Gawd whats that?

alan turner (RIP)

Mike,

I think you have a Janes book there, forgot about my copy, it has different photos, but does give the following info;

"the Giraffe 225 is a two wheel drive vehicle.........which led to the development of the Giraffe 342 which is now in service with the British Armed Forces. .......The 342 has four wheel drive and steer"

A photo of the 342 shows cab on left and the exhaust cowl as on Alan's photo. It has a makers name of Mark (UK) Ltd, who must have taken over Liner Ltd

Liner 2-25 was a civilian model introduced in 1974 and evaluated by the Army in about 1978. It could lift 2032 Kg

This lead to an improved 3-21 capable of lifting 3048Kg. Both were Perkins 4236 engine powered.

The model actually being deployed was the 342, a Militarised Giraffe 3-21. This was opowered by a Perkins D3-152 (ackording to the book but I don't know what that is) The 342 could lift 2359 Kg, or a Nato 1814Kg pallet to 5.64 metre height or extended frwards to 3.7 Metres

Edited by antarmike

Yes 78/79 Janes support equipment, but still I can't find a L.H.D. version in what I have which is why I said cab was on wrong side for a giraffe!

I have the 1983 copy, which shows two as LHD. Working on a lot of plant for the Army through that period, I never came across one, it looks, from what I read that they might have been trialled with the MoD, but not used in large numbers.

Ah, Ranger! That brings back amusing memories. I was an apprentice at EMI when the fire control system was being developed and designed the cartridge firing wire test box (make sure the circuits are complete and the fuses will fire but without firing them). We went out on trials with Ranger mounted on a 432, driving along and expecting to scattter a tube of dummy mines every few tens of yards (or something like that). Anyway, we armed the firing unit and at the point of firing the first tube there was a big bang and all the mines from all the tubes ended up in one heap. Oops. Wasn't my fault, honest.

So, we'd done some Design, then came some Development. I hope the real ones were better behaved.

hi , the VW engine looks like a 2.0L going by the position of breather and 5 bolt crank + looks to have a 228mm recess for clutch plate which is the largest of the VW aircooled , can tell this as no meat left to suport the preasure plate and ring gear :) so to put a date on it 1975> ,,,

the first and second pic looks a bit like a machine sometimes used on an airfield to help start early jet planes ?? Think there's a pic of one like it in air museum pics ,, found a pic in the link below , 8th post 2nd pic ,,, I know its not quite the same but could it be something like this

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?t=15115

Edited by phil munga
more to add