Regards

Lloyd

Officially both are reated at 8 mpg. Bear in mind, this is American Gallon and 80 octane . Belting around Europe, Jersey and UK, I get about 21 mpg on modern fuel, and oils, out of mine. Admittedly about 45 mph flat out, but why go to fast? Gives people time to admire the Dodge and feel jealous. :angel: